2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 101 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

colormyworld240

Medalist
I will defer your expertise. However, phenom though she may be (and brilliant choice of music to present virtuouso skills), just because someone can do the fouetté turns at the end doesn't mean I think of them as Julie Kent. There is a lot of maturing and holding out of moves that need to happen. Just being able to do stuff does not a great artist make

They're not fouettes for her jumps, they're pirouettes. And I don't think she was aiming to look like Julie Kent, more like Zakharova. Either way, she doesn't look like a ballerina, but a good ballet interpretation on ice. The maturing comments I would agree on if she were doing another program, but she is infact portraying a child, so I think her childish expressions fit this program fine. They need to revamp the choreo to make it less packed. The packed choreo works for the insanity of her SP to Swan Lake but not for Don Quixote; the beginning of the pas de deux should have slower movements, which should be reflected in her step sequence, but it is not. In terms of being an artist, I think she is amazing, she did the best with the choreo. I can't imagine anyone else doing that step sequence to make it more appropriate as all the movements were choreographed to be held for a split second which is so wrong. She also doesn't need all that to get level 4 so I don't understand why they didn't take some out and have her hold for example the ponche longer. I love some of Daniil's work and his mother was a dancer, but they really should have gotten an actual ballet choreographer to help with this as their thoughts would have been invaluable. And she should take some posture tips from Kaetlyn who has a lovely straight back

GGFan

Record Breaker
They're not fouettes for her jumps, they're pirouettes. And I don't think she was aiming to look like Julie Kent, more like Zakharova. Either way, she doesn't look like a ballerina, but a good ballet interpretation on ice. The maturing comments I would agree on if she were doing another program, but she is infact portraying a child, so I think her childish expressions fit this program fine. They need to revamp the choreo to make it less packed. The packed choreo works for the insanity of her SP to Swan Lake but not for Don Quixote; the beginning of the pas de deux should have slower movements, which should be reflected in her step sequence, but it is not. In terms of being an artist, I think she is amazing, she did the best with the choreo. I can't imagine anyone else doing that step sequence to make it more appropriate as all the movements were choreographed to be held for a split second which is so wrong. She also doesn't need all that to get level 4 so I don't understand why they didn't take some out and have her hold for example the ponche longer. I love some of Daniil's work and his mother was a dancer, but they really should have gotten an actual ballet choreographer to help with this as their thoughts would have been invaluable.

Obviously you and the judges agree. We know that it's a child's role but the best interpretations of the role are not by children. Ballet unlike figure skating seems to appreciate that women will generally interpret these things better.

Feel free to keep Alina. I'll take John Curry any day.

Thank goodness for Caro and Satoko :luv17:

colormyworld240

Medalist
Obviously you and the judges agree. We know that it's a child's role but the best interpretations of the role are not by children. Ballet unlike figure skating seems to appreciate that women will generally interpret these things better.

Feel free to keep Alina. I'll take John Curry any day.

Thank goodness for Caro and Satoko :luv17:

That's fine we have differing opinions, and I don't exactly agree with the judges. But clearly John is not portraying Kitri, even though they're skating to the same music so I can't see the comparison. And as a matter of fact, many children's roles in ballet are danced by both young dancers and adults and I prefer a young dancer to do roles such as Kitri and Clara, with few exceptions of course.

Carolina would make an amazing ballerina on ice. If we can mash her with Alina's jumps then we will have an amazing skater. Satoko, graceful as she is, should not be confused with balletic.

colormyworld240

Medalist
The fact that you could make this comparison with a straight face :rofl: Here is her Kitri. Don't see the comparison

ETA: the entire pas de deux for completeness sake.

Did you miss the part where I said that Alina doesn't look like a ballerina and that is it just a good effort to interpret a ballerina on ice? I mean as a dancer myself I certainly aim to be like Zakharova and use her as inspiration but I can tell you I too do not look anything like her, nor do I have her ability.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Did you miss the part where I said that Alina doesn't look like a ballerina and that is it just a good effort to interpret a ballerina on ice? I mean as a dancer myself I certainly aim to be like Zakharova but I can tell you I too do not look anything like her.

It was not a superficial comparison of their bodies or even their lines. Rather there is an attention to details and a sense of interpretation that someone who has worked at their craft for quite a while will bring to the fore. I think what Alina is doing is very impressive and yes I would love to watch ballet high school students dance. However, I'm gonna pay the big bucks for the experience folks. Saying Alina does a creditable job and giving Alina 75 in PCS are worlds apart. Great music, great jumps, and even some great positions, but still not an artist :noshake:. Hopefully she'll grow into one

I wish I could be as brief as Yatagarasu

colormyworld240

Medalist
It was not a superficial comparison of their bodies or even their lines. Rather there is an attention to details and a sense of interpretation that someone who has worked at their craft for quite a while will bring to the fore. I think what Alina is doing is very impressive and yes I would love to watch ballet high school students dance. However, I'm gonna pay the big buck for the experience folks. Saying Alina does a creditable job and giving Alina 75 in PCS are worlds apart. Great music, great jumps, and even some great positions, but still not an artist :noshake:. Hopefully she'll grow into one

I wish I could be as brief as Yatagarasu

Sure. You and I can disagree with the PCS. But you should know, there are plenty amazing young ballet dancers who are not merely ballet high school students but actually train at prestigious schools and are invited to companies, some rivalling the skills of the older dancers. They are able to interpret child characters more appropriately, as I think Alina is able to. I am in no way saying that Alina can dance like them, of course, because she cannot.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Alina's choreography is too busy, but she handles it well, and her jumps and spins are just spectacular. No, I don't generally like backloading, but it works for this particular program. I'm not sure why some people are so black and white about this. Her PCS is over-scored, but she is way better than most of the other girls (e.g. Kaori, Mirai, Bradie). I love how as the season has gone on and she's now a clear favorite along with Evgenia (with clear technical edge), the hating has come out in full force.

Alina and Mirai were my highlights. I'm so proud of both of them!! Seeing Adam cheer for Mirai as she landed the triple axel was just heart warming. :love:

These are all my exact thoughts/feelings :) Parts of it brought me back to 2010 when I was so sure Mirai would be THE lady in the next Olympics, and we all know what happened instead... Then THIS year she comes and does THAT, I was Adam, tearing up and being sooo happy for her. Alina is a different story, but she's also a highlight for me, it's truly amazing to see a young super talent perform like that.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Question: Can Denise Biellmann and Midori Ito file for retroactive medals based on the current system?? It seems all types of wrong that they were told they needed to develop and grow artistically given what wins these days :dev2::biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The greatest story so far from the 2018 Olympic ladies is definitely Mirai's come back.

I dare any of the Russian 'young champions' come back in 8 years time and putting down an 8 triples program in the FS including the 3A with no cheap backloading and tano to the moon. Endurance, strong wills, fight against adversity that is life, sport (Urs. PCS), biology, politics, injuries, people keep saying no - that is the true Olympic spirit. So proud of you Mirai!! A real American Japanese hero, since Kristi Yamaguchii. Never gifted... had to fight and earn them all.

Hope you enjoy the rise and get better PCS in singles!! Don't go crazy now with the celebration, remember this is only the beginning of the final lap!!!

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Can we stop putting down teenagers to prop up veterans? Is it impossible to enjoy both Alina and Mirai for what they are? I think they both represent what the sport is about.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Wanna bet? Tessa will wear her red mesh dress and Scott his black costume with the mesh cutouts in IE. (See Sochi for their different team and IE.) just saying but could be wrong ....

No, no, no, she looked the best she has ever looked in this dress ! EVER ! Somebody tell Tessa :sad21: I'm not even a fan of diamonds and glitter and that dress is just fire.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The greatest story so far from the 2018 Olympic ladies is definitely Mirai's come back.

I dare any of the Russian 'young champions' come back in 8 years time and putting down an 8 triples program in the FS including the 3A with no cheap backloading and tano to the moon. Endurance, strong wills, fight against adversity that is life, sport (Urs. PCS), biology, politics, injuries, people keep saying no - that is the true Olympic spirit. So proud of you Mirai!! A real American Japanese hero, since Kristi Yamaguchii. Never gifted... had to fight and earn them all.

Hope you enjoy the rise and get better PCS in singles!! Don't go crazy now with the celebration, remember this is only the beginning of the final lap!!!

You act like Mirai didn't have a lot of down years before this, and that she has no flaws in her skating. Get real. I'm very happy for her but I am absolutely certain that there are a half dozen Russian girls at the very least who will have great comebacks just like her. Russians are hardcore.

