2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 68 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

loopy1217

Rinkside
My favorite is Karen. I think besides the jumps she has the best skating skills, spins, musicality(Of the US ladies). Her jumps are big too but of course, she does have lots of issues with them :( anyways, speaking of Karen... bad news. She withdrew from US classic.
https://twitter.com/sywtwfs/status/1035033918511046656?s=21

Hope if it’s the injury, she heals soon. I want to think it’s just that she needs more time to prepare after coming back from injury.... but we don’t know. :(

I root for Karen too because of her interpretation and spins....but I feel like my heart is getting broken every time I had any hope. The only time I didn’t think she would make it is the time she won National championship.

I had hopes for her this summer with try out with Alex O, but then she decided to stay with tammy and now Tom Z. And I don’t know if that is a good move. And then now withdrawing the second competitions....sigh I don’t know what to think.

I do believe that she has changed since last year: at least she is not announcing her FS music yet because of all the switching music in last season. She changed boot company (not sure if that led her to injurie but she wouldn’t have known until she try anyway). And she seems to be living by herself than to be with mom who seems to influence her at the music decisions last year. Whatever it is, maybe these changes led to more positive changes that align her with the stars:) at least that’s what I hope.

The other skater I secretly root for is Emmy Ma. She has potential but then always get nervous at competitions:/ and she hasn’t upgrade any jumps which is frustrating.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I do believe that she has changed since last year: at least she is not announcing her FS music yet because of all the switching music in last season.

I appreciate her willingness to let go of programs that don't suit her style. She always shows up to big events with programs that complement her best attributes. Even though I'd like for her to be a bit more adventurous with her choices, I prefer seeing skaters who like the programs they're skating to.

sheetz

Record Breaker
If Karen is injured then the OTC is the best place for her to be. And isn't there a significant cost savings by living and training there, as well?

WesleyFox

Rinkside
Keeping up with this thread is like homework, but it keeps me SO PUMPED!!
Besides EVERYBODY.. who is everyone's favorite US Lady? The one(s) you're really rooting for?!

I'll reply to my own post here.
I'm SO HYPE for Gracie's next 4 years.. I can't even describe! I used to watch skating as a kid in the late 80's to late 90's and was out until I just happened to DVR 2013 Nationals and had a weekend off to watch the entire competition.. Gracie got me hooked again and I've been a die-hard competitive figure skating fan since. I think she's a star and I'm stubborn about it. Nobody can tell me different lol Don't get me started on Gracie 2014-2016.. Nationals inflation and all!

I'll also mention Bradie who I think is an absolute diamond in the rough. I've never gotten the chills that a great music choice/choreo/performance/skill/moment combination can give, but I feel like it's in there.

I've taught kids and teens in the performing arts for over a decade and sometimes I wish I'd also gotten into skating. I'm still considering a mid-life adult skating venture lol If my cracking right dancer's knee can handle it. I've been on skates and I think I get it... I'd probably be a mess.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, now Gracie has got to be my straight up fav ladies' skater, because, to celebrate her newfound training home

she's wearing a Sixers cap!:) #TrustTheProcess #HereTheyCome

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlrwetFFMJ/?taken-by=iceworkssc

Now if only someone would get her an Eagles cap to go with that :biggrin: (although Johnny Weir has actually been watching the Birds' incredibly bad preseason showing, according to his Twitter. I may need to ease up on him:eeking:)

macy

Record Breaker
I missed her skate, what happened?

the only error was a step out on her lutz and tacked a double toe on the end of it. everything else was gorgeous. i'm not sure if she lost levels on spins or footwork, but there were no other visible errors.

EDIT- it looks like she was also docked a point in deductions. Anyone know what this might be for? The only thing i can think of is a time violation but to me she didn't end late.

concorde

Medalist
well i would be extremely upset with my score if i were ting right now.

This new scoring system is very unkind to bobbles and falls.

The ways it works, -4 and -5 are extremely common whereas +4 and +5 are rare (which they should be). Anything but a perfect skate is weighted negatively.

frida80

Record Breaker

The ways it works, -4 and -5 are extremely common whereas +4 and +5 are rare (which they should be). Anything but a perfect skate is weighted negatively.

I'm seeing the results already. Any mistake kinda wrecks your score. Unfortunateoy for Ting she got the dreaded combo deduction since she can't tack on a combo later. A -5 plus the lack of second jump is seriously costly in juniors.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
EDIT- it looks like she was also docked a point in deductions. Anyone know what this might be for? The only thing i can think of is a time violation but to me she didn't end late.

She was late so I think it was a point deduction. If she hit the time limit right when her music stopped and she kept moving then she went over. Ting is a lovely skater but it's obvious she's going to need a bit more time to get herself together. I love Rach's Theme/Paganini but I feel like she may need something a little less subtle. Fingers crossed for the FS...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, now Gracie has got to be my straight up fav ladies' skater, because, to celebrate her newfound training home

she's wearing a Sixers cap!:) #TrustTheProcess #HereTheyCome

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlrwetFFMJ/?taken-by=iceworkssc

Now if only someone would get her an Eagles cap to go with that :biggrin: (although Johnny Weir has actually been watching the Birds' incredibly bad preseason showing, according to his Twitter. I may need to ease up on him:eeking:)

I sure would like to see some clips of Gracie skating. She looks happy and that's a big enough deal but, I hope she's skating well.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Judges like Ting. She received third PCS. If she manage clean FP she should take the medal.
I agree, only a few points out of third... but she has to skate a clean long. Fingers crossed!! BTW if Pooja had competed here instead of at Bratislava she would have been third after the short. Just goes to show, it depends on the competition. Everyone was freaking out on Pooja last week but look where she would have been here agh.

macy

Record Breaker

now that i'm seeing the protocols i can understand her score a bit more. IMO even though she was 3rd in PCS i think it should have been higher, but obviously not where the top 2 are. i hope she can come back in the long, she has sooooo much potential.