Adult Beginner Looking to Upgrade to New Skates - Edea, Riedell or Jackson? | Golden Skate

Adult Beginner Looking to Upgrade to New Skates - Edea, Riedell or Jackson?

lizzy15

Spectator
I’m adult skater in my 30s who returned to the ice after about a year and a half ago after quitting figure skating as a teen and never touching the ice since.
I was hoping to wear my old Riedell skates as they were beautiful with amazing new blades shortly before I quit but the toe box pinches too much.
I went to my local skate shop and purchased Riedell Emeralds which I’ve never been happy with.

Looking to upgrade before working on my waltz jump more but having trouble finding straight forward recommendations for adults. Currently based on my own research I’m considering Riedell Stride or Motion or Jackson Freestyle. I’m looking at Risport and Edea but don’t know much about either brand. Thanks so much.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m adult skater in my 30s who returned to the ice after about a year and a half ago after quitting figure skating as a teen and never touching the ice since.
I was hoping to wear my old Riedell skates as they were beautiful with amazing new blades shortly before I quit but the toe box pinches too much.
I went to my local skate shop and purchased Riedell Emeralds which I’ve never been happy with.

Looking to upgrade before working on my waltz jump more but having trouble finding straight forward recommendations for adults. Currently based on my own research I’m considering Riedell Stride or Motion or Jackson Freestyle. I’m looking at Risport and Edea but don’t know much about either brand. Thanks so much.
HI and welcome. In order to help you: We need to know foot shape (look this up), height/weight, arches: v. high/high/regular/low/flat?
Also, what is your current skill set and what are you hoping to accomplish skill wise in the near future?

Good luck!

lizzy15

Spectator
Thank you!
I had no idea there were so many specific foot shapes! After looking at several examples I’d say mine are closest to Egyptian feet shape. I have high arches.

I’m 5’3”, 140 lbs. My current skill set is up through Freestyle 1 based on ISI and Pre Freeskate US Figure Skating. I’m hoping to improve my spins and half jumps this year and would love to progress to single jumps.

Thanks again

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you!
I had no idea there were so many specific foot shapes! After looking at several examples I’d say mine are closest to Egyptian feet shape. I have high arches.

I’m 5’3”, 140 lbs. My current skill set is up through Freestyle 1 based on ISI and Pre Freeskate US Figure Skating. I’m hoping to improve my spins and half jumps this year and would love to progress to single jumps.

Thanks again

Look at Risport Royal Pro great for high arches and decent for Egyptian foot shape. Risport in general is good for high arches, but Royal line for Egyptian foot. You could also look into Riedell and Graf, and if you need suggestions, let me know! Good luck to you!:)

lizzy15

Spectator
Look at Risport Royal Pro great for high arches and decent for Egyptian foot shape. Risport in general is good for high arches, but Royal line for Egyptian foot. You could also look into Riedell and Graf, and if you need suggestions, let me know! Good luck to you!:)
Thank you so much for your help! Seems from talking to other adult skaters at my rink like the fitter by me puts most people in Jacksons. So I’m glad to have this knowledge to specifically ask to try the Risport Royal Pro. Planning to try non gem series Riedell too possibly.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for your help! Seems from talking to other adult skaters at my rink like the fitter by me puts most people in Jacksons. So I’m glad to have this knowledge to specifically ask to try the Risport Royal Pro. Planning to try non gem series Riedell too possibly.
For Riedell try the Stride. Good luck!

lizzy15

Spectator
Reporting back to thank you after finally getting my latest fitting. Take a long time to get into my local skate shop, and I was so glad to go into it with knowledge! For some reason they really push Jackson skates, and they tried to get me try Evo or Elle :/ They don't seem to like to order Risport because when I mentioned wanting to try that on, they made a big deal of them being tough to order. I tried on a Stride they had ordered for someone else that was half size too big, and it pinched in the toe area because I need wide. For some reason they said they couldn't get that in a wide, so they ordered a wide Flair for me to try, so fingers crossed that works out okay.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Reporting back to thank you after finally getting my latest fitting. Take a long time to get into my local skate shop, and I was so glad to go into it with knowledge! For some reason they really push Jackson skates, and they tried to get me try Evo or Elle :/ They don't seem to like to order Risport because when I mentioned wanting to try that on, they made a big deal of them being tough to order. I tried on a Stride they had ordered for someone else that was half size too big, and it pinched in the toe area because I need wide. For some reason they said they couldn't get that in a wide, so they ordered a wide Flair for me to try, so fingers crossed that works out okay.
No no no! They ordered too stiff of a boot for you! And Stride DOES come in Wide!

lizzy15

Spectator
Ugh 😣 Thank you! Irritated that they told me that. Thankfully I didn’t pay for them before having something to try on.

Would a 50 stiffness rating be the highest you’d recommend? I see the Flairs are a 70 🙁

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ugh 😣 Thank you! Irritated that they told me that. Thankfully I didn’t pay for them before having something to try on.

Would a 50 stiffness rating be the highest you’d recommend? I see the Flairs are a 70 🙁
Yes, 50 is the highest I would suggest for your needs/stats at this point.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hm, that is strange they said they couldn't get the Stride in a wide for you - as @Ic3Rabbit says, it's definitely available. I think it'd be worth asking them about it again. In the meantime, you could try on the Flair they ordered for sizing, since the length and width should be the same / very similar to the Stride - they use the same sizing chart per Riedell's website.

Just keep in mind that the Flair is a low-cut model - so it'll very likely feel different from the Stride at / above the ankle. (Though as I'm typing this, I realized you already tried on the Stride, so you've already got an idea of how it will fit there, thankfully!)

lizzy15

Spectator
Hm, that is strange they said they couldn't get the Stride in a wide for you - as @Ic3Rabbit says, it's definitely available. I think it'd be worth asking them about it again. In the meantime, you could try on the Flair they ordered for sizing, since the length and width should be the same / very similar to the Stride - they use the same sizing chart per Riedell's website.

Just keep in mind that the Flair is a low-cut model - so it'll very likely feel different from the Stride at / above the ankle. (Though as I'm typing this, I realized you already tried on the Stride, so you've already got an idea of how it will fit there, thankfully!)
Thank you! Yes, that’s my other worry about the Flair. I’ve never worn a low-cut boot. All he said during my fitting was the toe is automatically slightly wider because of the slightly different design of Flair. I’m still at a loss for why they told me they couldn’t order Stride in wide.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you! Yes, that’s my other worry about the Flair. I’ve never worn a low-cut boot. All he said during my fitting was the toe is automatically slightly wider because of the slightly different design of Flair. I’m still at a loss for why they told me they couldn’t order Stride in wide.
Double check with the fitter. There are still supply chain issues. It could be a simple issue of available stock: that is, the Stride wide might be out of stock at the factory, and it's unknown when stock will be available. You should also ask them why they suggested the Flair (low cut, looser ankle) instead of the Motion (regular cut, regular ankle). Was this also an issue of available stock, perhaps, or, as you mentioned, a wider toebox? The Flair and the Motion are the next step up from the Stride, but they are both rated 70 stiffness.

If they don't have satisfactory answers, you should consider finding another fitter.

Last edited: