2015 World Team Trophy Gala | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy Gala

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I guess what mattered this year was FP and not the sum of both programs? Because the ones who skate as "gold medalists" with encore are P/C (even though W/P have more points SD+FD), same with D/R...

Yeah, they're only considering the winners of the FS, not the winners of the overall event :( which makes me kind of sad

Matilda

Medalist
I'm glad Sui/Han are included, but I wish Javi and Denis did only one program and that instead of their second programs they had included ZijunLi and Honey in the gala.

firal

Record Breaker
Apparently Mura is doing another song from POTO as a gala program...it never ends does it :biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don't understand this. Choreographers are supposed to be inspired to create, at least in part, by music. So why are so many of them just recycling the same old thing? Is it because skaters are extremely conservative or don't have broad musical knowledge and insist that they want Carmen or POTO ? Or because the choreographer has limited musical knowledge? Or what?

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I don't understand this. Choreographers are supposed to be inspired to create, at least in part, by music. So why are so many of them just recycling the same old thing? Is it because skaters are extremely conservative or don't have broad musical knowledge and insist that they want Carmen or POTO ? Or because the choreographer has limited musical knowledge? Or what?

Time for federations to start bringing in a Western music history professor? :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I say the same thing about movies these days. I think you might have a point about some of them not having a broad understanding of what music is out there and readily available. I think the role musicians could play in creating music for programs and mixing arrangements is underwhelming.

Maybe if it could be incorporated into a college curriculum under the arts and sciences programs we'd see more people getting involved and pushing the boundaries. As it stands now choreography and musical choices are about as status quo as anything I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Ha ha - it doesn't have to be a history of Western music professor, although there's a lot of great Western music that just doesn't get used. Even overused composers like Tchaikovsky have lesser known or used pieces - why not use them ?!

I also love Latin music, African music , and percussion and stuff with Asian influences - for example the kind of eclectic stuff that Yo Yo Ma does with Silk Road (D10 used one for his FS this year). There 's also a lot of great popular music - both vocal and instrumental, acoustic and electric - from the 1940s through today that probably would work well.

I agree with Sam that if music was incorporated into a school or university curriculum it would help. My first exposure to classical music, opera, etc. was at home, but I also had the opportunity to sing and play an instrument in school, and the university I attended wanted us to be well rounded so I had to take a music survey course there as well. But I think a lot of those opportunities and requirements have been cut to save money.

Still, for someone who wants to learn, Google and You Tube are fabulous resources. I get the feeling that many skaters and choreographers limit their music research on You Tube to clips of skaters rather than exploring farther afield.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I actually meant that FS Choreography and Figure skating as a whole should be included into a college program under the umbrella of arts and sciences (I could have worded it much better)I completely agree that more people should better study music. Probably a fruitless argument though as I'm sure many people would suggest the same thing about advanced math classes and I would heartily disagree :laugh:

Out of curiosity....are their schools that offer this type of program and I'm just unaware of it? Maybe I should take this to the stupid questions thread.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Woah..new ex for Jason? Hip hop...Beyonce, Usher, LMFAO and Kanye West...that's a somewhat eclectic group of artists....curious which songs....

ETA: Not sad to not be seeing Cotton Eye Joe again. ;)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Double whammy - finally, finally, a new ex for Max! I've no idea what "100 close" is, but it's not Black Betty. Yayyyyyy.

Although, Amazing Grace for the Team USA performance? Errrr...