2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
As for their supposed innocence - do you think it's fair for a child of a bank robber to keep the loot, on the basis of his "innocence"?

Those benefiting from any crime, (i.e., unfairly gaining something from others, and getting to enjoy the proceeds of their caretakers' stealing or cheating), do not have the same standing as victims of a crime.

In cases of biased judging, the innocence of an athlete is not the issue. Just like the innocence of a bank robber's child is not an issue.

They still should not be allowed to keep the loot, because that's unjust. If the loot is taken from them due to bad luck and a severe case of spats, so be it. Still enjoyable.

Do you punish the child (beyond taking away the 'loot') for what their parent did?

I don't understand being happy when someone falls. Sure, it's natural to feel relief when someone competing against your favorite makes a mistake. But I am never happy to see "a severe case of splats". I want fair judging. I'm not willing to be happy about someone's else's misfortune.

I am just a lowly adult skater but falling on something you know you can do is really discouraging. Continuing to get up over and over when you make mistakes in front of an audience is awful. You feel disappointed and embarrassed and want to quit. I can't imagine how amplified that has to feel on the national and international stage. I don't wish falling or failing on anyone. They aren't responsible for what the judges do- direct your anger at the judges.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so excited for our USA Pairs standard bearers... Good luck and Good skating, Ashley and Tim! SP in one hour, although they'll be in Group 4. :hap93:

This article came out today, March 19, at 11:39 a.m.

Cain and LeDuc Hope to Elevate U.S. Pairs on the World Stage, by Jennifer Zeleski

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...e-to-elevate-us-pairs-on-the-world-stage.aspx

they know it hasn't all been about them. Cain and LeDuc held themselves to the standards and expectations of the other U.S. teams who could have just as easily taken Team USA's slot, like Haven Denny and Brandon Frazier, or Kayne and O'Shea.

"It's a great push for us knowing that there are teams [in the United States] that are really at our heels," LeDuc said. "There are many pairs who are qualified to be there, and we are honored to be the ones going."

They know, understand and embrace the responsibility they feel to represent Team USA pairs,

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I'm so excited for our USA Pairs standard bearers... Good luck and Good skating, Ashley and Tim! SP in one hour, although they'll be in Group 4. :hap93:

Does it really begin in 1 hour??!! I’m on eastern time in the US, when does the pairs sp begin here?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bringing this over from the Pairs SP (Worlds) thread in The Edge:

I'm so proud of Ashley and Tim for doing great work for US Pairs, so far. Ashley was angry with herself for the fall on the loop, and I hope she'll be able to channel that emotion into a great performance of their FS. Their strong connection showed, with Tim's focus on Ashley at the end of the program and the way he reassured and supported her. Their deep connection with each other shows on the ice even more with their WE fs.

Another important thing to notice about Ashley and Tim is that their steady work, improvement, and progress on ALL their Pairs Elements showed in the SP, and is clearly being noticed by international judges. Three Level 4's, and 2 level 3's. Their triple twist was actually marked originally as a Level 4, then adjusted to a 3. This element alone is a brilliant indicator of their dedication to bringing quality, and their hunger and ambition for more of Pairs Everything. As Charlie White said in January, they're looking more like a pair all the time, and they've done it their own unique way. (I say) they're true to their own strengths ... shining a light on their gorgeous lines, unison, musical sensitivity, and performance.

Any other thoughts?

Watching last night's event from top to bottom was really thrilling. Pairs FS will begin at 9:30 p.m. Eastern DT tonight, (Wed.) There were lots of surprises, good and not good. It should be an interesting event tonight.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Ashley and Tim for finishing in 9th Place at their Very First World Championships, less than 3 years into their partnership! And for doing this in the most awesome, deepest Pairs Field we've seen ... ever? Well, it was a simply amazing pairs event.

And for earning back two Pairs spots for the USA. :bow: One couple earning two spots is much more difficult than two couples keeping them.

Ashley and Tim's FS and SP weren't perfect, but there were so many elements that held up the performances and their scores. I'm really impressed by their PCS scores in this event. :hap10:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Ashley and Tim for finishing in 9th Place at their Very First World Championships, less than 3 years into their partnership! And for doing this in the most awesome, deepest Pairs Field we've seen ... ever? Well, it was a simply amazing pairs event.

And for earning back two Pairs spots for the USA. :bow: One couple earning two spots is much more difficult than two couples keeping them.

Ashley and Tim's FS and SP weren't perfect, but there were so many elements that held up the performances and their scores. I'm really impressed by their PCS scores in this event. :hap10:

Actually this season has suffered for being the year after an Olympics and with all the injuries and retirements the depth in Pairs was the weakest it's probably been in years and certainly can't compare to the last couple of seasons. But with new exciting teams like the young Russian team and S/H being back the field got a lot stronger by the end of the season and i expect it to be much stronger at the start of next season.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually this season has suffered for being the year after an Olympics and with all the injuries and retirements the depth in Pairs was the weakest it's probably been in years and certainly can't compare to the last couple of seasons. But with new exciting teams like the young Russian team and S/H being back the field got a lot stronger by the end of the season and i expect it to be much stronger at the start of next season.

Perhaps that's what had me floored ... that the field grew so much stronger. Anyway, this Worlds was a thrilling event with so many great high-level pairs. Also, I enjoy many skaters who aren't competitive for the top spots, so there you go. :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Perhaps that's what had me floored ... that the field grew so much stronger. Anyway, this Worlds was a thrilling event with so many great high-level pairs. Also, I enjoy many skaters who aren't competitive for the top spots, so there you go. :)

The field this year is undoubtably weaker compared to last year.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should 'fess up ... I'm happy for Cain and LeDuc for getting 2 spots back for the USA,:rock: and also quite glad they proved that those who doubted their ability to do so were wrong!

And, to segue to a related thought, I think it's psychologically healthy for US pairs fans to stop thinking in terms of only having one world-class pair. January nationals showed growing strength. As a longtime fan of Haven Denney / Brandon Frazier, I look forward to seeing them get more exposure and prove their credibility in the international field. And I've been saying all year how much I like Audrey Lu and Misha Mitrofanov. So we're getting a more solid stable, if you want to call it that. And lovely variety in terms of style, strengths, and nuances.

Also, I'd never paid much attention to junior pairs, but I watched junior worlds this month, and I very much enjoyed Sarah Feng/ TJ Nyman and Laiken Lockley / Keenan Prochnow. Depth is good. :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That is what I acknowledged in my post that you quoted.

You originally called the field 'perhaps the deepest ever', then Jammers said the field is weaker this year due to Olympic retirements, etc, and you wrote that "Perhaps that's what had me floored ... that the field grew so much stronger."

Perhaps it's not what you meant, but it really sounded like you were saying despite the Olympic retirements etc, the field was stronger this season.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Cain and Leduc are very lovable and talented, and I hope they keep improving and flourishing :cool: They'll be sent to WTT, no? How fun!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm hoping we'll begin to return to the days when pairs where of similar heights. I'm tired of the "Mutt & Jeff" pairings. Congratulations to Sui & Han, James & Cipres as well as Cain & Le Duc! Beautiful free skates all!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You originally called the field 'perhaps the deepest ever', then Jammers said the field is weaker this year due to Olympic retirements, etc, and you wrote that "Perhaps that's what had me floored ... that the field grew so much stronger."

Perhaps it's not what you meant, but it really sounded like you were saying despite the Olympic retirements etc, the field was stronger this season.

Okay, I had more time today to respond.

Here's what I wrote originally: "And for doing this in the most awesome, deepest Pairs Field we've seen ... ever? Well, it was a simply amazing pairs event."

There are several qualifiers in that sentence. (1) the question mark after the word "ever," which indicates that I wasn't actually making that as a statement of serious fact, or that I'd gone back to review all the pairs events up to now. (2) the bit of hyperbole in my wording: the most awesome, deepest .... (3) The sentence afterward, which states my real sentiment, which is that it was a simply amazing pairs event.

Then, I did say that "the field grew so much stronger." I guess I was assuming that anyone who read that post would have read the other poster's explanation and would understand that I was responding to it. I can't really promise not to make such assumptions in future, because that kind of goes against the grain of what I feel a conversation is about.

To put it another way, I wasn't making a case for anything. Just ebulliently expressing my delight. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cain and Leduc are very lovable and talented, and I hope they keep improving and flourishing :cool: They'll be sent to WTT, no? How fun!

Good word, "flourishing." It adds a more fluid dynamic, which is so appropriate for C/L.

I'm hoping we'll begin to return to the days when pairs where of similar heights. I'm tired of the "Mutt & Jeff" pairings. Congratulations to Sui & Han, James & Cipres as well as Cain & Le Duc! Beautiful free skates all!

I keep seeing visions of Tai and Randy in my head, along with my visions of Ashley and Tim. It's amazing how high she goes on their throw jumps; her feet reach to the level of his waist, and her position is gorgeous, straight up and beautiful. Because I sometimes stop the replays to admire it, I've started paying more attention to the height of other pairs' throw jumps.

Casual

On the Ice
Anyone else feels Cain/Leduc skated a better FS than Italians, and should have been rated above them?

fenway3

On the Ice
Just curious—are the Knierims planning to compete next year?

As for Cain & Leduc, that's great they made the top 10. For an American team, that's really the equivalent of a medal. ;)