Wasn't sure where to put this but I found this from Leonova interesting:

https://rsport.ria.ru/winter2018_figure/20180212/1132439682.html

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
No. They got the same levels as V/M and B/S today. They actually beat B/S on +GOE. 112 with this panel is solid. Not to mention that on several elements they earned the highest.

And for everyone's bellyaching about them using Coldplay, if you look on Twitter people are EXCITED that they are doing Coldplay. The Shibs' premonition that casual fans/the masses would appreciate the selection turned out to be on-point. Not to mention the audience was ON BOARD. You think they were at Skate America, not the freaking Olympics in South Korea.
Thank you very much for this, I have been more than surprised by people's reaction to their choice this year. Coldplay are so immensly popular I don't know if the GS users know that... LOVE Coldplay. LOVE the original version of Paradise in their FD !

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
I'm a bit late, but just finished watching the team competition in full and I loved it! It's my first time seeing it, because Sochi wasn't covered where I live.. I think the only thing I saw was some bootleg highlights on youtube but missed all the ~Team reactions/support etc. It's predictable what countries finished on the podium but I'm not mad... I DO hope we will see stronger well-rounded teams from China and Japan (maybe even SK who knows) in the next Olympics though, the individual competitions are already very likely to be won by Strong Nation members, it would be nice if the Team event could distinguish itself more? But I have no constructive ideas on how to achieve that, and I enjoyed it very much the way it was too.

One of the best things about this event was seeing other skaters react to performances, even ones from other countries. Meagan Duhamel reacting to Mirai's 3A was very #relatable for example, but seeing the team's support their own skaters etc. was also so great.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Thank you very much for this, I have been more than surprised by people's reaction to their choice this year. Coldplay are so immensly popular I don't know if the GS users know that... LOVE Coldplay. LOVE the original version of Paradise in their FD !

Love the Shibs and have always wanted what's best for them. I have no problem with Coldplay per se. I had two issues: 1) It felt derivative of their program from Boston but that was better, and 2) I got sick of the trilogy story. Just because something is a sequel does not make it special. See The Seasons :biggrin:

Having said that, yesterday was the best I've seen them skate to it. :clap:

On the other hand the short dance is perfection for them :love:

colormyworld240

Medalist
Can we stop putting down teenagers to prop up veterans? Is it impossible to enjoy both Alina and Mirai for what they are? I think they both represent what the sport is about.

Right?! Some of the comparisons here are ridiculous. What Mirai accomplished here was amazing. It isn't just the Russian youngsters who cannot do that, no one else has been able to do that. Just like no one else has been able to skate like Kostner and go to 4 Olympics, skate Alina's FS and not fall all season, do a 3T-3T combo like Gabby, go 2 years undefeated like Evgenia, etc. These individual achievements shouldn't be brought up like "oh lets see if this person can do what this person did in this many years" it makes no sense. Of course no one else can do those things, otherwise it wouldn't be a highlight. You can talk about someone's accomplishments without saying oh I bet these skaters couldn't do that

GGFan

Record Breaker

Imma let you finish with this, but can we stop with this age game in general: as in you cannot criticize some skaters because they are too young? If they're too young for criticism then let's start seniors at 18 because if you're on the ice I'm gonna give my thoughts. :devil: It's one of the reasons I don't watch juvenile or juniors.

Whenever I talk about vets I talk about experience and doing things well. No matter how long some skaters stick around they'll never become artists, so it's not as if their age gives them an advantage.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Agree completely. Alina herself says she looks up to Carolina. Both young and experienced bring something, and I love that we have such a range in the top at the moment!

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Favorite performances of the final:
Adam :love:
Nagasu's amazing achievement was the bomb! :agree:
V/M of course!!!!!! :luv17:
Alina's jumping marathon was glorious! :clap:
Kostner :love:
And I even enjoyed Daleman's program! I usually don't like her style, but this time she was very nice to watch.
And Patrick Chan... had some hiccups but in the end it was still a beautiful program.
The ShibSibs were also amazing! Those twizzles were perfection! :love:
Sakamoto had some trouble but she put it together and gave us a good performance overall. Love her style! And only yesterday I realised... girl has skating skills!! She was very enjoyable to watch.
Great event! :yay: