2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 832 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
China? Why don't you call out the real sneaky genius here, the United Kingdom? They have Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Kailani Craine, Alaine Chartrand + 2 all going to Worlds if not more. Not to mention they produced the world champion last year - Kaetlyn Osmond

You always manage to put a smile in my day, long memory or not. ;) Thanks largeman!

Giltedge

Final Flight
For those interested,

Tallink Hotels Cup 2019 International Competition, Tallinn, Estonia

Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Short Programme
11h30 Adv Novice girls , 15h00 Junior ladies, 17h45 Senior ladies

Sun 24th Feb 2019 Free Skating Programme
09h00 Adv Novice girls, 12h55 Junior ladies, 15h45 Senior ladies

Times local, i.e. EET (= GMT +2)

From Russia
Nina Kabukaeva (Novice)
Anastasiia Samofalova (Junior)
Anastasiia Kolomiets (Senior)

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Sorry about that. Upper aka "Greater" and Lower Novgorod, I can sort of feel the emotions behind the difference.

When visiting Sankt Peterburg, I took the scheduled interlocal bus down to Velikiy Novgord, but never made it past Gatchina since the journey was so slow and I was afraid there wouldn't be a return trip back the same evening to my hosts in Tsarskoe Selo aka Pushkin, which is really lovely small city in summer. My hosts told me to visit VN, so perhaps a next time with better planning ...

Welcome to VN ! You definitely will not regret, especially in the summer.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
For those interested,

Tallink Hotels Cup 2019 International Competition, Tallinn, Estonia

Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Short Programme
11h30 Adv Novice girls , 15h00 Junior ladies, 17h45 Senior ladies

Sun 24th Feb 2019 Free Skating Programme
09h00 Adv Novice girls, 12h55 Junior ladies, 15h45 Senior ladies

Times local, i.e. EET (= GMT +2)

From Russia
Nina Kabukaeva (Novice)
Anastasiia Samofalova (Junior)
Anastasiia Kolomiets (Senior)

You are so helpful Giltedge. :) Do you happen to know if there is a full schedule for the Russian Cup event anywhere?

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I have a question that’s been lingering in my head for a while: Is falling on a quad similar to falling on a triple. I’ve seen many comments saying that Sasha’s body will fail her if she continues falling on quads, but there are some ladies who fell a lot on triples, and yet haven’t had any major issues on health. Anyway, Sasha almost never falls on triples so why not go the extra mile and try quads? It’s great being consistent, but no one will just remember consistent, since Sasha isn’t particularly artistic, she can shine with her athleticism.

On another note, lots of sad and mean people said Sasha’s quads had no height. Their bias is truly blinding them from pure facts. I can’t help but pity them for not being able to see the reality of things.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I have a question that’s been lingering in my head for a while: Is falling on a quad similar to falling on a triple. I’ve seen many comments saying that Sasha’s body will fail her if she continues falling on quads, but there are some ladies who fell a lot on triples, and yet haven’t had any major issues on health. Anyway, Sasha almost never falls on triples so why not go the extra mile and try quads? It’s great being consistent, but no one will just remember consistent, since Sasha isn’t particularly artistic, she can shine with her athleticism.
Yeah, I am always amused how naysayers are conveniently forgetting the obvious statistics that low level skaters struggling with their triples and not even dreaming about quads - falling much more often than skillful quadsters and they usually are having more weight and force of impact i.e. more injuries as a result - which is not very widely known though - because low level skaters are not exactly focus of public attention.

On another note, lots of sad and mean people said Sasha’s quads had no height. Their bias is truly blinding them from pure facts. I can’t help but pity them for not being able to see the reality of things.
Yeah, next time you are met with such travesty - just show them this pic
https://pp.userapi.com/c850632/v850632008/ab2ae/J4vnbeijQ0I.jpg
and let them move on :biggrin:

thegreendestiny

On the Ice

Simply put, some people do not want the sport to progress. They want just beautiful skating and 50 meter spirals, never mind that it's an actual sport where strength and athleticism should actually matter.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I just realized that Winter Children of Asia Interntnl Sports Games took place in Russia and it is not a game for just Asian countries:laugh2:
Can anyone tell me what the game is named after?

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice

The only why falling on a quad could be more dangerous than on a triple that I can think of is: more height. When you jump a quad you have more height so you fall more, and maybe even faster. But besides that? Falling is falling lol

zounger

Medalist
I thought Alina would be at the final. Did she and Samodurova get a Worlds spot ?

The truth is Alina needs a couple of more competitions to prove or disprove herself. She didn't compete enough the last two seasons. Sofia twice more.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

On a video on why quint might be impossible they said the more the rotations the higher the force of impact on the landing but that was if it was landed correctly not a fall.

EDIT: it was a different video but here it is: https://youtu.be/RtFGwpMlOYo you land with the force equivalent of x7 your body weight. On one foot. On a tiny blade. I’m impressed.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
There’s also more force from rotation and mechanical stress on the body doing a quad vs a triple in the first place, regardless of falls. I don’t know if there’s ever been a dedicated sports study about the effect of increased rotational forces on the risks of falls.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Trusova is strong though. Those ‘ballet’ photos for Adidas show impressive abs and obliques (?).
Aleksandra has the right build, relatively tall but slender, strong legs, core, shoulders.
I don’t think she will loose her ‘spring’ required for performing clean quads even when she gains a little in her hips or bust.
She herself is determined to keep them in her repertoire, almost at all cost in training efforts.
And her success rate in landing them without too much deductions is like 80%, which seems OK to me, a risk worth taking.

The mechanics of quad jumps in girls her age should be very interesting to study in a scientific way. What power is required to get the height and how to launch properly, what speed on entry to get the rotational momentum and how legs, core, chest and shoulder muscles should cooperate, how to safely land w/o UR and to absorb the remaining inertia to skate out of the quad cleanly and at speed.

It all goes so fast, a high speed camera reel slowed down and Aleksandra in a special jumpsuit with positional and inertial sensors might be needed and many jumps of course to acquire the needed data and footage from all angles.
I would love to see a scientific documentary made about and with Trusova’s skating and jumping skills, much like the groundbreaking “What makes Milo fly” in gymnastics.
https://www.youtube.com/video?=ZWVMWTOzbgw

And how to train a quad? Using the ‘harness and fishing rod’ in the gym, using the ‘fat suit’ on the ice. Lots of falls probably which might not look good .... but shows how determined Aleksandra is and how dedicated her trainers are in making those elements work for her, The Quadster, the only girl in the world that drives Quads and jumps Quads ;-)

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
The truth is Alina needs a couple of more competitions to prove or disprove herself. She didn't compete enough the last two seasons. Sofia twice more.

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!! Are you kidding ? Both competed 6 times this saison + japan open for Alina and she competed 10 times last year when Sofia still in junior competed 4 times. Alina had enough competitions, she has nothing to prove.

pearly

Record Breaker

I'm not saying that. I was asking if their spots had been confirmed for worlds. I do not follow this thread very much, but do follow skating news on Twitter and did not read that the Fed confirmed their spots were secure. That's all.

pearly

Record Breaker
Ahhhhh!!!!!!!! Are you kidding ? Both competed 6 times this saison + japan open for Alina and she competed 10 times last year when Sofia still in junior competed 4 times. Alina had enough competitions, she has nothing to prove.

I think they were being sarcastic, which I find uncalled for because it was a legit question. I honestly thought no spots for Worlds were set yet.