2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just curious—are the Knierims planning to compete next year?

I haven't heard any statement about them leaving the sport. When they had their bad skate at Nationals, I believe the commentators said they would use this time to refocus to be ready for the next Olympics, so I took that as a statement that they intend to stay in the sport.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't heard any statement about them leaving the sport. When they had their bad skate at Nationals, I believe the commentators said they would use this time to refocus to be ready for the next Olympics, so I took that as a statement that they intend to stay in the sport.

Knierims are thinking about another run at the Olympics? At this point they are so unreliable especially with the jumps and Alexa is such a nervous skater that unless they start putting it together they may have a hard time making the team in 2022 even with two spots.

fenway3

On the Ice

Thanks for the info, CellarDweller. Nice to know they plan to continue.

Casual

On the Ice
Knierims are thinking about another run at the Olympics? At this point they are so unreliable especially with the jumps and Alexa is such a nervous skater that unless they start putting it together they may have a hard time making the team in 2022 even with two spots.

Knierims skated injured, both last year and this season, that's why they seemed unreliable.

On the other hand, they showed tremendous improvement after their brief training stint with Alena.

I hope Knierims will get proper treatment, rest and heal well, and be able to continue. They certainly never reached their full potential, yet.

musicfan80

Medalist

I always had the feeling that the Knierims would be done after 2018. I always got the vibe that Chris was really wanting to start his auto restoration business (or something like that). The work he has showed on Instagram is incredible.
————————————

Anyone want to speculate on which U.S. team will get the #2 Worlds spot? I’m assuming that Cain/LeDuc will stay at #1.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone else feels Cain/Leduc skated a better FS than Italians, and should have been rated above them?

I think that Ashley and Tim’s programs were far more compelling and interesting. Two big mistakes in each program, but they rose above and met their goals.

Thy were clearly the best US pairs team to send to Worlds, and I’m happy for them:hap10:

Johnny Weir’s opinion, meh..... even if he’s a fellow Eagles fan;)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I always had the feeling that the Knierims would be done after 2018. I always got the vibe that Chris was really wanting to start his auto restoration business (or something like that). The work he has showed on Instagram is incredible.
————————————

Anyone want to speculate on which U.S. team will get the #2 Worlds spot? I’m assuming that Cain/LeDuc will stay at #1.

Either the Knierims or Kayne/O'Shea for the second spot, IMO.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I don't assume Cain and Leduc will stay at number 1. At their best I think both Kayne and O'shea and the Knierims should get the spots over Cain and Leduc. They both had an unfortunate nartionals as well as 4cc's for Kayne and O'shea. But i'm hoping as they both settle into their new coaching situations, they will rise again. We could even have a newer pair surprise us.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Chris was recently tweeting he would soon be throwing his wife around again, so to me that is a really good indication they have no plans to leave. Fingers and toes crossed, because I did not get his or her autograph at nationals.:( And because I love to watch them skate.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They were injured. And I don't think she is a nervous skater AT ALL. I think she's fearless. Even a commentator was saying that once, have no idea which. Heck you almost have to be to be a female pairs skater getting tossed around like a football.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely not. The Italians program and elements besides the jumps were much better.

You know ... the SBS jumps are pairs elements. In fact, they account for 2 out of a total of 11 elements in a FS. That's nearly 20%.

As much as jumps are valued in solo skating, I don't understand why so many fans discount them in a pairs program. They count. And Ashley and Tim have beautiful unison on them, which is very impressive.

. Two big mistakes in each program, but they rose above and met their goals.

??? I don't believe they made two big mistakes in each program. They made one big error on an element in the SP and one in the FS. In the SP, they had all positive GOEs except for that jump. In the FS, they were dinged a total of .52 in other GOEs (besides the -GOE for the fall on the throw), all positive on all the rest. http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/wc2019/data0305.pdf

I think that Ashley and Tim’s programs were far more compelling and interesting.

:2thumbs: Agree completely!

Anyone else feels Cain/Leduc skated a better FS than Italians, and should have been rated above them?

Yes, I thought so during the competition, and I also thought so when I re-watched both programs. The judges agreed with us on the TES score. C/L=63.26 over DM/G=62.16. It was on the PCS that DM/G were higher. I wasn't surprised. Being seen at Worlds counts in PC scores: DM/G have been to Worlds 8 times, to Olympics twice, and they were 5th at the GPF this year.

Considering all that, it's even more of a feather in Ashley and Tim's caps that they came so close!
:dance3:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Injured or not, Cain & Le Duc are unreliable. But they were more reliable this season that the rest of the U.S. pair teams.

And, really, pairs in general are unreliable. I do find Della Monica & Guarise more dynamic to watch live than on television. They certainly qualify as unreliable too.

I think in both cases, it was the scale of the event and the level of perfection needed that probably got to both teams. But Worlds is its own experience. You often get better at dealing with that environment once you've been in it so really good progress for C&LD this year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

??? I don't believe they made two big mistakes in each program. They made one big error on an element in the SP and one in the FS. In the SP, they had all positive GOEs except for that jump. In the FS, they were dinged a total of .52 in other GOEs (besides the -GOE for the fall on the throw), all positive on all the rest. http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/wc2019/data0305.pdf

Awkwardly worded, that's what I meant. Two big mistakes overall, one in each program:eek::

and I will love that SP from Ashley and Tim to my dying day, as well as those lines in that FS.

They did themselves and the US proud.:clap:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

I don't know, I like them both. A lot. If C/L had skated what they did at the their Nationals I would agree, but they didn't - even though they definitely skated very well. In the end I think the ranking between them was correct.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
You know ... the SBS jumps are pairs elements. In fact, they account for 2 out of a total of 11 elements in a FS. That's nearly 20%.

Ashley and Tim are more inconsistent then The Italians. Those loops have been called rotated like twice in total and she regularly messes up the Sal. It's not they're doing better on the jumps. Give me the Italians any day over them. Cain and Leduc were called under at Nationals. You know it's bad if that happens.

Kittosuni

Medalist
The Knierims GOE scoring ceiling is very high and definitely can compete with the Chinese and Russians if they skate clean. They have 2 years to figure it out and heal from their injuries. Motivation and consistency is a big question mark though.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ This. At nationals, the reporting was that Chris's surgery will require a lengthy recovery. I hope they'll take a good long recovery time. Madison Chock was off ice for 10 months after her surgery, and C/B really had a resurgence. I don't hope for 10 months off ice for K/K, but whatever is needed. Another thing: Alexa said in a GS interview that after her illness, they both really feel what a privilege and a joy it is to compete again. I take that as a good sign for their motivation. Their consistency is a different story, but it's really only about the jumps. Seems like when one lands or completes, the other doesn't.

As for Ashley and Tim, it bodes well for their future that they've shown such dedication and progress in all their Pairs Elements. Quality and beauty. They earned Level 3s and 4s on their lifts at this WC. Including a level 4 on their triple twist lift, which they only learned 2 years ago, and the progress on that element has been steady. GOEs are climbing steadily as well. Their last lift in the FS, a Group 3, was so gorgeous. They actually remind me of James/Cipres in their lifts and lines, because of their beautiful extensions and ownership of the ice, skating big. And when I looked back at some of J/C programs at Worlds, their progression has been quite wonderful over 8 years together. The same with Scimeca/Knierim, it's interesting to watch S/K and J/C free skates at 2015 WC. It's wonderful to see what a longer time together can do for a team.