2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 393 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think Eteri‘s approach for Zhenya was the right one. We all see what results we get if a skater of 15/16 is allowed to choose their programs themselves. Elena Radionova‘s Titanic, while skated with passion, was certainly not something ”the judges would like“. I don‘t necessarily agree that this strategy is good for the sport itself but it brings results. Eteri chose programs for Zhenya she knew the judges would like and Zhenya - being the way she is - understood this and worked with them. And most of the time she liked them and skated them with passion (W.E., 2017 SP, Anna Karenina etc), so I don‘t think there was much of a problem for her or her feeling not “taken seriously“ or as an adult. Fact is, she wasn‘t an adult. Now she‘s grown and maybe all the experiences at the Olympics and through this season have shown her that she needs a different approach now? She‘s older now and it‘s not solely about the results now, it‘s about skating in general, a creative journey. So she went to Orser. I understand that people could think of his comment as shady or even offensive even though I personally don‘t see it this way. It’s more like “Yeah, she‘s here now and she‘s doing fine and we‘ll let her have more input in the programs than the seasons before because she‘s an adult now.“ And we have to remember that this is sports.rus, they tend to quote out of context.

About the “cutthroat" atmosphere at camp Eteri. Why does anybody try to deny it? I mean, cutthroat does sound harsh but they certainly have a lot of rivalry there. That‘s part of their strategy. Medvedeva stated it long before she was in this “difficult emotional situation“. Polina Tsurskaya talked about it, too. Eteri literally said it in an interview about Medvedeva and Zagitova that she had them both on the ice the same time to push them. That she sometimes told them to watch how the other one was doing a jump and learn to do it better. And I bet that‘s how Alena, Anna, Sasha and the other push themselves, too. I don‘t think this is necessarily bad, it‘s just not suited for some people. Polina and Evgenia couldn‘t or didn‘t want to deal with this method anymore and left. And I think this is quite natural. Young girls as Sasha and the others are - as Medvedeva was - they might thrive from seeing the others do better, it really might help them get their work ethics straight. It‘s sometimes probably the only method to give them motivation at such a young age. To be the best. They‘re still girls, sometimes they might not want to train. But when you see someone do better than you, it starts a fire and you‘re like: “I want to be able to do this, too!“ And you start training. But someone like Medvedeva, who has long now realised this might not need it anymore. And then the constant comparison can become stressful. Same for Tsurskaya.

So, I really don‘t get why people are trying to deny that the atmospheres at Team TCC and Team Tutberidze are vastly different. They are. Doesn‘t mean one is superior to the other. It just means one might be suited better for one particular skater than the other. And I think that‘s what Orser meant. And I can only agree with him. Tutberidze‘s methods work splendid with younger skaters or those who might need some additional outside force to help them work hard. But some might need something different. People are different after all. And there‘s no shame in this. It‘s quite natural I‘d say. :shrug:

She was anti Eteri before being anti Eteri was even a thing. What gives? Did something personal take place?

I’ve never seen her but I always envision Rita Skeeter

Omg, same! :laugh2: I never saw this woman even on a photo but everyone keeps talking about her like: “She‘s the evil journalist!!“ Don‘t tell me how she looks like. I don‘t want to lose my imagination of her as Rita. :laugh:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Exactly! I hope he realized that Evgenia has to compete with skaters that can land 3ltz-3lo or two 3-3 in the second half in a sleep, and potentially quads.

I'm worried he might start to water down the contents because of "the quality" as he did with Tursynbaeva: with 3s-3t in the SP you're not competitive in Russia.
I honestly don't get the reason for this combative narrative he's pushing where he seeks to constantly compare the coaching teams. If he in a usual manner talked about it taking some time, adjustment to the coaching change etc. people might end up being pleasantly surprised and would be more understanding in case of setbacks but now he's essentially saying she's improved at everything, her programs are great etc. which is just making the expectations for her skyrocket and is so unnecessary.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I believe that an active athlete or a coach has no right to discuss and criticize their rivals. It's just a bad sportsmanship. And bad manners :disapp:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Funny how people are nitpicking at everything Orser says and try to uncover some kind of hidden subtext when Eteri has actually made explicitly negative comments about skaters and coaches. Despite people’s interpretations, his words doesn’t stoop to that level.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I would find that angle more convincing if he wasn't talking pretty much the way he has in most of the interviews about his top senior elite skaters over the past 5-6 years.

