2023 World Championships Free Dance | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2023 World Championships Free Dance

Aklaus

Rinkside
Oldies but goldies!
All athletes on the podium are in their 30s. I guess, this is something new.
But at the very end Chock/ Bates, Guiniard/ Fabbri and
Gilles/ Pourier earned the rewards for their life time carriers and their patience to wait for the right moment.
I have never been a fan of Madison and Evan and I can not find the key to their free dance.
As nearly always the had a mistake. But the result is mathematics and I am too studip to realize the difference
in judging the levels of step sequences. To be honest I can not see it.
But though I am not in love with the way CB are creating ice dance, I respect their win and send my congratulations.

slider11

Medalist
Watched the medalists again and I can't cry foul on the placements. Chock and Bates do have those wow moments and Madison is mesmerizing to watch. I think they were a bit lucky that the fall was not called as part of the exit of the previous element. Love Charlene and Marco and this was not my favorite FD but their elements were solid. I am a sucker for the package of Piper and Paul. IMO, Paul is the best male dancer and their package is the one I will watch time and time again.

I hope Chock and Bates retire to make room for some new talent but I think victory can be intoxicating and I think they'll pull a Virtue and Moir and stick around.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry but why did the two American teams who are much younger than Chock and Bates do old-timey programs? It stood out like a sore thumb for me here. While other teams are pushing things in new directions these programs were throwbacks. I love this music but this was not the packaging move
I wondered about this all season - Here are my thoughts
  • Old style programs are done in hold and help the skaters to perfect their tracking.
  • The style calls for smoothness of edge, flow and matching lines. More technique drilling.
  • No complex characters are necessary just partners concentrating on looking at the other in a comfortable way without having to be romantic, sexy, sultry, bluesy while getting comfortable with new coaches.
  • The skaters don't have to worry about acting, just pure technique. New coaches and new technique is hard enough and learning it well provides a very nice base on which to build later.
  • I've noticed nearly all of Igor & Marina's teams start with this type of program including the many of the current ones.
I have no idea if these are true, but this is my best guess. I'd love to hear from any real ice dancers if I am making any sense at all or just making up silly stuff.

Last edited:

Aklaus

Rinkside
This is my opinion too.
Medalist should be a role model for young people in order to motivate them. Especially the Internet-Generation would not be inspired by a discipline you have to wait for success until you are 35. Tessa and Scott came back for the second olympic gold medal, it was a little bit different. But I am sure, Papadakis and Cizeron are going to make their run to the second olympic gold medal too.

I hope Chock and Bates retire to make room for some new talent but I think victory can be intoxicating and I think they'll pull a Virtue and Moir and stick around.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
One last fact...
SInce the 1950s only two American Dance teams have won the world championships in ice dance - Meryl Davis & Charlie White and Madison Chock & Evan Bates.
from memory.. it would be the same for Canadians : only two.. Bourne and Kraatz and Virtue and Moir... a few teams got very close, Dubreuil Lauzon and Weaver Poje... but no candy...

fergusboy

Spectator
I think the placements were already decided upon before the competition even began. I looked at the placements for 2022 Worlds ice dance. When teams on the list who are not competing this year are eliminated from the list then the placements come out EXACTLY as they are in this year's worlds. Go look for yourself. I am disgusted that this is still happening (reminds me of the 90's). Sigh.

VickB

On the Ice
Watching again on CBC... Noticed something odd...

The British and the American lacked artistry and were basically a show program like pro skating.. I personally thought it is a fluff piece...

Then composition aspect is even worst..

The judges gave them a big gift or the judging is horrible or maybe even fixed or combination of all them combined... yikes

Vick

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Honestly even yesterday - I wasn’t even sure why FB/S were behind G/P.
Even though I'm a fan of theirs and a Brit, (and have very little knowledge of ice dance scoring), I agree with you - I thought that Lilah and Lewis should be placed behind FB/S in both rhythm dance and free.

I also wish that Lilah and Lewis make some radical changes to the styles they choose in future to show their range - they did a beautiful expressive gala exhibition at Sheffield which was very different to anything I've seen them skate to previously.

VickB

On the Ice
The five program component scores are Skating skills, Transitions, Performance, Composition, and Interpretation. Each mark has individual characteristics that are evaluated; they are scored from 0.25 to 10.00 in quarter-point increments

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
:clap: They don't seem to popular here, but I love them!

Marco is a marvel! He totally lifts!

I do hope they can hold onto a place on the podium! Although Piper and Paul might get silver!
I love them too - and they are phenomenal to see live. One of my skating chums was never into their skating .... until he saw them live at Sheffield. After this, he was completely awestruck.

VickB

On the Ice
Another note on American team ... it would be my third criticism...

Maybe the most serious criticism ... the lack of dance and the visual of ice dancing.. this program was from 1990's Russians who did trick after trick and showcasing...
instead of ice dancing ..

I am a bit angry and sad 😔

Vick