2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Even with the music miscue its hard for me to see B/S getting above 70 points for that performance, so there is cause for serious concern. In no way does that compare to what H/D did a week ago.

What's hard to see? They actually got over 70 for that exact performance. Also, interesting to compare them to H/D from last week when they were quite overscored in GOE, especially when you think of the fact that they had not one, but two elements at level 2. Yesterday the scoring was very tame compared to that, but YMMV, I guess.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I say the current russian ice dance juniors this season are very promising and very good in technical skills with good basics.
while Loboda / Drozd don't have good skating skills and Shipivelaya / Smirnov have low levels, the younger kids are much better.

Schevcenko / Eremenko, Konkina / Yakushev and Ushakova / Neksarov are very good.
I like Ushakova's personality she's a little firecracker like Elena, cant believe she's only 15, and they beat C/P in Techs

Their FD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM9sYjsqU7g

The experts in this thread :drama:

And :popcorn:

Snow63

Record Breaker
And here people as usual make long term predictions during Challengers. :slink: Bobrova/Soloviev just got 70+ score with pretty average skate and pretty harsh judging panel (look at overall GOEs) and people say they're over? OMG. The delusion.

As for Parsons, first of all, they got a lot of level 4s even last season, not surprised, not even a bit. They are good technicians. Second, they are fresh off juniors team, they don't have a chance to compete at Olympics, so of course they put their stakes early on the season. Juniors generally start early. While Bobrova/Soloviev, just as Weaver/Poje, Hubbel/Donohue and others are clearly not in their top form.

bramweld

Record Breaker
What's hard to see? They actually got over 70 for that exact performance. Also, interesting to compare them to H/D from last week when they were quite overscored in GOE, especially when you think of the fact that they had not one, but two elements at level 2. Yesterday the scoring was very tame compared to that, but YMMV, I guess.

YMMV, indeed. :handw:

Snow63

Record Breaker
So what's the rumour about S/S?:confused:

One person at my rink who claims to have connections to their team has said to me that there were a couple of rather heated arguments between their parents and their coaches prior the season, trouble in paradise. Apparently they look differently on the material coaches giving Shpilevaya/Smirnov. Can't confirm or deny that, honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

They're moving to Montreal (on gmyers' dreams).
:laugh2:

:dbana:

nimi

Medalist
Even with the music miscue its hard for me to see B/S getting above 70 points for that performance, so there is cause for serious concern. In no way does that compare to what H/D did a week ago.
Again, I'm all :confused:

Okay... So what you're saying is that when BobSol's twizzles & PSt get level 3 and they score 71+ with TES 35.24 it's a disaster and a reason to change coaches with only a few months left to Olympics... But when HubDon get level 2 on those same elements in SLC and score 71+ with TES 35.05 that somehow proves HubDon & their Montreal Team are some sort of otherworldly Levels Masters who never err and who can do no wrong while BobSol are a chronic TES disaster on skates?

Yeah, BobSol don't have the smoothest, most stylish SD this season, but then again they never have (IMO). Their style isn't my favorite, but it's their style. I don't see how them trying to copy a style of skating and programs just because some other teams do really well with that style would do them any favors, really, especially this late in the game. Judges still seem to be appreciating their power and their "skate big" style and giving them a fair amount PCS & GOE love (barring a total disaster skate, which Nepela SD definitely wasn't). Yeah, they're not exactly podium favorites heading to Korea, but how would moving to Montreal (or whatever) change that?

madison

Record Breaker
One person at my rink who claims to have connections to their team has said to me that there were a couple of rather heated arguments between their parents and their coaches prior the season, trouble in paradise. Apparently they look differently on the material coaches giving Shpilevaya/Smirnov. Can't confirm or deny that, honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

:dbana:

Well, to be honest, maybe it's better for them to move to other coaches. I mean in seniors they'll be clearly no 2 after Bukins, in the current situation :disapp:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil

I love S/S, but I do have to agree with the parents on this one. Some of Svinin and Zhuk's choices are not always sound - but then, in Russian ID, there's like, zero coaches who get it right all the time, :rofl:

Snow63

Record Breaker
I love S/S, but I do have to agree with the parents on this one. Some of Svinin and Zhuk's choices are not always sound - but then, in Russian ID, there's like, zero coaches who get it right all the time, :rofl:

Montreal is waiting, then :biggrin:

I LOVE this thread.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Again, I'm all :confused:

Okay... So what you're saying is that when BobSol's twizzles & PSt get level 3 and they score 71+ with TES 35.24 it's a disaster and a reason to change coaches with only a few months left to Olympics... But when HubDon get level 2 on those same elements in SLC and score 71+ with TES 35.05 that somehow proves HubDon & their Montreal Team are some sort of otherworldly Levels Masters who never err and who can do no wrong while BobSol are a chronic TES disaster on skates?

Yeah, BobSol don't have the smoothest, most stylish SD this season, but then again they never have (IMO). Their style isn't my favorite, but it's their style. I don't see how them trying to copy a style of skating and programs just because some other teams do really well with that style would do them any favors, really, especially this late in the game. Judges still seem to be appreciating their power and their "skate big" style and giving them a fair amount PCS & GOE love (barring a total disaster skate, which Nepela SD definitely wasn't). Yeah, they're not exactly podium favorites heading to Korea, but how would moving to Montreal (or whatever) change that?

These events are incomparable. Hubbel/Donohue skated home. Do you have any idea how high Bobrova/Soloviev score would be if they would have skated home? :biggrin:

nimi

Medalist
These events are incomparable. Hubbel/Donohue skated home. Do you have any idea how high Bobwova/Soloviev score would be if they would skated home? :biggrin:
Fair point. I haven't checked but maybe there's a thread somewhere where some US dance fan is panicking because BobSol abroad somehow managed to get better levels and similar scores as HubDon on their home turf... :biggrin:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Fair point. I haven't checked but maybe there's a thread somewhere where some US dance fan is panicking because BobSol abroad somehow managed to get better levels and similar scores as HubDon on their home turf... :biggrin:

I don't think so. Uber Drama is just a russian thing.:agree:

bramweld

Record Breaker
B/S already skated at a COR event and could only muster up 71 points or so for another average skate. IMHO, though I just think H/D has elevated themselves to another league. And to be honest, while the B/S FD is decent it's no masterpiece, we've seen variations on the theme many times before. Zhulin simply dropped the ball this season with them. Apparently he had to spend too much time babysitting Nikita and Victoria. They would have gotten a better SD if they begged Kustarova.

If V/M taught the ice dance world anything last season, you need to set yourself up with a killer SD, especially in an Olympic season. B/S did not do themselves any favours this season. I still maintain that they should have taken an approach similar to their gala from last season, Bobrova's posture issues are just too glaring in this SD.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
B/S already skated at a COR event and could only muster up 71 points or so for another average skate.

Seems like checking out facts is not up your alley, so I'll do that for you. They got 74.92 at COR, and later in the season 76.18 at Euros, so it's not like they can't go over that.

Barb

Record Breaker
Seems like checking out facts is not up your alley, so I'll do that for you. They got 74.92 at COR, and later in the season 76.18 at Euros, so it's not like they can't go over that.

I think she means that other event skated in this new season. Though I have no idea about their score in those events.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Good competition for the russians at Nepela Trophy - podium for both, top 2 in the FD well above the Parsons.

Popova and Mozgov breaking 100+ in the FD, making a good case for the Fed to look at them now.

B/S winning easily over the field. Seven points ahead of the Parsons in the TES in the FD. :coffee: