2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating

Casual

On the Ice
If someone comes here as an attempt to seek validation that is their own problem/mistake. But it's my own opinion and no one should take any meaning from it. If you all want to be positive that's fine. I have a long list of people I root against for various reasons and that is how I choose to enjoy the sport. I don't need the positive energy that you all seem to take joy from. Sport is pure competition and that's how i view it. If someone is in your way you should absolutely root for them to fail. They don't ask how you got to the top, only if you are there and can remain there. Once you're done we move to someone else.

I strongly disagree. The point of the competition is to elevate the sport, i.e., to achieve something better than before. Ultimately, each athlete is competing against themselves, as well as against others; and together, they move the sport forward, to new highs.

It's much more meaningful for athletes (and joyful for the audience) to win fairly and against strong competitors, than to perform poorly and medal anyway, just because the others failed or were held behind.

On the other hand, I totally understand rooting against those who keep getting propped up unfairly, due to biased judging.

Biased judging equals cheating. Therefore, if bad luck happens to those who were unfairly elevated over their more deserving competitors, I will enjoy their falls and splats. Because it's always nice to see justice prevail. :laugh:

Casual

On the Ice
As for Ashley and Tim, they won fair and square - and I root for them. They deserved it, and I wish them luck and strong showing at the Worlds.

My only squabble (and the reason while I'm a bit conflicted about them winning gold at Nationals), is due to my preoccupation with safety and health. I think that elite athletes in extreme sports are a bit "crazy" (in the eyes of a conventional cautious person :laugh:), willing to risk their life and limb in pursuit of their athletic dreams. That's why I think sometimes losing may be a best outcome, if it prevents from continuing on a dangerous path. Winning, on the other hand, only serves as a drug to keep going, while trying harder and more dangerous tricks.

I saw Ashley's fall, and it shocked me. Due to that unfortunate fall, Ashely's risks are now much higher (the risk of repeated brain injury gets higher after each successive one). That's the only reason why I felt a bit conflicted about them winning - it's awesome for them, and I'm happy for them, but I just don't want to read about another injury.

It's a paradox - I enjoy watching winter sports, but I'm also scared for athletes, and that's why I'd be just as happy if they didn't do it at all.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's not that I just like other teams better it's that I don't like them. I would be happier if they weren't skating.

Since you haven’t said anything about music, choreography, skating style, etc., this almost sounds as if you have a dislike of them personally, even off ice. What have they done to make you dislike them so much?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't care if it's 5th and 6th. We have 2 pairs in the final flight......:cheer:

Nathan13

Medalist
I don't care if it's 5th and 6th. We have 2 pairs in the final flight......:cheer:

Hate to be the one to break it to you but...Pairs never has more than 4 in a warm up group. Second to last aint bad tho.

Regardless, 5+6 is a good setup to retain 3 spots.

natsulian

Final Flight
Congrats to Sarah Feng/TJ Nyman, Laiken Lockley/Keenan Prochnow, Kate Finster/Balazs Nagy as the Junior pairs teams secured 3 spots and 12 Junior Grand Prix slots for the US next season. Both Lockley/Prochnow and Finster/Balazs managed to grab Season's Bests whilst Feng/Nyman, the pairs team who missed Nationals due to injury, missed their Season's Best by 0.54 points.

Feng and Nyman possess the goods to challenge the top Junior teams, but their throws and side-by-side jumps need honing. Because they are coming off the heels of an injury, the pair's outing was quite respectable, but one does hope that they can stay together and keep improving.

5th - Feng/Nyman, 162.90
6th - Lockley/Prochnow, 159.54
11th - Finster/Balazs, 132.29

Results Page - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/wjc2019/

oly2018

Final Flight
I have a soft spot for Lockley/Prochnow. I all of these junior teams stick it out. There is way more room for them in Seniors than there is for their ice dance counterparts. I hope they take advantage of staying junior for as long they need to, so they can develop.

macy

Record Breaker
I strongly disagree. The point of the competition is to elevate the sport, i.e., to achieve something better than before. Ultimately, each athlete is competing against themselves, as well as against others; and together, they move the sport forward, to new highs.

It's much more meaningful for athletes (and joyful for the audience) to win fairly and against strong competitors, than to perform poorly and medal anyway, just because the others failed or were held behind.

On the other hand, I totally understand rooting against those who keep getting propped up unfairly, due to biased judging.

Biased judging equals cheating. Therefore, if bad luck happens to those who were unfairly elevated over their more deserving competitors, I will enjoy their falls and splats. Because it's always nice to see justice prevail. :laugh:

that is a very unfair view to have against athletes who have nothing to do with their scores...

Casual

On the Ice
that is a very unfair view to have against athletes who have nothing to do with their scores...

Did you miss the crucial point - "those who were unfairly elevated over their more deserving competitors"?

There's nothing "unfair" in wishing to see justice prevail. Quite the opposite, in fact. :biggrin:

macy

Record Breaker
Did you miss the crucial point - "those who were unfairly elevated over their more deserving competitors"?

There's nothing "unfair" in wishing to see justice prevail. Quite the opposite, in fact. :biggrin:

then you should wish "justice" on the judges since they are the ones handing out the scores.

Casual

On the Ice
As for their supposed innocence - do you think it's fair for a child of a bank robber to keep the loot, on the basis of his "innocence"?

Those benefiting from any crime, (i.e., unfairly gaining something from others, and getting to enjoy the proceeds of their caretakers' stealing or cheating), do not have the same standing as victims of a crime.

In cases of biased judging, the innocence of an athlete is not the issue. Just like the innocence of a bank robber's child is not an issue.

They still should not be allowed to keep the loot, because that's unjust. If the loot is taken from them due to bad luck and a severe case of spats, so be it. Still enjoyable.

macy

Record Breaker
As for their supposed innocence - do you think it's fair for a child of a bank robber to keep the loot, on the basis of his "innocence"?

Those benefiting from any crime, (i.e., unfairly gaining something from others, and getting to enjoy the proceeds of their caretakers' stealing or cheating), do not have the same standing as victims of a crime.

In cases of biased judging, the innocence of an athlete is not the issue. Just like the innocence of a bank robber's child is not an issue.

They still should not be allowed to keep the loot, because that's unjust. If the loot is taken from them due to bad luck and a severe case of spats, so be it. Still enjoyable.

not even gonna bother... :noshake: :palmf:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Audrey Lu and Misha Mitrofanov will perform in Delaware on Fri-Sat, Apr 6-7, at Skating Club of Wilmington's spring show:

Congrats to Sarah Feng/TJ Nyman, Laiken Lockley/Keenan Prochnow, Kate Finster/Balazs Nagy as the Junior pairs teams secured 3 spots and 12 Junior Grand Prix slots for the US next season. Both Lockley/Prochnow and Finster/Balazs managed to grab Season's Bests whilst Feng/Nyman, the pairs team who missed Nationals due to injury, missed their Season's Best by 0.54 points. …

5th - Feng/Nyman, 162.90
6th - Lockley/Prochnow, 159.54
11th - Finster/Balazs, 132.29

Results Page - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/wjc2019/

Thanks for mentioning all three pairs at Junior Worlds. :thank: Congratulations to all.

Out of my own ignorance, I had never heard of Balazs Nagy until this season started. I really like the quality of his movement.
(Kate Finster already was a familiar name to me, although their partnership is new.)

Speaking for myself, I think it will be helpful (at least for me) to reinforce the correct name of the partnership … with the hope that we will be seeing them for years to come. :pray:

AFAIK: His last name is Nagy, so they are Finster/Nagy.

BTW, some Junior Worlds photos of Finster/Nagy:

Good luck to Ashley and Timothy at Worlds. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

But what is justice? It seems to be in the eye of the beholder?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley and Tim are currently the top ranked us pair
in the isu world standings, so not that surprising.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley and Tim are currently the top ranked us pair
in the isu world standings, so not that surprising.

Top world standing is the selection criteria for WTT.

#9 CAIN / LEDUC
#13 KAYNE / O'SHEA
#17 SCIMECA / KNIERIM
#19 DENNEY / FRASER
#27 LU / MITROFANOV
#32 STELLATO / BARTHOLOMAY

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To clarify, the rule is that the top 2 singles / top pairs and dance team from a country in the World Standing are required to go to WTT (mostly meaning they can't do shows in a certain period if they skip it) only if they come top ten at Worlds.

Beyond that I think it's up to the federations to choose who to send.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US has only one pair at Worlds and it's CAIN / LEDUC. We hope they will finish top 10 at Worlds, but that's not a given.

They are the US Pairs Champions, so it makes sense that USFS would choose them for WTT.