2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

leoleo

Medalist
I saw some people on twitter saying they're disappointed in Rika doing Clair de Lune as her SP but i'm fine with it! since her FS is so fresh and new, a warhorse as SP isn't bad especially since it's most likely gonna be different so she gets to show different faces on what she can do. In my opinion this can be good for raising her PCS

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I'm not that worried about Wakaba's assignments. Sure, JSF continues to throw all their eggs in one basket so to speak but Wakaba really proved herself last season. Winning the Silver at Worlds has to be a confidence booster and none of these skaters (save maybe clean Med) are unbeatable. She beat Zagitova at Worlds and we haven't really seen what Zagitova's form will be this year. Sure, they are hard assignments but I think going up against the top skaters early will help her. I'd rather that than compete in weaker fields and then struggle later on. I think Wakaba will be fine- she is one of my favorite current skaters.

leoleo

Medalist
I'm not that worried about Wakaba's assignments. Sure, JSF continues to throw all their eggs in one basket so to speak but Wakaba really proved herself last season. Winning the Silver at Worlds has to be a confidence booster and none of these skaters (save maybe clean Med) are unbeatable. She beat Zagitova at Worlds and we haven't really seen what Zagitova's form will be this year. Sure, they are hard assignments but I think going up against the top skaters early will help her. I'd rather that than compete in weaker fields and then struggle later on. I think Wakaba will be fine- she is one of my favorite current skaters.

let's not also forget that Med is most likely gonna work on her jumps too so there are chances she'd lose consistency as well! we really cannot be sure of how any of the top girls is gonna perform next season so we can keep our hopes up about Wakaba.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I see judges put clean Zagitova and Medvedeva ahead of clean Wakaba. So she needs their mistakes to win.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't know. I think Higuchi needs to be consistent to help build her GOE and 2nd mark.

But her base value in the free at Worlds was higher than Medvedeva's at the Olympics. (Not for the first time). And Wakaba's jump GOE has room to grow. At least it looks like it does to me. I have not seen her skate live yet, and I know she's very short. But she sure looks to have great power in her jumps on television.

A triple axel, of course, would likely do the job. But even without it, I think it is possible she could rival those girls in the future. Their advantage is the same as always. They are rocks. But Wakaba's presentation has really improved. If she can hit more solidly, I think her marks from the judges will go up. Maybe not at Rostelecom or even in Canada. But . . . ultimately and internationally.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I don't know. I think Higuchi needs to be consistent to help build her GOE and 2nd mark.

But her base value in the free at Worlds was higher than Medvedeva's at the Olympics. (Not for the first time). And Wakaba's jump GOE has room to grow. At least it looks like it does to me. I have not seen her skate live yet, and I know she's very short. But she sure looks to have great power in her jumps on television.

A triple axel, of course, would likely do the job. But even without it, I think it is possible she could rival those girls in the future. Their advantage is the same as always. They are rocks. But Wakaba's presentation has really improved. If she can hit more solidly, I think her marks from the judges will go up. Maybe not at Rostelecom or even in Canada. But . . . ultimately and internationally.

Where was Alina more consistent then Waka during the first half of the season, so that she is "a rock" and Waka needs to "hit more solidly"? When Waka was cleaner at Lombardia? When Waka was cleaner at CoC, but Alina still won? When Waka had a clean SP in the GPF, whereas Alina didn't, and Alina still beat her?

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Yeah... the consistency factor only really seems to work miracles for Eteri skaters, for whatever reason.

Julia: boom! Points! More points!
Zhenya: boom! Points! More points! Even more points!
Alina: boom! Points! More points! Even more points! ALL THE POINTS!

And then you compare to Wakaba, to Satoko, to Mai, to other countries’ skaters like Dabin.... None of those skaters screw up any more than the Russians do but their scores lag. Wakaba can’t count on consistency. I hate to say it, because I don’t want her program quality to go down, but I think she was right when she said that she needs to add a bunch of transitions because that’s what gets points.

