Recurring nightmares about figure blades | Golden Skate

Recurring nightmares about figure blades

Sam L

Medalist
I've been having recurring nightmares where I walk with my figure skating boots (without a skateguard or any protection) onto concrete or some other hard surface and ruining the blades. This has never happened to me (like why would I do that?) and I have Coronation Aces so they're great blades but not the most expensive blades ever. I don't know why I keep having this nightmare. Other skating moments in the dream are all fine. Anyone else has had this?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think this would be classified as an anxiety dream. you feel anxious so you dream about something that is easily quantifiable and visual to represent your anxiety. I dream about driving or traveling illegally. When you dream your brain is often in a sort of puzzle solving mode so your brain is presenting you with a fixable problem and allowing you to think about it and find a solution. Most of our dreams reflect our emotional states.

From the age of 6 until I was 18 I had the same dream 3 to 4 times a week. I dreamed I was running down a hallway chased by a man whose face was hidden. When he caught me he stabbed me to death. There are lots of reasons why I was having these kinds of dreams but in reality I just needed them to stop so I did something that most of us have the ability to do: When you are dreaming you know on some level that you are dreaming. You can get into your dream and change it if you work at it. You can actively tell yourself, while you are dreaming, that there are your skate guards on the bench or whatever and you can force yourself to put them on. It might not work the first time but it should eventually.

Ducky

On the Ice
I've been having recurring nightmares where I walk with my figure skating boots (without a skateguard or any protection) onto concrete or some other hard surface and ruining the blades. This has never happened to me (like why would I do that?) and I have Coronation Aces so they're great blades but not the most expensive blades ever. I don't know why I keep having this nightmare. Other skating moments in the dream are all fine. Anyone else has had this?

Oh anxiety dreams. I'm years out of university and still occasionally dream that it's finals week and it turns out there was a class I had completely forgotten about and never attended/did any of the homework and now have to take the final exam.

As Ancientpeas said often dreams are a way of working through things that your subconscious is aware of and it's effecting your every day life but because it's not at a conscious level it's not really being addressed. Have you noticed other dreams where something else you really care about are being ruined or destroyed? Are you being forced to walk in your skates without skate guards or is it carelessness/didn't even realize until it was too late? If you were to assign a meaning to this type of dream what would it be?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I'll probably be run off the forum with pitchforks for saying this, but I'm not sure I believe that dreams have uniform meanings. If they do mean anything, I'd imagine that it's all very individual. There might or might not be tendencies, but I'm sure that two people can have very similar dreams for very different reasons.

Maybe your dream means something about your life, or maybe those blades are just important to you. Or maybe dreams are random neurological noise that mean nothing at all. (shrugs) Science hasn't proven much of anything about them.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

I'm two months late to this thread, but I have had that exact same dream! I think my dream happened for two reasons: 1) I had just gotten my blades sharpened, and was worried about keeping them pristine, and 2) this actually happened IRL to a friend of mine, and it's a story that haunts me. :laugh:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I think this would be classified as an anxiety dream. you feel anxious so you dream about something that is easily quantifiable and visual to represent your anxiety. I dream about driving or traveling illegally. When you dream your brain is often in a sort of puzzle solving mode so your brain is presenting you with a fixable problem and allowing you to think about it and find a solution. Most of our dreams reflect our emotional states.

From the age of 6 until I was 18 I had the same dream 3 to 4 times a week. I dreamed I was running down a hallway chased by a man whose face was hidden. When he caught me he stabbed me to death. There are lots of reasons why I was having these kinds of dreams but in reality I just needed them to stop so I did something that most of us have the ability to do: When you are dreaming you know on some level that you are dreaming. You can get into your dream and change it if you work at it. You can actively tell yourself, while you are dreaming, that there are your skate guards on the bench or whatever and you can force yourself to put them on. It might not work the first time but it should eventually.

Knowing you are dreaming is called a lucid dream. I used to lucid dream all the time as a kid. I recall one night, I had fallen asleep in my mom's bed and was having a nightmare. I realized I was dreaming and actually tried to move my body over to my mom in a way to get her to help me wake up. That didn't work, but I tried forcing my eyes to open and that did the trick! Amazing what you can do in a lucid dream. I told my mother the next day and guess what? She did not believe me :laugh: I guess she had never experienced such a thing. I haven't been able to do that for years though. I really wish I still could!

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Knowing you are dreaming is called a lucid dream. I used to lucid dream all the time as a kid. I recall one night, I had fallen asleep in my mom's bed and was having a nightmare. I realized I was dreaming and actually tried to move my body over to my mom in a way to get her to help me wake up. That didn't work, but I tried forcing my eyes to open and that did the trick! Amazing what you can do in a lucid dream. I told my mother the next day and guess what? She did not believe me :laugh: I guess she had never experienced such a thing. I haven't been able to do that for years though. I really wish I still could!

As a lucid dreamer, the worst is when you know it’s a dream, you still can’t make it stop, and whatever is unpleasant about it increases as you consciously throw in more of your fears (“Oh, I’m dreaming, don’t let X happen...”). And after waking up, it can take a fair amount of time to make the dream go away/fully absorb that it wasn’t real. (I recall having a lucid dream about a friend emailing me the most awful things and I had to check my inbox to make sure it didn’t happen.) I’ll trade you my lucid dreaming abilities anytime! [emoji23]

Sam L

Medalist
Oh anxiety dreams. I'm years out of university and still occasionally dream that it's finals week and it turns out there was a class I had completely forgotten about and never attended/did any of the homework and now have to take the final exam.

As Ancientpeas said often dreams are a way of working through things that your subconscious is aware of and it's effecting your every day life but because it's not at a conscious level it's not really being addressed. Have you noticed other dreams where something else you really care about are being ruined or destroyed? Are you being forced to walk in your skates without skate guards or is it carelessness/didn't even realize until it was too late? If you were to assign a meaning to this type of dream what would it be?

Well luckily I don't have these anymore. Thanks all. I have skating dreams because I skate about 7 hours a week on average now but now these. And no I've never had any of those experiences I think it was more that I had the constant warnings about taking care of blades that it just stuck in my subconscious. :laugh:

I'm two months late to this thread, but I have had that exact same dream! I think my dream happened for two reasons: 1) I had just gotten my blades sharpened, and was worried about keeping them pristine, and 2) this actually happened IRL to a friend of mine, and it's a story that haunts me. :laugh:

Haha no worries, I'm late to my own thread.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
One can control the content of lucid dreams. If it is a falling dream, where a subject is in free-fall, change the fall to flight, fly up, if attacked, overpower the adversary then demand a gift, if killed, resurrect in a stronger form... always repay a kindness with kindness and a gift..
I suspect this may have effect in waking life problem-solving at the unconscious level, building confidence, mastery..