2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 242 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Shayuki

Record Breaker
That makes it painfully obvious.

Neeeeeed more Anna Shcherbakova dance videos, hopefully soon!

0:24-0:29 is probably my favorite because it's such a silly move but Anna makes it look like the coolest thing ever.

Yes, we really can’t judge skating skills from the screen at all. To be able to differentiate between good and bad skating skills, and how the scores compare, we need to be where the judges are.

And I prefer skating with complicated turns over speed as well. Just seems more impressive.
My new love regarding skating skills are rapid cross-legged choctaw sequences. Just so beautiful.

But also keep in mind that those complicated steps and turns can also be executed with high quality - It's not an either-or. I also prefer skating with lots of complicated steps and turns, but ones done with high quality - not just done. Also, speed isn't an either-or, either. You can have speed while doing them, too. Actually, that goes hand-in-hand with high quality.

alvina9894

Final Flight
Yes, we really can’t judge skating skills from the screen at all. To be able to differentiate between good and bad skating skills, and how the scores compare, we need to be where the judges are.

And I prefer skating with complicated turns over speed as well. Just seems more impressive.

I prefer complicated turns WITH speed, depth and fluidity. I also look at the ability to accelerate efficiently.
Neither pure speed with rough footwork or poorly executed transitions impresses me.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Better quality video.

I miss Anna so much, even if she can't jumps quads anymore.
She has so much more to add on the junior scene: sublime artistry (a bit introverted style, like Julia), grace and amazing hands. :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD3RgMRGCHc
To me her best feature is that... Well, again I can't really explain it well. But to me she hits all the smallest details right. Like you could probably spend dozens of hours with a choreographer discussing a specific move and about how you could perform it as well as possible, having them correct you, keep doing it and trying again and again until it's perfect... whereas it's as if she hits these smallest details just naturally. Whether it's how exactly her fingers are at a given moment, a slight wavy movement with the arm, a periodical moment of swift movement at the perfect time, an expression itself etc. and not just one tiny thing with a specific movement, but all of them. Oftentimes I've gotten stuck on a specific movement she performs(might last for a second or two, perhaps half) and think about how that specific movement's delivery could actually be improved. While I'm sure she still has room to improve, I usually come up empty.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Apart from her innate capabilities, I think that's actually quite nice to watch.
Why can't she skate something elegant and 'normal' like this? :sarcasm:
why?
to be like everyone or "normal"? :unsure::scratch2:
I think her current programs suits her very well. :cool:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nastya's programs though.
Next year she can do one in this style? :biggrin:
yes.. maybe tango. or something emotional.:devil:

tars

Record Breaker
To me her best feature is that... Well, again I can't really explain it well. But to me she hits all the smallest details right. Like you could probably spend dozens of hours with a choreographer discussing a specific move and about how you could perform it as well as possible, having them correct you, keep doing it and trying again and again until it's perfect... whereas it's as if she hits these smallest details just naturally. Whether it's how exactly her fingers are at a given moment, a slight wavy movement with the arm, a periodical moment of swift movement at the perfect time, an expression itself etc. and not just one tiny thing with a specific movement, but all of them. Oftentimes I've gotten stuck on a specific movement she performs(might last for a second or two, perhaps half) and think about how that specific movement's delivery could actually be improved. While I'm sure she still has room to improve, I usually come up empty.
You're totally right, it's continuous pristine choreographical string since hand clapping with the sister in the beginning, till embracing her in the end. Not a single empty or gawky moment.
I'd love to know the meaning of all the moves - they are so beautiful (Daniil's email, anyone)? :)

All this girl needs is some body mass for better spins, gaining speed and protection from further injuries. :pray:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Please accept this gift and forgive me. :pray::biggrin::love:

Remember what I said about Anna Shcherbakova - With her it's almost the same thing.

How she manages to perform the first 15 seconds like that at the age of 7. That's something I've watched probably 100 times already.

Ah, also, people like her are the reason why "Obviously she can't interpret, she's only 13" is not accurate.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I can't comprehend this. :noshake:

Also I missed it at first because I wasn't paying attention to it but that part near the very beginning where she makes the sudden change to skate backwards on her toes, make the face and push back with her hands is perfectly timed with the quiet background piano momentarily becoming more intense. Such a wonderful touch.

Going a little more in depth, that seems like the only moment the background piano goes out of its way. It's like a moment of discord in the music, and she expresses it as a moment of discord on the ice. But that's some extremely high calibre expression and whoever choreo'd it also needs to have been on point.

This is some of what I mean with "the little things", by the way.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nastya's programs though.
Next year she can do one in this style? :biggrin:

She’s the one who I get baby Julia vibes from. Not a lot of face but just a fire burning inside and a very unique style that comes out all on it’s own completely unforced. She’s like in that Sabre Dance phase of Julia’s development.

I really have zero complaints about the state of Russian Ladies skating at the moment. So much diversity,

Shayuki

Record Breaker