It’s doubly annoying because Wakaba already has great transitions but apparently she needs to look “busy.”

Fluture

Record Breaker
Yeah... the consistency factor only really seems to work miracles for Eteri skaters, for whatever reason.

Julia: boom! Points! More points!
Zhenya: boom! Points! More points! Even more points!
Alina: boom! Points! More points! Even more points! ALL THE POINTS!

And then you compare to Wakaba, to Satoko, to Mai, to other countries’ skaters like Dabin.... None of those skaters screw up any more than the Russians do but their scores lag. Wakaba can’t count on consistency. I hate to say it, because I don’t want her program quality to go down, but I think she was right when she said that she needs to add a bunch of transitions because that’s what gets points.

It’s doubly annoying because Wakaba already has great transitions but apparently she needs to look “busy.”

One thing that still makes me salty thinking about is how close Waka and Alina were in PCS in Milan. I mean, I love Alina and she‘s the Olympic Champion but that was NOT fair. Waka had the skate of her life, she was fabulous, perfect, full of fire and energy. She positively radiated.

And then they give her these hard GP assignments again. I mean, how and why does she deserve this? I would say I‘m not worried about her because she‘s going to deliver either way but yeah, I am worried. Worried because she‘s often (to my mind) not really judged accordingly ?? She has the potential and the talent and finally a Worlds medal, too. And I loved her Bonds program. She doesn‘t need to have more transitions, they‘re just fine. But well... judges will be judges, I guess...

leoleo

Medalist
One thing that still makes me salty thinking about is how close Waka and Alina were in PCS in Milan. I mean, I love Alina and she‘s the Olympic Champion but that was NOT fair. Waka had the skate of her life, she was fabulous, perfect, full of fire and energy. She positively radiated.

And then they give her these hard GP assignments again. I mean, how and why does she deserve this? I would say I‘m not worried about her because she‘s going to deliver either way but yeah, I am worried. Worried because she‘s often (to my mind) not really judged accordingly ?? She has the potential and the talent and finally a Worlds medal, too. And I loved her Bonds program. She doesn‘t need to have more transitions, they‘re just fine. But well... judges will be judges, I guess...

That's FS for you! :slink: It's so damn frustrating following fskating honestly lmao! i don't know how i haven't lost my mind since i got into this mess of a sport in 2009. Someone needs to give me Lakernik's address, i'll pay him a visit.
Anyway Wakaba's SP already looks promising with that Energia song (i've been listening to it non stop). I'm really praying for her to riiiise next season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Zagitova and Medvedeva never needed consistency to see their marks go up. They fell and made other mistakes at all their competitions before their first GPF and it didn't stop them to get monstruous scores. Same for Osmond who got high scores while not being consistent. That thing is only important for non-chosen skaters. But you can even still see your marks regress even being consistent.

glassanimal

On the Ice
That's FS for you! :slink: It's so damn frustrating following fskating honestly lmao! i don't know how i haven't lost my mind since i got into this mess of a sport in 2009. Someone needs to give me Lakernik's address, i'll pay him a visit.
Anyway Wakaba's SP already looks promising with that Energia song (i've been listening to it non stop). I'm really praying for her to riiiise next season.

Agreed! She has so much potential, but the judging sometimes. :disagree: I love that she's more willing than many others to take risks with her choices in music.

Eclair

Medalist
I really like Mai's new SP to magic! Way better and suits her more than last season SP..

Kaori's program to the piano on the other hand I feel doesn't suit her that well ... the music is absolutely beautiful but she is more of a power skater with speed, fire, excitement, BAM, and height in her jumps.. a lovely piano soundtrack is not the best choice for her even though it's not totally bad either..

And I have to add, that although the music choice is not be best for her I love the way she interprets it with speed, musicality and finished movements:love::love: she is one of those very musical skaters I could see could work with David Wilson (on a good day9, Tom Dickson or Shae-Lynn..