Alexander Majorov out of the Olympics | Golden Skate

Alexander Majorov out of the Olympics

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
:bang:Sweden is one of the richest countries in the World, and Majorov jumps Quads! This is horrible. I feel really sorry for him.

LRK

Record Breaker
Ugh... that makes me really... angry. The Olympics is not just for medal contenders; I don't think the Swedish Olympic Committee have a clue about figure skating, at all. After his winning the spot at Nebelhorn and everything - frankly, I'm disgusted.

Note: I assume he isn't going because of the Committee, not because some injury, or I'm sure he'd said.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Thank you Sweden for taking the title of the dumbest federation from Russia. :sarcasm: (I know it was the Olympic comitee, but still)

At least Martinez can go...

GGFan

Record Breaker
Totally agree that this is terrible, especially given how resource rich Sweden is. It really sounds like the committee is saying, "You have no chance of a medal. You can't do anything for us so we won't do anything for you." :no: I hope there's more to it because I do not get the reasoning here. Just being at the Olympics is a dream, and they've ripped it away from this man! :palmf:

GF2445

Record Breaker
very sad.
This was a dog move. Really dog.
Sweden’s NOC set a very unrealistic goal.

I guess this means we need to get back onto the alternate list.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
We kind of knew it would happen... didn't Swedish fed say they wouldn't send him, unless he scored over 260 points total at a competition this season? In other words, he had to break into the top 20 highest scorers of all time. They must have known from the start, that his chances of doing that were pretty remote.

I was already disgusted when they told him that...

I wonder if there is/was a similar requirement for the Ladies?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I do not like his skating, but he is the only one keeping Swedish men's skating afloat for the past many years. What is going to encourage young boys to skate if they see how their best efforts will never be good enough for their country to send them to the Olympics?

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Like to unlike. :mad:

Is there any background info why the Swedes are so ridiculously strict? Funding, perhaps? Sweden is a rich country, but that doesn't say much about who is in control of the money and what it is spent for.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Unbelievably bad and short-sighted decision. :noshake: And here my small country with way less funds than Sweden sends every athlete possible, most of whom have qualified by the skin of their teeth. Olympics is not only about medals, gosh Sweden...

matcha

Medalist
Honestly, the fact that they did their own skater so dirty smh.

Do Swedish ladies have to pass the 200 mark to go to the games too? 🙄

Only two (2) skaters at Euros surpassed the 260 mark.

Just because he's not a podium contender shouldn't mean he isn't allowed to go, otherwise there'd only be what, six or seven men competing?

GGFan

Record Breaker
Like to unlike. :mad:

Is there any background info why the Swedes are so ridiculously strict? Funding, perhaps? Sweden is a rich country, but that doesn't say much about who is in control of the money and what it is spent for.

In another thread Gravy mentioned that this was not uncommon in Scandinavia. As in, the committees do not like to send athletes with low chances of success. However, I was never able to find out why this is the case. Is it cultural? Is it about efficiency?

I'm not used to countries thinking about their Olympic medal yield (what percentage of athletes win medals). They generally just care about their total medals.

From a resource level it also doesn't make much sense because from a budgeting perspective how much does keeping a couple of Olympians at home save you? That's peanuts when we're talking about national revenues and expenses.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Seriously, what would be the point of the Olympic games if only potential medalists participated? Shame on you, Sweden.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
We kind of knew it would happen... didn't Swedish fed say they wouldn't send him, unless he scored over 260 points total at a competition this season? In other words, he had to break into the top 20 highest scorers of all time. They must have known from the start, that his chances of doing that were pretty remote.

I was already disgusted when they told him that...

I wonder if there is/was a similar requirement for the Ladies?

not sure, but I recall that in Ladies SP/FS threads at Euros someone provided info that Swedish Olympic Committee posed a requirement for their Ladies about obtaining total score equalling probably 8th Lady at last Worlds, so...yeah, scores standard above having an Olympic moment an a chance to represent their country for which they rightfully earned their spots. This surpasses every judging controversy for me, period.

:palmf:

TMC

Record Breaker
In another thread Gravy mentioned that this was not uncommon in Scandinavia. As in, the committees do not like to send athletes with low chances of success. However, I was never able to find out why this is the case. Is it cultural? Is it about efficiency?

I'm not used to countries thinking about their Olympic medal yield (what percentage of athletes win medals). They generally just care about their total medals.

From a resource level it also doesn't make much sense because from a budgeting perspective how much does keeping a couple of Olympians at home save you? That's peanuts when we're talking about national revenues and expenses.

Every single Olympics the Finnish media is full of complaints about sending "tourists" to the games. Sending somebody who has no chance of medalling is definitely frowned upon.

berry8

Final Flight
In 2014 Swedish athletes have medalled in 4 sports only (11 medals were won in cross country skiing, 2 medals in curling, and 1 in hockey).
In the total-medals-count ranking Sweden placed 14th.

That said, this one is a very strange decision for one of the wealthiest country on earth.
Figure skating and the other skating sports seem to be weak in Sweden...
Not that the SOC cares about this but... no letting athletes participate at the OG doesn't help the sport to grow...

TMC

Record Breaker
Ugh... that makes me really... angry. The Olympics is not just for medal contenders; I don't think the Swedish Olympic Committee have a clue about figure skating, at all. After his winning the spot at Nebelhorn and everything - frankly, I'm disgusted.

Note: I assume he isn't going because of the Committee, not because some injury, or I'm sure he'd said.

This sends a really awful message to young athletes, too :(