2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

QuadSal

On the Ice
Kaori SAKAMOTO - Dreams on Ice 2018
https://youtu.be/O9ekLUesq9U

Could do with more refinement but that will come with more practice and getting comfortable with it. I think it's really impressive as, she's trying to do more transitions after the jumps and improvement in presentation since last season.

Oh yeah, the FS is choreographed by Benoit Richaud.

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm sorry I'm probably going to spoil the mood with this, but I really, really, really don't like Mai's SP. The music and choreo are pretty repetitive and rather bland to me, and while she's trying everything with it, it looks forgettable IMO. It also makes her actually look rather immature to me, while I know many others have the opposite impression... hopefully it'll just work out for her anyway, even if I can't see myself getting fond of it.

OTOH Kaoris LP looks really promising to me. The music is gorgeous, and while it forces her to focus more on her movements (elegance, finishing them) it also does showcase her speed and power nicely to me. Looks like a good "compromise" between what she can do and what she needs to improve. I can't wait to see that growing more :luv17:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I loved the idea of music for Kaori's FS when we heard about it but wow. Did not expect to like the program itself so much. Benoit did such a fantastic job for her! Especially considering this is still the very beginning but I love what we can see right now. She does need improvement but he left just enough room for her to stretch and grow in just the right places as time passes, yet he did not overwhelm her. I'm looking forward to seeing her grow into this during the season. Very nice program.

On the other hand, what even DW :palmf: If I had to use one word for Mai's SP I would use bland and talk about a disappointment. She is so much better than this, what on earth. Sigh. I did think originally the music would be fine for her but not now. It isn't working for me at all. Doesn't mean much as judges judge as they do but she is already having PCS issues so I am not too optimistic.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I like them both! Of course, the programs need to be polished and in a few months we will probably see a lot of improvement. But I'm impressed that they both seem to be 'ready' for the new season. :thumbsup::luv17:

Me too. They are good for where they are at this point in the season and there's room to grow. And I'm thrilled to hear Doris Day's vocals!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
About Mai's program, she is one who I feel grows into her programs a lot over the season. Her Tango SP last season looked really rough at the beginning and I didn't like it. By the end it looked much better.
This kind of program takes a lot of command and confidence to make work. The old-time Hollywood vocals require patience with the choreography and a little more stylistic command (perhaps something like Ginger Rogers). --All of this Mai can add to it as she goes. I hope she can have some areas adjusted by her coach or local choreographers if needed.

Last edited:

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Many skaters programs never really hit the mark on their first showings of the season, so I’ll wait as the season progresses to see them evolve 😊

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
About Mai's program, she is one who I feel grows into her programs a lot over the season. Her Tango SP last season looked really rough at the beginning and I didn't like it. By the end it looked much better.
This kind of program takes a lot of command and confidence to make work. The old-time Hollywood vocals require patience with the choreography and a little more stylistic command (perhaps something like Ginger Rogers). --All of this Mai can add to it as she goes. I hope she can have some areas adjusted by her coach or local choreographers if needed.

Yes this! I think it’s a good growth vehicle for her! I agree it will take time to really learn to make that music and program her own.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Well, I get the general sentiment, but personally I don't think this works for "where it is in the season" either. The whole concept IMO doesn't. Sure, her programs last season at the earlier stages weren't as detailed and she was a bit rough around a few parts - but I liked both from the beginning, and it was clear to see both would be really good once she got the hang of it (I guess I was also in the minority back then for likign her SP from the start :laugh: ). But this SP... just doesn't.
Another problem I have is that I exactly don't see how this will help her develop or grow. It feels like an extremely safe choice. Like they tried to make Cinderella grow up a bit, but kind of failed in execution. It reminds me of Marins Smile SP, which worked better though, in big part because she was still a Junior.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I like the music choice for Mai SP .. and the problem needs a lot of polish ... but i think can work ...

skatenewbie

Medalist
Well, I get the general sentiment, but personally I don't think this works for "where it is in the season" either. The whole concept IMO doesn't. Sure, her programs last season at the earlier stages weren't as detailed and she was a bit rough around a few parts - but I liked both from the beginning, and it was clear to see both would be really good once she got the hang of it (I guess I was also in the minority back then for likign her SP from the start :laugh: ). But this SP... just doesn't.
Another problem I have is that I exactly don't see how this will help her develop or grow. It feels like an extremely safe choice. Like they tried to make Cinderella grow up a bit, but kind of failed in execution. It reminds me of Marins Smile SP, which worked better though, in big part because she was still a Junior.
it does remind me of Marin Smile SP, but imo the way Mai presented it already better and after sometime it will get better, it can be a softly mature style. It may feel like a downgrade after fierce and powerful Tango SP last season and i do agree here in choreo/step sequence part which Magic SP lacking. But as music choice i like it tbh haha it is a safe choice but not (so) juniorish and i can see her growing softly mature style in this SP. I do hope her FS have better step sequence/choreo like last year FS is lovely!

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
I'm impressed with how Kaori basically presented almost a full content. 3F+3T, 2A, 3Lz, 3S, 2A+3T+2T, 3Lo, she's only missing one combo. Such a great contrast from her Amelie FS last year. Hopefully she continues to rise. I think the new GOE could really benefit Kaori's great jumps and smooth spins.

Mai's smoothness even so early is really astonishing. She is really a great all around skater. The program seems a bit generic but if she gives a bit more expression and full body movement, this could be a great program if she goes for a more "playful" set of expressions and movements.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can see why people think it’s generic American standard, but the thing with Doris Day is that she had the ability to move audiences with her voice and audience connection.

Here is her singing that song: https://youtu.be/Nuq8X4mn8P4

I don’t know how to explain it but there is a mature power behind what seems to be a little love ditty. That’s what I think could be developed. I agree there needs to be a bit more movement to convey that mood.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I've said that piano pieces are good for Kaori. She's ready early in the season.
Seems like she trains to be at her best physically anytime. She has good stamina so she surely won't be tired at the mid-season or at the end.
Give a chance to Mai's SP. I think it suits her. I don't know why she should only do mature programs, while for Kaori we don't expect that. We saw that she was not comfortable with a music like Libertango. I think she doesn't have yet enough refinement to sell that kind of program. She's gentle, so she should do programs what look like her.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I love Koari's NEW FREE sooo much. it will be a masterpiece.:love::luv17: Kaori keep on polishing it!!!