2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Kaori seems like she will be able to show better ability with that program. She does need more work on the use of her carriage and arms, needs slightly more attention at points, and more extension of movement (and the spiral sequence would be a lot more effective with more time devoted to each position and perhaps incorporating COEs). It's a differently themed program from last year, so here's hoping it works out. Her face is working well at points already. It's a rather "bare" program so it will all be about how maturely she presents herself with it, I'd say.

Mai's program indeed seems generic in comparison. That song could have more stylized movement, perhaps an old-school Broadway style, but she's been made to interpret it rather in a usual, flowy style usually found in FS. David Wilson is now simply resorting to what the skater is known to excel with instead of experimenting with their ability. His exhibitions for Yuna Kim and Yuzuru Hanyu this off-season have been the same.

ETA: Why doesn't Kaori do a 2A-3T-2Lo?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's funny reading the responses to the new programs. I didn't really like Kaori's program, but thought I might change my mind as she grows into it. Whereas I enjoyed Mai's program on first viewing, though I didn't find it that special I think it too has room to grow.

The program I really liked was Rika Kihira's new FS. Very cool.

yude

Record Breaker
Based on Kaori's comment, her SP is also going to be English song, I wonder what it would be :biggrin:

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
Kaori seems like she will be able to show better ability with that program. She does need more work on the use of her carriage and arms, needs slightly more attention at points, and more extension of movement (and the spiral sequence would be a lot more effective with more time devoted to each position and perhaps incorporating COEs). It's a differently themed program from last year, so here's hoping it works out. Her face is working well at points already. It's a rather "bare" program so it will all be about how maturely she presents herself with it, I'd say.

Mai's program indeed seems generic in comparison. That song could have more stylized movement, perhaps an old-school Broadway style, but she's been made to interpret it rather in a usual, flowy style usually found in FS. David Wilson is now simply resorting to what the skater is known to excel with instead of experimenting with their ability. His exhibitions for Yuna Kim and Yuzuru Hanyu this off-season have been the same.

ETA: Why doesn't Kaori do a 2A-3T-2Lo?

I can't help but agree with your idea of Mai's program. For me, the song seems very romantic, flirty even. Just looking at the lyrics it's clearly a love song. There are some nice moments in the program that we have seen, for example after the 3F we see a shoulder shrug along with a smile at the judges. But the step sequence is not very romantic at all, more "flowy" or at worst generic. Even the ending pose is a bit generic, outstretched arms, which doesn't seem to match the vibe I was getting from the music at all. Obviously there is a fine line between adding lots of interpretation as opposed to getting overly cheesy and obvious with the choreography but there's really not enough connection to the music IMHO.

Re: Kaori's combo, I don't know really. But 2T vs 2Lo is only about 0.5 difference. Since her highest value jump in that combo is already a 3T she gets no benefit in GOE scaling from changing to 2Lo.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I thought that Mai skated her program very beautifully, but I wish the music was a bit more dynamic or energetic or something. Maybe if it had been cut with a second song?

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I'm really no convinced about the new programs for Kaori and Mai :/, for me Rika Kihira's fs is the best so far, I'm pretty sure Wakaba Higuchi will give us spectacular programs. Someone know something about Mako, Yuna and Marin programs?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mai's SP is feeling really one note. She is elegant but there aren't enough highlights and it's a bit of a snooze fest, for me. Reminds me of Honda's Smile - warm and fuzzy and very Disney, but just kind of safe. She is capable of much better but last season and (seemingly) this season proves that music selection is everything. I don't picture this SP getting into the 35s any time soon. I also think David Wilson is capable of more than this but sometimes you have to work with what the skater can give, and Mai needs to give much more than this. And same issue I had last season too, the styling is juniorish from the hair to the dress (although I get this was just an exhibition), but come on Mai/Mai's handlers, step it up!

Kaori's FS for example definitely feels like an emotional and executional step up from her Amelie program. I can totally see her refinement (esp her arm movements) and additional transitions. There is still something a bit scrappy about her but the improvement is very evident. It doesn't feel completely natural at this point but it's much better. The build at the end also really helps.

LRK

Record Breaker
I thought that Mai skated her program very beautifully, but I wish the music was a bit more dynamic or energetic or something. Maybe if it had been cut with a second song?

I liked the idea of Doris Day for Mai - I felt she would fit the joyfulness that Mai exudes. Sadly, this song was just.... soooo sloooow. I really had a hard time keeping my attention on it. Maybe it will grow on me as the season progresses - I certainly hope so, as I want to love what Mai does.:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I liked the idea of Doris Day for Mai - I felt she would fit the joyfulness that Mai exudes. Sadly, this song was just.... soooo sloooow. I really had a hard time keeping my attention on it. Maybe it will grow on me as the season progresses - I certainly hope so, as I want to love what Mai does.:)

This is why I think it's a good challenge for Mai. Doris Day was a very dynamic performer. She was not just a person that appealed because she sang little cute ditties. She had some power behind that sweetness. She was popular for both her songs and her stage presence.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
it does remind me of Marin Smile SP, but imo the way Mai presented it already better and after sometime it will get better, it can be a softly mature style. It may feel like a downgrade after fierce and powerful Tango SP last season and i do agree here in choreo/step sequence part which Magic SP lacking. But as music choice i like it tbh haha it is a safe choice but not (so) juniorish and i can see her growing softly mature style in this SP. I do hope her FS have better step sequence/choreo like last year FS is lovely!

Apparently Mai is going for elegant and classy this year with her SP. I'm sure she can grow into the programme. It suits her personality better than Libertango, which required her to be naughty/sexy/provocative.

zounger

Medalist
I think from what we seen so far, and I mean not only the Japanese ladies, Kaori had the best skates. Wish her all the best for the new season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I've just watched Nana Araki and Yuhana Yokoi DOI performances. Nana's jumps still to die for but i really really really hope it's not a competitive program. Yuhana's music cut and program are just.....meh. But her good jumps save the performance.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think from what we seen so far, and I mean not only the Japanese ladies, Kaori had the best skates. Wish her all the best for the new season.

Mai's performances are the ones i rewatched the most.

Kara

Final Flight
I've just watched Nana Araki and Yuhana Yokoi DOI performances. Nana's jumps still to die for but i really really really hope it's not a competitive program. Yuhana's music cut and program are just.....meh. But her good jumps save the performance.

Hairspray is Nana's EX. She skated it at the Nagoya show at the beginning of the year.:) Her lutz is just sooo good.

mikeko666

Final Flight

I watched the show at the rink, and it was Yuhana's powerful presence and musicality that saved the program. Watching the performance on YouTube, she really reminds me of Akiko.