2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 830 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Caustica

Final Flight
There is still a chance though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A89s94gprDM&feature=youtu.be&t=327
Lukashenko directly offered Putin and Kolobkov to take some (i.e. 4-5-6 places) russian skaters to represent Belorussia (where aren't any skaters at all). Judging by approving reaction of russian minister of sport - appearing of several new solid Belarus skaters next season is highly likely :biggrin: Also, I always envy China's audacity in that sense - who can practically triple their amount of skaters by introducing all that Taipei or Hong Kong skaters as separate countries athletes - notwithstanding the fact that they are just provinces of China. If they can do it - why Russia can't?

Trust me (Hongkonger speaking here), if China could have its way, it would rather everybody represent China even if it means fewer spots overall :) The fact that Taiwan (aka Chinese Taipei in sports) and Hong Kong have separate international recognition irks them greatly. Anyway, AFAIK there are separate sporting bodies in Taiwan and Hong Kong (to China), although I'm not sure how tight communications are between them.

Caustica

Final Flight
I see no Kostornaya/Trusova/Shcherbakova in Russian Cup Final.

All three are excused or all three are sick/traumatized?

Makes sense for all three of them to be focusing on preparing for Junior Worlds rather than participating in more competitions at this point. They have nothing left to prove.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Let them all play "Russian Roulette" skating in circles round spinning pointer on the ice, and the ones pointed at have to leave the ice, until the desired number is reached. Sort of musical chairs, LOL

Problems of luxury and wealth for FFKKR also, and no doubt some skaters will be disappointed for sure, finding they are redundant in the greater scheme of assignments, prestige and money.

Interesting for us would be if FFKKR really is transparent and honest in its selection process. I.e. not favouring one rink or skater over the other, etc etc based on presumptions instead of facts.

There also is the money as always making a honest and fair selection based on proven results more complicated. It is financially well adviced to have skaters from the three main bodies in every selection: MosKomSport, FFKK-SPB and CSKA, so the bills can be split and divided by three.

Plyushchenko's Angels is privately financed, I wonder how their skaters factor in objectively. Tarakanova deserves the chance to compete with the best, and I do not like to see her drawing the shortest matchstick at every opportunity just because she has the Angels badge on her jacket.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I follow Alpine Skiing. They have World championships every two-year and the rule is max 4 per country+the defending champion. So today it was Slalom for men and Austria had 5 guys and sweeps the podium. And rightly so, they are the best and there were still many good Austrian skiers that didn't qualify because of the max 4+1 rule.

Max 4 per country is something the ISU should look into, as other wintersports seem to have that rule.

I like the defending champion idea not because it it would necessarily be beneficial to the Russian fed but the skater in question. That way if the defending champion got injured early in the season they could focus just on the WC. However if they decided not to compete the “defending champion” slot would go unfilled.

It’s unlikely the ISU will bring in something that ends up increasing the number of skaters at Worlds. Didn’t the bring in the TES minimums to try and shorten the competition days? Towards the end they were getting pretty long.

As for the reason the GP slots are limited I think it was just so they don’t have a situation where seven out of eleven skaters in one GP don’t all come from one country. I guess they just thought I’d be less interesting for viewers.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
I see no Kostornaya/Trusova/Shcherbakova in Russian Cup Final.

All three are excused or all three are sick/traumatized?

Russian cup is not a major competition, more like a test and the 3A are already locked for international assignments. There’s no point to make them compete.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
:cry: I miss their skating so much!

Don't despair.

Both Kamilla and Anastasiya are probably 'hors de concours' i.e. pretty safe when it comes to proven qualities. Next season is next season, and the cards will be shuffled anew after summer break I suppose.

It is of course our loss not to be able to see both girls in action at RCF. But perhaps they have other assignments coming their way in the few international competitions that are left on the ISU calendar. Are there any, BTW that Russia traditionally sends skaters to??

Valiyeva is still in ISU Novice category?

andromache

Record Breaker
What if Liza and Evgenia both skate lights out at RCF in both programs? Is there a chance Alina or Sofia gets left off of the team and Liza and Evgenia get to go? (Their scoring potential is more than Konstantinova, which is why I am leaving her out of this hypothetical.)

I am still very concerned about Evgenia’s readiness for this. I understand she has to fight, but I think if she has a bad showing here it will lower her reputation pretty significantly within Russia.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Next season will be very interesting for sure, with Tutberidze's Three Awesome Aces turning senior.

Assuming the 3A's stay competitive at their current level, they are an unbeatable unit.

Having three Khrustalniy skaters in the top three does pose FFKKR for quite some problems in maintaining peace amongst its subordinates. MosKomSport is financially the most powerful entity, so I can see no reason to split the 3A up.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
What if Liza and Evgenia both skate lights out at RCF in both programs? Is there a chance Alina or Sofia gets left off of the team and Liza and Evgenia get to go? (Their scoring potential is more than Konstantinova, which is why I am leaving her out of this hypothetical.)

I am still very concerned about Evgenia’s readiness for this. I understand she has to fight, but I think if she has a bad showing here it will lower her reputation pretty significantly within Russia.

What is the last date of official entry for the competitors at the World Championships?

Having a preliminary decision made at RCF still is no guarantee for an actual competing spot at the WC?
Assuming Samodurova and Zagitova's spots are pretty safe at the moment, the last spot is like most others think to be decided between Medvyedeva, Tuktamysheva as the ones with proven past results and Konstantinova, Tarusina with more recent results.
The competition will be intense between these and perhaps one or two other candidates, that's for sure.

But will the final line up to WC be announced by the FFKKR board and trainers collective right after competition in Nizhniy Novgorod has concluded?

