2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Maybe we will know soon music choices of the other members of Hamada's team. Since we already know Rika's.

tosca

On the Ice
I know we have moved on but I just got back from vacation and felt compelled to share my thoughts on DOI.

Mai Mihara Her SP is nice. That's it. She already is a more internal performer and can often be overshadowed by the performance qualities of the other Japanese ladies so I am concerned that this is not the right program to get her PCS to rise. I was sleeping on Mai until last year's FS where she really won me over. I feel like she is one of the most well balanced Japanese ladies: strong skating skills, great jumping technique, musicality. I know she is a more lyrical skater but I wish they gave her some powerful music to really compel a stronger and different performance. Hopefully, we will get that in her free. That being said... again with the costume... i HOPE, it isn't the real costume. Mai can look very junior-ish (in appearance) for some reason so she really needs stronger packaging.

Rika Kihara I think this program is a gorgeous. The choreography is so ornate and detailed and i am very interested to see how it develops as she grows more comfortable. I think her team had been packaging her to be of similar style to Satoko but its nice to see a point of differentiation. I personally don't think Rika K. is the most naturally artistic skater but i do think this is a great program for her to grow and develop.

Kaori Sakamoto I was team Marin from 2016 until the start of 2017 but Kaori won me over with her raw power and musicality. I think she gets a lot of slack for not being as refined as the other skaters but I think she and Wakaba are the most powerfully dynamic skaters of the Japanese field. As mentioned before, Kaori is extremely musical and the choreography here really highlights it. I do hope she works closely with the choreographer to work on the carriage of her arms. I think this will be a great program for her to wash away the opinions of those who felt her Amelie program was a bit too junior-esque. I think her Amelie program choreographically forced a performance and story out of her but this one is a bit more internal and requires more nuances in her interpretation. I think this will be an amazing vehicle for her to make a case for herself as one of the top 3 Japanese ladies.
Do wonder where she will add her missing combo - hopefully cutting down that spiral sequence. I also want her to change her level3 spin because thats just points lost...**just to add... her Lutz technique has improved!

Alright, I am done.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Marin has become a skater in JAL ice skating club established recently, she is the only and the first skater in the club so far (similar situation as Yuzuru's case of ANA). Her high school is Aomoriyamada in Aomori prefecture, and her regional federation is Tokyo.

http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/201807/004788.html
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180710-00263274-nksports-spo

I don't get this Aomoriyamada thing... does it offer online courses for high school students?

skatenewbie

Medalist
So i just re watched Mai Libertango SP and i just loved it even more, it have very good choreo even some commentators said that too, she also actually present and interpret it with great control of body movement and judges agree with that. like in CoC & IdF she got low 8s in PCS, her highest so far, even with botched 3-3 in both SP (in IdF her PCS even higher than Sotskova who placed better than her). But it went down to high 7s in 4CC, but i agree since i notice she performed it with less fire than in GP (maybe she hold back to make it a clean SP since she only have 1 clean SP before). I wish she would do that SP again someday since she actually good at performing it and she never even performed it to its maximum potential

yude

Record Breaker
I don't get this Aomoriyamada thing... does it offer online courses for high school students?

I don't know about the online courses, but there is "Sports course" that Marin is in. And the school is well known for the amount of great athletes competing internationally, one of the reasons was said to be that the school was cooperative with her skating activities. Rinka Watanabe, who trains in Canada, is also a student of this school.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL453T7CL45UBNB00K.html

breadstal

Record Breaker
I lowkey think Evgenia would suit Mai's SP haha Because this program is lovely and Mai is skating it very well but I think it kinda needs a bit of extravagant and flashy feeling at times.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
And the school is well known for the amount of great athletes competing internationally, one of the reasons was said to be that the school was cooperative with her skating activities. Rinka Watanabe, who trains in Canada, is also a student of this school.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL453T7CL45UBNB00K.html

I recall that for Rinka, she was a registered student of Aomoriyamada, so last year she started with 'Tohoku-Hokkaido' Regionals. Now supposedly Marin could also go with this route to advance to National (note: Marin was not at top 3 at National last year so she's not seed skater), but instead she chooses to go with JAL. From the news it seems that JSF accepted Marin to switch her club to JAL and thus competes at Tokyo region. I'm just curious why would she want to switch to Tokyo? (perhaps it's only because that she's training oversea and by competing in Tokyo it will be easier for her... I don't know.)

Also, in the other news, it mentions that Marin will be getting a bye from Eastern sectional, as it's in overlap with her GP assignments. But at the moment she cannot be weaved from attending regional (not yet.) She's not a seeded skater this season, so she has the obligation to attend regional. And she's not in JO either which could possibly weave her from Tokyo regional. Another possibility is a CS competition in early Oct (such as Finlandia) will get her a bye from regional.

Adding: if Marin does go through Tokyo regional, she'll be facing (possibly) Wakaba, who is not a seed skater either, and other skaters such as Yuka Nagai.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I lowkey think Evgenia would suit Mai's SP haha Because this program is lovely and Mai is skating it very well but I think it kinda needs a bit of extravagant and flashy feeling at times.

The skater who this program reminded me the most of who would suit this music... Ksenia Makarova. I could picture Leonova giving it some sass and spunk. I guess that could be an optimistic saving grace for this - for Mai to really sell safe music, she has to learn to sell it more which means more artistic growth.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
The skater who this program reminded me the most of who would suit this music... Ksenia Makarova. I could picture Leonova giving it some sass and spunk. I guess that could be an optimistic saving grace for this - for Mai to really sell safe music, she has to learn to sell it more which means more artistic growth.

Please let's give Mai a chance to prove herself with this programme. There's probably a good reason why David Wilson chose it for her.

.OT, but Aomoriyamada's policy to attract athletes must be a strategy to keep student numbers up. Japan has a rapidly shrinking population and many schools and universities that don't have a reputation for academic excellence are struggling. Accommodating elite athletes is one way of making a point of difference. But I'm still a bit puzzled, because obviously Marin is training in the US and can't attend classes in person, so there must be some arrangement to do courses online or something like that.

amonemae

Rinkside
I recall that for Rinka, she was a registered student of Aomoriyamada, so last year she started with 'Tohoku-Hokkaido' Regionals. Now supposedly Marin could also go with this route to advance to National (note: Marin was not at top 3 at National last year so she's not seed skater), but instead she chooses to go with JAL. From the news it seems that JSF accepted Marin to switch her club to JAL and thus competes at Tokyo region. I'm just curious why would she want to switch to Tokyo? (perhaps it's only because that she's training oversea and by competing in Tokyo it will be easier for her... I don't know.)

Also, in the other news, it mentions that Marin will be getting a bye from Eastern sectional, as it's in overlap with her GP assignments. But at the moment she cannot be weaved from attending regional (not yet.) She's not a seeded skater this season, so she has the obligation to attend regional. And she's not in JO either which could possibly weave her from Tokyo regional. Another possibility is a CS competition in early Oct (such as Finlandia) will get her a bye from regional.

Adding: if Marin does go through Tokyo regional, she'll be facing (possibly) Wakaba, who is not a seed skater either, and other skaters such as Yuka Nagai.

I can't quite remember the rules, does this still apply? I was thinking Wakaba and Marin both get a bye because they're doing the GP series but it seems I am wrong.

mirai_asada

On the Ice
Rika's LP is one of those "acquired taste" programs for me. It was just okay in my first watch, but by my third watch I'm loving it already. :yay:

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Will satoko still dominate in Japan and win a 5th title?
I can see Wakaba overtaking her this season.

Who will fight for the 3 spots? Wakaba/Kaori/Mai/Rika (if she moves up)
Satoko, Kaori, Wakaba

Who will move up to seniors, and slay?
I expect Mako to be more successful than Rika but I also hope to be wrong.

Who can fight for a medal against Eteristan in juniors?
Riko Takino? Nana Araki (is she still in juniors?)

Can anyone challenge Eteristan in seniors?
Panenkova? Any of them. Alina? Doubtful but she’s inconsistent- only two clean competitions last season.

How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully?
Rika I definitely expect to land at least one of her attempts this season. Wakaba has said she’ll add one so fingers crossed. Several juniors might attempt them, domestically at least.

WWill Rika Kihira attempt a quad?
May as well if she can’t get her consistency up with her current content.

Can JSF have a better politicking?
Who says they don’t have good politicking already? The question is, can they do better politicking for all of their skaters?

Leonardo

Final Flight
Who says they don’t have good politicking already? The question is, can they do better politicking for all of their skaters?

The ladies never get the best (or close to the highest mark) TES or pcs, not even close, even when they they don't make mistakes. Poor politicking.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
The ladies never get the best (or close to the highest mark) TES or pcs, not even close, even when they they don't make mistakes. Poor politicking.
Have you seen Satoko’s TES for what she does?! It’s absurd. The problem is all the politicking is concentrated on her.

But they aren’t as good at it as Canada or Russia, granted, or the US at home.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Have you seen Satoko’s TES for what she does?! It’s absurd. The problem is all the politicking is concentrated on her.

Callers are actually very bad at their work and she still gets 2 or 3 calls in general in almost every competition. Her pcs are lower than Zagitova's. Imho, that shows that Japan's politicking is weak.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Callers are actually very bad at their work and she still gets 2 or 3 calls in general in almost every competition. Her pcs are lower than Zagitova's. Imho, that shows that Japan's politicking is weak.
about her PCS is lower than Zagitova, maybe because Zagitova is a clear favorite of OGM (with Medvedeva as well) so that's why. She also have very high TES (80+) and we know TES affect PCS as well. Also Canadian politicking is stronger than Japan so Osmond have higher PCS than Satoko as well. We also know Satoko jumps hinder her, judges may not give her highest PCS because other skater jumps look better since Satoko have tiny jumps even with politicking.