2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 828 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Pouchkine

Rinkside
So how does Russia select their 3 ladies for the Worlds? Is it the Russian Nationals or the upcoming Russian Cup? What are your picks?

zounger

Medalist
I wonder when Sasha, Alena and Anna will arrive. Practices start Monday but they don’t compete until Friday. That seems like a long time to be there before the competition starts.

I don't know. I would have said that they will be there on Thursday practices since Zagreb is 3 hours away from Moscow. Except if they want to do at least one practice in the main rink before the SP. Then Tuesday is posible too.

Stlcomet

Match Penalty
I agree on both points. The competition is stiffer this year than it was last year though, so I don't think what I said ever would've come into play last year. If Liza was healthy enough to skate by Euros, she probably would have been named to that team and that would've been her "test" skate in the same way that Euros was for Zhenya. Obviously there wouldn't really have been a situation where she wouldn't have been on the Olympic team (and if Liza had been well enough to go to Euros and finished higher than Stasya, her spot probably would've been safe as well).

I'm starting to believe that Liza won't go to Universiade unless she doesn't get the spot. It's a little too close to Worlds when she's still recovering.

You are 100% totally right, there was no way Z wasn't going to the OG and the pool was smaller to choose from in 2018. I was just sayin :) I will say this, didn't RUF name the Euro and Universiade team like right after the women skated the free at Russian Nationals or the next day? If I remember right (so that's a 50/50), they didn't give Liza the option to skate at Euros like they did Zhenya and made her 1st alternate and Zhenya 2nd alt, and only assigned her to Universiade with Zhenya being 1st alt. Do you think they will name the world team after Russian Cup Finals?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
So how does Russia select their 3 ladies for the Worlds? Is it the Russian Nationals or the upcoming Russian Cup? What are your picks?

My view is that it is just about 1 spot because the other 2 are taken by Alina and Sofia. Both of them will not participate in the Cup of Russia. This last spot will be contested by Zhenya, Liza, and Stasya.

Stasya will get it if she skates clean to her full potential with the other two not delivering. Something like Stasya 210, Zhenya and Liza below 200.

Liza will get it if she skates clean with triple axels both in the SP and in the free program with all other planned content delivered. Then it will manifest that she has recovered. Her body of work during the first part of the season will put her above Zhenya no matter how Medvedeva will have skated.

Zhenya needs Liza not to be perfect, she has to win about 5 points over her and not to lose to Stasya. In fact it means her skating with not more than 1 mistake in 2 programs.

If all three bomb big time then anything is possible, I mean Tarusina and Gubanova. Although this scenario is highly unlikely.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

I think the Russian Cup might end up something like this

1. Konstantinova
2. Medvedeva
3. Tuktamysheva
4. Tarusina
5. Gubanova
6. Guliakova
7. Vasilieva
8. Leonova
9. Talalaikina
10. Nugumanova
11. Gracheva
12. Sakhanovich

I think Konstantinova is the one to beat but she has to go clean. She has the upper hand as the senior national "champion" for the 3rd Worlds spot. But if Medvedeva goes clean she's impossible to beat, however that is unlikely imo. Tuktamysheva I fear might struggle a bit here.

Also as Spirals for Miles pointed out above - The battle between Sakhanovich/Tarusina/Gubanova for GP spots is interesting. I have a feeling only one of these three will get GP assignment(s) next year. Given that Tarusina is the most consistent one, she is the one to beat, but if Gubanova goes totally clean she can beat anybody!! Sakhanovich is the one that has A LOT to prove here.

I'm glad to see Talalaikina will be there. She caught my eye at Nationals but had unfortunately some severe mistakes on her edge jumps. Hopefully she can improve here.:)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
There's a part of me that agrees with you. With her consistency she is a very solid choice for the Worlds team. But the three big girls have to totally bomb though for that to happen.

Yeah, I don't want that.
But Tarusina would be a great worlds team member with her rock solid consistency, and if she's consistent here and others have a mistake or two, she could beat them. Wonder what would happen then :think:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Yeah, I don't want that.
But Tarusina would be a great worlds team member with her rock solid consistency, and if she's consistent here and others have a mistake or two, she could beat them. Wonder what would happen then :think:

Well, what can happen is that next year with that consistency she might be the new Samodurova! GP Final, European champion....:yahoo:

Amei

Record Breaker
Well, what can happen is that next year with that consistency she might be the new Samodurova! GP Final, European champion....:yahoo:

Unless Sofia, Liza and Alina nosedive, Evgenia continues to struggle like she has this season, it's unlikely anyone outside the 3A get big competitions. Consistency is a good thing but not as exciting as quads, and Tarusina won't have the reputation points of Sofia/Alina/Liza/Evgenia.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Unless Sofia, Liza and Alina nosedive, Evgenia continues to struggle like she has this season, it's unlikely anyone outside the 3A get big competitions. Consistency is a good thing but not as exciting as quads, and Tarusina won't have the reputation points of Sofia/Alina/Liza/Evgenia.

True. But anything can happen on the ice. Things change. Ice is slippery. Remember 12 months ago, I don't think anyone was foreseeing Samodurova becoming the European Champion. Samodurova was a nobody. She almost didn't get two GP assignments. But she got it in the end as the host pick at Rostelecom and qualified for the GPF. But even then no one was seeing what was happening. Not even after Nationals. What was happening was that she was very consistent and she was building up her brand and it all payed off at Europeans.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Yeah, I don't want that.

You are underestimating russian judges again :biggrin: RusNat showed that even with 3 falls, uncalled flutz and URs Medvedeva easily surpassed clean Tarusina :sarcasm: So, all 3 main contenders should fall atleast 4 times for Tarusina to be able to even begin hope for something :slink: She has literally 0% chances to get on the world team.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
You are underestimating russian judges again :biggrin: RusNat showed that even with 3 falls, uncalled flutz and URs Medvedeva easily surpassed clean Tarusina :sarcasm: So, all 3 main contenders should fall atleast 4 times for Tarusina to be able to even begin hope for something :slink: She has literally 0% chances to get on the world team.

But I do think that the judges might be a little bit more harsh on Medvedeva this time? One failure at Nationals might be forgiven (and overscored) but a second failure will bring down the PCS me thinks.

leilaraj

On the Ice
But there are only 13 spots for russian ladies in the GP, how would e.g. Tarusina get a spot if even all the other girls couldn’t get two? Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova, Tuktamysheva, Konstantinova, 3As .. that‘s already 16 spots :/

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
But there are only 13 spots for russian ladies in the GP, how would e.g. Tarusina get a spot if even all the other girls couldn’t get two? Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova, Tuktamysheva, Konstantinova, 3As .. that‘s already 16 spots :/

No there are 18 spots. Max three per event that makes 3 x 6 events = 18 spots. And if RusFed want their girls to have a chance to qualify for GPF they would give 2 spots to 9 girls that makes 18.

GP rules says that everyone in the Seasons Best Top 24 are guaranteed at least one spot.

Problem is this year that there is 11 Russian Ladies in the SB Top 24. So RusFed will probably cut two...

To complicate things further there is also the Ranking List Top 24. Sotskova will surely be there so there is another one - 12 girls.

And there are rules about returning ladies after injury (Pogorilaya/Radionova) who is also guaranteed a spot - 14 girls.

Next year will be interesting to see what RusFed will do. They will simply have to cut the number of ladies...

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the world team is Liza, Alina, and Sofia and they all place top 12
There are 18 GP spots

Then we'd have:
1-2. Alina
3-4. Liza
5-6. Sofia

Others that are guaranteed 1 by SB but likely to get 2:
7-8. Alexandra Trusova
9-10. Alena Kostornaya
11-12. Anna Shcherbakova
13-14. Evgenia Medvedeva

Here's where it gets trickier. The federation could choose to submit Sakhanovich to get spots (top 24 SB), but they might not since she didn't go to nationals. They could also submit Sotskova (top 24 WS) but they might not since she did so poorly at nationals. Assuming they do submit both, it would likely be:

15. Sakhanovich
16. Sotskova

And then
17. Konstantinova (top 24 SB, highest senior at nationals)
18. Tarusina (top 24 SB)

If they don't submit either, name, Konstantinova and Tarusina would either both get 2, or Gubanova would get 1 and one of Stanislava/Anna T. would get a second one.
At least that's how it looks now.

skatenewbie

Medalist
each country have 18 spot max. 3 spot per event (6 event). But there is 11 ladies in top 24 SB that eligible for senior next season, and including top 24 WS there is another 1 ladies (that are not in the top 24 SB)