Will there be more uncertainty? Will Medvyedeva have to remain in Russia for control trainings under full scrutiny of the board and collective before the final line up is announced and handed in to ISU? She is the uncertain entity in my equation, all the other skaters are under constant supervision by FFKKR officials, Medvyedeva is not. Will FFKKR deep down inside still doubt Mr. Orser's quality as a trainer?

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
Next season will be very interesting for sure, with Tutberidze's Three Awesome Aces turning senior.

Assuming the 3A's stay competitive at their current level, they are an unbeatable unit.

Having three Khrustalniy skaters in the top three does pose FFKKR for quite some problems in maintaining peace amongst its subordinates. MosKomSport is financially the most powerful entity, so I can see no reason to split the 3A up.

I agree with you, but the sport is so unpredictable. At the same time last year the situation looked similar with Alina and Evgenia dominating the field. The only question was which one of the two will be stronger; they seemed like an unbeatable unit. Then Evgenia decided to split and rediscover herself, Alina became inconsistent due to growth, while suddenly Rika, Liza and Sofia gained strength. So we never know. But the 3As are amazing and I hope they stay amazing and stay together.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I agree with you, but the sport is so unpredictable. At the same time last year the situation looked similar with Alina and Evgenia dominating the field. The only question was which one of the two will be stronger; they seemed like an unbeatable unit. Then Evgenia decided to split and rediscover herself, Alina became inconsistent due to growth, while suddenly Rika, Liza and Sofia gained strength. So we never know. But the 3As are amazing and I hope they stay amazing and stay together.

Yes, we should all hope the 3A remain friendly competitors between themselves and stay healthy, fit, strong and motivated when they are all adolescents and start fully developing their different characters and individual personalities.

Next season will also be the season of truth for Eteri Georgiyevna, she will need to prove herself as impartial and capable manager and head of training staff. No doubt EG also has learned lots over the last year after the unpleasant split up between Khrustalniy and Medvyedeva. She will not make the same mistakes again, too much is at stake now.
No dirty politics fought over the 3A's heads trying to set one up against the other or to break them apart. Let's hope EG will defend her cubs like the lioness she often resembles with her flying mane.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Also, I always envy China's audacity in that sense - who can practically triple their amount of skaters by introducing all that Taipei or Hong Kong skaters as separate countries athletes - notwithstanding the fact that they are just provinces of China. If they can do it - why Russia can't?

China? Why don't you call out the real sneaky genius here, the United Kingdom? They have Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Kailani Craine, Alaine Chartrand + 2 all going to Worlds if not more. Not to mention they produced the world champion last year - Kaetlyn Osmond

Stlcomet

Match Penalty
No there are 18 spots. Max three per event that makes 3 x 6 events = 18 spots. And if RusFed want their girls to have a chance to qualify for GPF they would give 2 spots to 9 girls that makes 18.

GP rules says that everyone in the Seasons Best Top 24 are guaranteed at least one spot.

Problem is this year that there is 11 Russian Ladies in the SB Top 24. So RusFed will probably cut two...

To complicate things further there is also the Ranking List Top 24. Sotskova will surely be there so there is another one - 12 girls.

And there are rules about returning ladies after injury (Pogorilaya/Radionova) who is also guaranteed a spot - 14 girls.

Next year will be interesting to see what RusFed will do. They will simply have to cut the number of ladies...

How wrong am I? I thought in the GP series a host nation got an extra entry or 'wild card' so at GP of Russia they would get 4?

I'm pretty sure Pogo's injury exemption eligibility expired after Russian Nats 2019 since her last international comp was GP of Canada in October of 2017 where she placed 9th with a total of 155ish. That would have been outside the SB 24 anyway. She also didn't compete at her country's nationals in 2018 or 2019 which is also another requirement.

Radionova on the other hand is still technically internationally protected by the injury exemption rule since her SB was top 24 in 2018 season. What is tricky and unprecedented about this situation is, though she had a top 24 SB she finished 10th at 2018 RU Sr. Nats (9th of the Sr Ladies) and failed to qualify for either one of Euros, OG, or Worlds and was not even named as an alternate. 9th would have been a bubble spot for RU Fed putting her name in for 2 assignments with the new Jrs coming up this year before she even got injured.

I understand top 24 get 1 assignment no matter what but what if RU Fed doesn't put her name for consideration based on their 2018 and 2019 qualifying results before the athlete was injured? I don't know if the injury exemption rule prevents the RU National Fed from the ability to follow their own requirements on who to put forward for consideration for 2020 Grand Prix assignments or not. Be fun to watch it all unfold.

Last thought, I'm not sure why Konstantinova name keeps being mentioned as a possible 3rd over Liza. I understand she tech the highest scoring Sr. lady at RU Nats but she has had truly awful international results. Yes, she was 2nd to Zaga at Cup of Finland but that was by far the easiest of the GP events with Kostner and Karen Chen dropping out. Only Kaori Sakamoto, other than Alina, was the only real contender. And she bombed the short again at GP France with a sub 190 total and 5th overall. She skated subpar at both challenger series events.

Konstantinova majorly and utterly bombed at 2018 Worlds and could have lost RU that 3rd spot and, yet again, bombed the short at 2019 Euros where a Russian sweep should have been a given. She scored over 190 in exactly 1 internationally judged event this year. If you are going to send a wild card with steady Sam and OGC Zaga...it definitely shouldn't be her. At least Liza, no matter how poorly she skates at Cup Finals, has potential for a podium finish with a few more weeks of recovery. If Konsta goes I'm telling you, it will lead to a disaster of the top two finishers not = 13 or better and losing that 3rd spot. Then what?

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
China? Why don't you call out the real sneaky genius here, the United Kingdom? They have Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Kailani Craine, Alaine Chartrand + 2 all going to Worlds if not more. Not to mention they produced the world champion last year - Kaetlyn Osmond

:rofl: