2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 187 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I'm depressed because of Zagi :(.
A GP final without her would not be a highlight, at least for me :(

:palmf: There is no way, no chance that Alina Zagitova won't qualify for GPF. It would be considered a "black swan" event if that happens.

:cool14:

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
Can we even properly assess Alina's, Maria's and Liza's form on that rink full of water? :scratch2:

Alina was perfect on warmup and did a run through of all 3 of her SP jumps together. The ice wasn't the issue for her but you could see how hesitant she was going into the lutz. She almost paused her rhythm for a second before jumping, she Mah have been thinking about her mistake from 2 weeks ago. Then she could have made the mistake on the flip loop because she doesn't always do this combination in her short program. Liza may have just lost confidence after the axel fall and she only competed 2 weeks ago so only rally had 1.5 weeks to get used to this new layout. It's very challenging changing something you have been practicing for months. Maria was great in my opinion and the flip just kinda got away from her a little bit but I think she will do fine in the long

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Ok guys, we've got serious talent alert right here. :shocked:

Her name is Uliana Vasilieva, b. 2009. I read she is from small town Pavlovo, 400km away from Moscow. Won Kudriavtsev's tourney two weeks ago with a fall(!) against 30 competitors. All jumps in second half, topped all charts: TES, PCS (SS, PE, IN).

What's the name of tournament in your video?
And while her jumps(apart from the << 2Lo in combo) are really high and impressive for her age, that's not even the thing.

She skates so well and the choreo / musical timing and expression are amazingly involved. Special highlights are the very beginning and between the 2 spins and after the choreo sequence. And before the last lutz. And the ending. Actually, almost the whole program...

Изумрудный лед I believe is the name of the tournament... Emerald Ice says google translate.

I am not sure what her PCS was but I believe #2 got a bit over 25 points and she should get over 40, or at least very close. TES was 18.61 and she got 20.27 PCS last competition with a fall.

And yeah, Pavlova... not sure what kind of a skating scene that place has. She should participate in another competition next weekend and hopefully she has a skate without falls and a bit more rotated 2Lo there.

russianfan

Match Penalty
with that kind of free skate she can just skip SP next time :biggrin:
confidently winning after 62 in SP... that's just wow

madison

Record Breaker
So happy for Alina :love:
Hope she'll work on that short program cause otherwise she'll kill us. I have to say that's very intense to be her fan :biggrin:
I don't get what's happening in the short. Maybe because she finds the music heavy and doesn't feel comfortable?

LRK

Record Breaker
Some skaters find the SP more nerve-wracking, because there is less room for error. I don't know if Alina is one of them, but it could be a reason.

edten2

Rinkside
wow Alina! I used to like Medvedeva the most, but that free program of Zagitova is just the best thing ever in figure skating to me. I am really thrilled for her, love her!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Zagitova's SP mistakes and are more than likely just a testimony to her youth. You can tell even with that what a strong competitor she is due to her ability to bounce back in the LP. I am not a fan of her program layout but you have to give her massive respect for coming through like that.

I don't think we should be talking about anyone's 'time'. A lot can happen in four years. Alina is not yet Medvedeva level but if she has a shot at the podium she should reach out and grab it.

tars

Record Breaker
I can't believe Alina pulled it off after that 5th in short! :eeking:
And Maria too? With WSM Kaetlyn (whom I respect very much!) in first? Are you kidding me!? :laugh2:

Those Russian babies are the unstoppable force! :2thumbs: