2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 829 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

SkateSkates

Medalist
But there are only 13 spots for russian ladies in the GP, how would e.g. Tarusina get a spot if even all the other girls couldn’t get two? Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova, Tuktamysheva, Konstantinova, 3As .. that‘s already 16 spots :/

I think there are a max of 18 spots so if the above skaters get 2 spots each that leaves 2 spots up for grabs. I think Sotskova will get one because of her rank so it really only leaves 1 spot. That said, spots aren’t guaranteed for juniors moving up to senior, so there’s a chance they won’t get 2 spots (likely Anna because of her rank with only 1 year of international comps). But I’m sure RusFed will do everygjng they can to get 3A 2 spots each.

leilaraj

On the Ice
Ah ok thanks, I thought only 3 spots for an event when rostelecom picks an additional spot.. that‘s interesting! I think Konstantinova will also get 2 spots and they will give the other to two skaters

rlopen

On the Ice
No there are 18 spots. Max three per event that makes 3 x 6 events = 18 spots. And if RusFed want their girls to have a chance to qualify for GPF they would give 2 spots to 9 girls that makes 18.

GP rules says that everyone in the Seasons Best Top 24 are guaranteed at least one spot.

Problem is this year that there is 11 Russian Ladies in the SB Top 24. So RusFed will probably cut two...

To complicate things further there is also the Ranking List Top 24. Sotskova will surely be there so there is another one - 12 girls.

And there are rules about returning ladies after injury (Pogorilaya/Radionova) who is also guaranteed a spot - 14 girls.

Next year will be interesting to see what RusFed will do. They will simply have to cut the number of ladies...

This is why the ISU annoys me...like it’s the Grand Prix...it’s not Worlds or 4CC or Europeans where countries from small feds should be allowed to skate in order to have representation. The Grand Prix was designed to give competitive warm-up events to the very best in the world...so the very best, REGARDLESS of country, should
be allowed to go. The Grand Prix should be for the best. Period. And if all of them are from Russia, so be it. Like, they say Top 24 seasons’s best and rankings but then they limit a countries skaters? It’s hypocritical and doesn’t make sense...either follow the Top 24 rules completely and let more than 18 spots from one country or just let the Feds decide completely. I hate logical inconsistency.

rlopen

On the Ice
Or how about they just expand the number of skaters in each competition by 1 or 2? I don’t think it would make that much of a difference.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
This is why the ISU annoys me...like it’s the Grand Prix...it’s not Worlds or 4CC or Europeans where countries from small feds should be allowed to skate in order to have representation. The Grand Prix was designed to give competitive warm-up events to the very best in the world...so the very best, REGARDLESS of country, should
be allowed to go. The Grand Prix should be for the best. Period. And if all of them are from Russia, so be it. Like, they say Top 24 seasons’s best and rankings but then they limit a countries skaters? It’s hypocritical and doesn’t make sense...either follow the Top 24 rules completely and let more than 18 spots from one country or just let the Feds decide completely. I hate logical inconsistency.

I agree. I feel the same way about the two per country rule for the Olympic All Around in gymnastics. The best should be allowed to compete. Period.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

It's annoying isn't it!! I don't know a lot about ISU politics but I understand that there are a lot of politics involved!
But I can understand that GP countries like France and Finland won't be interested in organizing the event if it's all about Russian skaters and the home country skaters are firmly kicked down at the bottom.
So, let's assign more GP events to Russia if they are this good! Or to the US or Canada or Japan if they are in the lead.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I agree. I feel the same way about the two per country rule for the Olympic All Around in gymnastics. The best should be allowed to compete. Period.

I follow Alpine Skiing. They have World championships every two-year and the rule is max 4 per country+the defending champion. So today it was Slalom for men and Austria had 5 guys and sweeps the podium. And rightly so, they are the best and there were still many good Austrian skiers that didn't qualify because of the max 4+1 rule.

Max 4 per country is something the ISU should look into, as other wintersports seem to have that rule.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the world team is Liza, Alina, and Sofia and they all place top 12
There are 18 GP spots

Then we'd have:
1-2. Alina
3-4. Liza
5-6. Sofia

Others that are guaranteed 1 by SB but likely to get 2:
7-8. Alexandra Trusova
9-10. Alena Kostornaya
11-12. Anna Shcherbakova
13-14. Evgenia Medvedeva

Here's where it gets trickier. The federation could choose to submit Sakhanovich to get spots (top 24 SB), but they might not since she didn't go to nationals. They could also submit Sotskova (top 24 WS) but they might not since she did so poorly at nationals. Assuming they do submit both, it would likely be:

15. Sakhanovich
16. Sotskova

And then
17. Konstantinova (top 24 SB, highest senior at nationals)
18. Tarusina (top 24 SB)

If they don't submit either, name, Konstantinova and Tarusina would either both get 2, or Gubanova would get 1 and one of Stanislava/Anna T. would get a second one.
At least that's how it looks now.

Good overview of the problematic situation!
I think though that Konstantinova would probably get 2 as she is also on the top 24 WS list. That means another cut. I think that Sakhanovich and Sotskova are the ones to get rid of. That means 2 GP for Konstantinova and Tarusina. But sadly Gubanova is out.:(
(And I hope that Radionova and Pogorilaya won't get in the mix and complicate things).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the world team is Liza, Alina, and Sofia and they all place top 12
There are 18 GP spots

Then we'd have:
1-2. Alina
3-4. Liza
5-6. Sofia

Others that are guaranteed 1 by SB but likely to get 2:
7-8. Alexandra Trusova
9-10. Alena Kostornaya
11-12. Anna Shcherbakova
13-14. Evgenia Medvedeva

Here's where it gets trickier. The federation could choose to submit Sakhanovich to get spots (top 24 SB), but they might not since she didn't go to nationals. They could also submit Sotskova (top 24 WS) but they might not since she did so poorly at nationals. Assuming they do submit both, it would likely be:

15. Sakhanovich
16. Sotskova

And then
17. Konstantinova (top 24 SB, highest senior at nationals)
18. Tarusina (top 24 SB)

If they don't submit either, name, Konstantinova and Tarusina would either both get 2, or Gubanova would get 1 and one of Stanislava/Anna T. would get a second one.
At least that's how it looks now.

Is Tsurskaya able to do the GP next year?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Question about GP assignments and withdrawals.

What happens when someone is WD. I see from this season that Radionova got 2 assignments. First in Skate America and she withdrew with no replacement (lack of time?). Then at NHK Trophy where she was replaced by Leonova.

Who decides these replacements? Was it up to RusFed to send Leonova instead of Radionova or did NHK Trophy decide that they wanted Leonova?? Is there perhaps a replacement list waiting in the wings??

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I'm afraid not. She's only 78th on the SB list and 48th on the WR list. So no GP for Tsurskaya I'm afraid...:(
There is still a chance though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A89s94gprDM&feature=youtu.be&t=327
Lukashenko directly offered Putin and Kolobkov to take some (i.e. 4-5-6 places) russian skaters to represent Belorussia (where aren't any skaters at all). Judging by approving reaction of russian minister of sport - appearing of several new solid Belarus skaters next season is highly likely :biggrin: Also, I always envy China's audacity in that sense - who can practically triple their amount of skaters by introducing all that Taipei or Hong Kong skaters as separate countries athletes - notwithstanding the fact that they are just provinces of China. If they can do it - why Russia can't?

rlopen

On the Ice
there is still a chance though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a89s94gprdm&feature=youtu.be&t=327
lukashenko directly offered putin and kolobkov to take some (i.e. 4-5-6 places) russian skaters to represent belorussia (where aren't any skaters at all). Judging by approving reaction of russian minister of sport - appearing of several new solid belarus skaters next season is highly likely :biggrin: Also, i always envy china's audacity in that sense - who can practically triple their amount of skaters by introducing all that taipei or hong kong skaters as separate countries athletes - notwithstanding the fact that they are just provinces of china. If they can do it - why russia can't?

please let gubanova and sakhanovich skate for belarus.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Lukashenko directly offered Putin and Kolobkov to take some (i.e. 4-5-6 places) russian skaters to represent Belorussia (where aren't any skaters at all). Judging by approving reaction of russian minister of sport - appearing of several new solid Belarus skaters next season is highly likely :biggrin: Also, I always envy China's audacity in that sense - who can practically triple their amount of skaters by introducing all that Taipei or Hong Kong skaters as separate countries athletes - notwithstanding the fact that they are just provinces of China. If they can do it - why Russia can't?

All I get from this is bad Soldatova-vibes...

skatenewbie

Medalist
Question about GP assignments and withdrawals.

What happens when someone is WD. I see from this season that Radionova got 2 assignments. First in Skate America and she withdrew with no replacement (lack of time?). Then at NHK Trophy where she was replaced by Leonova.

Who decides these replacements? Was it up to RusFed to send Leonova instead of Radionova or did NHK Trophy decide that they wanted Leonova?? Is there perhaps a replacement list waiting in the wings??
From what i know its NHK Trophy that decide the substitute, not RusFed

Happy Skates

Final Flight
So I know Tarakanova is only 28th on the SB list and something like 13th (?) among the Russians, but is there any slim chance that she still might get a GP somehow? It's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I just can't wait for a wider audience to see her power and speed!

btw, new poster here :)

Watch

Final Flight

Taiwan (or Republic of China) isn't just a province of China. It is de facto a separate country with a completely different political system and its own government that has nothing to do with the People's Republic of China and has been that way since 1949. The reason they go by "Chinese Taipei" in sports, is purely diplomatic. Hong Kong is a different matter.
But getting a few of Russian skaters to Belarus sounds like a really good option. I hope it happens.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I see no Kostornaya/Trusova/Shcherbakova in Russian Cup Final.

All three are excused or all three are sick/traumatized?