Now, if he'd changed from his usual style and messages, and then seemed to be throwing shade, then I'd have my suspicions.
He could have done an interview with Vait at any point. But he gave one right before test skates. To me, that alone suggests he’s messing with Eteri given her known Eteri hatred.

leoleo

Medalist
@Fluture though i agree with everything you said, i find it funny that he needed to say it over there on Russian soil (he's trying to get killed by one of Eteri's snipers?).
It sounds like "hello i'm Brian Orser, world renowned figure skating coach, i've trained several olympic champions and i'm here in Russia after your favorite child moved to my fantastic club in Toronto to show you just how well we do things here; how much better she got in a short time and how happier she is than before." I actually laughed when i first read the headlines :laugh: it almost sounds like he's trolling :laugh2:

leoleo

Medalist
Funny how people are nitpicking at everything Orser says and try to uncover some kind of hidden subtext when Eteri has actually made explicitly negative comments about skaters and coaches. Despite people’s interpretations, his words doesn’t stoop to that level.

People drag Eteri on this forum all the time tho! She's the evil abusive monster who drags children across the ice forcing them to do quads after all :devil:

NaVi

Medalist
Evgenia essentially skated the same LP 3 years in a row(of which, the 9/11 was actually the best iteration though I wish the voiceovers were edited out). She needed to change.

TGee

Record Breaker
He could have done an interview with Vait at any point. But he gave one right before test skates. To me, that alone suggests he’s messing with Eteri given her known Eteri hatred.

As I said, it's his job as primary coach to manage his skaters media strategy.

At a certain level, I can agree that it doesn't matter if it's an error of omission or commission. It's still feeding the unpleasantness.

Intentional or not, I'm totally on board with those arguing that he should have been aware who was interviewing him and how it would likely be spun.

If he hasn't got a Moscow based PR firm advising the TCC team, he should by now.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can’t wait for this JGP event to end so I can gush about Sasha’s SP in this thread. I’m a happy panda today 🐼

:party2::hap93::hap85::hap57::clap::yahoo::dance3::hap85:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Has this interview ever gotten a reaction. I read it just now. I can see why it has rubbed some of you that wrong way. I think what he said is open to interpretation and a good journalist would have asked a follow up question. "Mr. Orser, by treating her like an adult do you mean allowing her more choices in music and choreography and costuming or do you mean the way you are actually interacting with her as a coach? Is it more a question of giving her the ability to steer her own course?"

It would make sense that Orser, who didn't know Evgenia as a child, would see her as an adult. He is coaching an 18 year old. Eteri was coaching a 10-18 year old. It has to be different.

I know that even with the scouts I used to work with the ones that I knew as 8 year olds I tend to treat a bit differently than the ones I met when they were 14 or 15. We are all only human that way.

Fluture

Record Breaker
@Fluture though i agree with everything you said, i find it funny that he needed to say it over there on Russian soil (he's trying to get killed by one of Eteri's snipers?).
It sounds like "hello i'm Brian Orser, world renowned figure skating coach, i've trained several olympic champions and i'm here in Russia after your favorite child moved to my fantastic club in Toronto to show you just how well we do things here; how much better she got in a short time and how happier she is than before." I actually laughed when i first read the headlines :laugh: it almost sounds like he's trolling :laugh2:

Yeah, I agree it‘s kind of hilarious. I mean... why now, Brian, why? :laugh2:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
As I said, it's his job as primary coach to manage his skaters media strategy.

At a certain level, I can agree that it doesn't matter if it's an error of omission or commission. It's still feeding the unpleasantness.

Intentional or not, I'm totally on board with those arguing that he should have been aware who was interviewing him and how it would likely be spun.

If he hasn't got a Moscow based PR firm advising the TCC team, he should by now.

I agree with this. If he knew that this journalist was very anti Eteri he should have at least given an interview to someone who was more neutral.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Yeah, I have to say that while reading the interview... Orser really expressed himself in a manner where he considers his school and system far superior. Constantly pumping his and his team's tires. I hope that they can now prove it on the ice, I'm not really fond of trash talk like this coming from a coach. They should just let the results speak for themselves. I hope that Medvedeva will be able to live up to the expectations now.

He coached to 3 consecutive OGMs. You make it sound like he's some no name coach.

Ppl are so sensitive about this move.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I like that BOrser is not afraid of talking in a somewhat shady way... He must be very confident about Evgenia's situation. She must be doing great. :agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, I think Brian just is speaking like he always does. I am limited by the fact I'm reading a translated version of the interview, which is actually likely a translation of what was said by Brian in English, but I don't see any huge departures from his other interviews that were conducted in English and printed in English.

I think Brian has made distinctions in past interviews about training someone who is young vs. someone who is over 18. He always made a point of saying that coaching Stephen Gogolev is unique because he took him on at such a young age as opposed to Hanyu and Fernandez, who were both older.

Last edited:

LucyH

On the Ice
I see that Brian’s innocuous comments have really hit a nerve huh?! I guess where there’s smoke there’s usually a fire.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I really don't think that the topic is worth discussing that much :sarcasm:
Just an example of a bad sportsmanship behaviour.
We saw the same from Liza earlier.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really don't think that the topic is worth discussing that much :sarcasm:
Just an example of a bad sportsmanship behaviour.
We saw the same from Liza earlier.

Some people eat that stuff up :confused2: