2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 971 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Judging by the pratice rounds she will only do the 4Lz and 4T+3T and 4T+Eu+3S.
She is replacing her 4F with a 2A. With a GOE+3 that means she is lowering her scoring potential with 10.01 points.
If this is the layout, I think it's the right way to go. I suspect her other elements will be much better with less quads in the program.

That layout won't cut it against Kostornaya and Shcherbakova's know and proven FP scores.

If Aleksandra wants to compete for anything higher than Bronze, she must compete maximum difficulty she is capable of. Unless, she jumps the triksel twice, like Alyona ... If she messes up (again), she might still end up being at the mercy of the coaching council in the run up to World Championships.

Tomorrow's practice runs will be interesting, but still might not give a clear indication of the plan for Aleksandra.

I really do wish for her to succeed and be content over the delivery of her routine.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
That layout won't cut it against Kostornaya and Shcherbakova's know and proven FP scores.

If Aleksandra wants to compete for anything higher than Bronze, she must compete maximum difficulty she is capable of. Unless, she jumps the triksel twice, like Alyona ... If she messes up (again), she might still end up being at the mercy of the coaching council in the run up to World Championships.

Tomorrow's practice runs will be interesting, but still might not give a clear indication of the plan for Aleksandra.

I really do wish for her to succeed and be content over the delivery of her routine.

Yes, that certainly won't be enough against a clean Anna.
However, we haven't seen clean Anna yet, and frankly I think Sasha has a bigger chance to go clean than Anna if she sticks to that 3 quad layout.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
At least 3 points

Why so many? What to do if this is still not enough?
But seriously, which of the famous female skaters would you put on a par with Sasha and Anna in calculating the PC today ?. I don’t ask about Alena. She has miles. I would compare Sasha and Braddy (with some advantage of Sasha). Correctly? What about Anna?

Fluture

Record Breaker
So, I‘m finally ready to give my thoughts. (just tired lol)

Aliona: When I read her interview afterwards where she said that she grew and had to regain her jumps, I thought it explained a lot. I love her but her landings were not as smooth as I’ve seen from her before and imo, she interpreted the program better before too. But she was quite obviously the best and the scores reflected that so I’m glad. She’s just such a star. Even when she’s not 100% at her best, people just can‘t help but watch her and be transfixed. Even the lady behind me who generally didn’t like the young Russian girls at all, was impressed by her. This program is still absolutely beautiful but tbh, I was so nervous I couldn’t concentrate properly.

But one thing I did see was the 3Lz because she did it right under my nose. And by right under my nose, I mean it. I was surprised by how good her edge looked. Not flat like usual but solid outside. So, kudos for that.

Anna: The lady behind me (who at least had comments that were quite on point when it came to music choices and dresses) said, when Anna‘s program started: “That music makes my ears hurt.“ I did have to agree with her on that, as terrible as it sounds. Idk why but the music was weirdly shrill in the beginning. Maybe the boxes were too loud - or that’s just how the music is? I don‘t remember that from the GPs or Nationals and I‘ve just rewatched the video and didn‘t notice it there either. But I did in the arena, so the first 5-10 seconds of the program were a bit ruined for me. But then I started to get into the performance and oh wow, it was just beautiful. Hauntingly beautiful. One time she skated right past me during the steps and her expression... you could tell she was really into it. Beautiful. Her spins were great too. I loved her today, except the beginning and the end tbh... the music fades out and in the arena it did create confusion on whether the program had already ended and she was late. She wasn‘t and I knew that, of course, but someone who doesn‘t know the program inside out will not. She got quite loud cheers and rightly so but I heard quite a few comments about her music selection as well. I think I understand now why it took the judges so long to warm up to it.

Something technical: She did the 3Lz-3Lo again just in front of my eyes. And the 3Lo was as beautifully rotated as I‘ve ever seen it. She did a bunch of them during the warm-up and they were all perfectly solid but the one in the program was the best, imo. In general, she looked in total control, totally calm, at all times. It surprised me when I read an interview where she said she had been nervous. From the 3A, I could enjoy her performance the most because I was weirdly not as nervous for her. I just KNEW she was going to nail it and she did.

A point of criticism, though: As perfectly rotated and beautiful as that 3Lz+3Lo was, the edge actually looked inside to me watching live. On the replay, I could see that it was more flat than truly inside but it was quite obviously not a correct edge. When she only got 77, I thought Shin Amano had called it !. He didn‘t and I have to say, I don‘t agree with this. He was quite harsh with everyone else, so him missing this is... hm.

Other than that, though: Exquisite SP.

Sasha: She is adorable. I love her personality. When she turned out of the 3A, I felt like laughing. This seems weird but it was just such an uncharacteristic mistake for her but at the same time I knew exactly why it happened and that she wouldn’t let it bother her. Her 2A was SO high and SO powerful, it was obvious her legs wanted to go for 3A but her brain said: wait, stop, no, we‘re supposed to do the double!!! In the end, she overrotated it. But it will be a 3A soon anyway, I‘m very confident about that. Other than that, her cantilever is seriously impressive and the combo was beautiful and confident. (though on the other side of the rink)

I have to note, though, that I did not quite agree with her marks. I love her and she can absolutely win this with her FS but this was not a 34 PCS and 75 program. It was a nice program, a good one, and I think she made improvements in presentation. She is still not quite there yet and certainly not at 34. And compared to Aliona (who even when she‘s not at her best exudes star quality and who moves so easily and quickly across the entire rink) and Anna (who‘s just so into her performance with every fiber of her being) 1 (to Anna) and 2 (Aliona) points difference in PCS is not enough. She just looked like a junior today. A great junior but a junior. I also always thought Sasha had better skating skills than Anna (yes, I did, during their junior days it was quite obvious!) but today the opposite was the case. Anna moved easily, it looked as if she was floating. (Her edges weren’t that deep tho, tbh, compared to Aliona for example where you can see it even from the stands) Sasha didn‘t. Her step sequence also bothered me a bit. I do think you‘re supposed to use the entire surface of the ice, right, but she didn‘t come across my side of the rink even once. I was thinking: “come on, Sasha!“ because I knew she would lose a level or even two if she just didn‘t use one side of the rink at all but she focused on the middle/left side of the rink. When I saw her level 4, I was a bit: :scratch2: I‘m happy she chose to do only 3 quads and can‘t wait to see her program tomorrow. With only three (that sounds so wrong lol “only“ three) quads she should hopefully be clean as she‘s been before this season and her presentation will be better then, too. She’s already in the history books forever because of all of her quads. No one will forget her. Now it’s time to work on presentation and stuff like that so that she can raise her PCS and become a truly balanced skater. But: Dracarys! :)

All in all, though, I loved the competition and I‘m very happy for all three girls. I may not agree with all scores but I‘m thrilled they skated cleanly. This was all I wanted and let the best one win tomorrow. :bow: :clap:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Thanks Fluture. I envy you to have seen them up close. Will you give another report tomorrow?

Fluture

Record Breaker
Thanks Fluture. I envy you to have seen them up close. Will you give another report tomorrow?

I think so. I will be there for all days of competition and the gala and I love these girls and to write, so why not? :)

They‘re also quite the power trio in their bright red Team Russia jackets. You sure cannot miss them! They’re like: “Yes, hello, we‘re here now, ready to take our medals.“ Confidence. :biggrin:

Amei

Record Breaker
what if they are all squeaky clean?

If they are all squeaky clean:

- If Trusova does her 5 quad program and lands everything - she wins the FS and wins gold at Europeans

- If Trusova does her 3 quad layout that's been practiced at the competition and the other 2 do their layouts from the GPF cleanly; Anna should win the FS since she was able to beat Kostornaia at the GPF (albeit barely) with a fall (4F) and under-rotation (4Lz). She would likely win overall gold as well, she lost almost 8 points on her base value with the negative GOE at the GPF and an additional point off her total for the fall, so almost 9 points. Kostornaia's SP lead over her at Europeans is just under 7 points. And you have to believe that if Shcherbakova lands everything clean that she would have some additional positive GOE on her TES score and likely the PCS goes up slightly. Silver and gold would really be a toss-up but I think with the SP advantage and slight PCS advantage in the FS Kostornaia would be silver over Trusova.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I’m not the biggest fan of Sasha’s skating, but I’m a huge fan of her as an athlete/person. I think Sasha’s totally able to interpret better, but her latest programs have music that she (or anyone at all) might have problems to connect with. The biggest proof for me is her Big Spender program (and I’m not entering on the appropriate/inappropriate matter of this program, just in her ability to perform it). For me, she totally sells Big Spender, and that might be the type of music that she connects better with. I think Daniil and Eteri should give her catchy/fun/rhythmic music to skate to, so that we see a more bubbly side of her, or at least a piece of music that she connects with. Not being super expressive with sad/dramatic music is one of the problems I see with her interpretation, because sometimes it’s hard for a young girl to show a face expression like that and not confuse it with the face expression of concentration.

The second thing is: have you considered maybe it’s not entirely Sasha’s fault? I remember an interview given by Valieva where she says that her coaches told her to focus on her jumps instead of on the interpretation of the music during her first event this season. I remember everybody said that last season she was selling her Picasso program better, and I totally agree, but that’s what she was told to do. Maybe Sasha is being to told to land all her jumps, even if that messes with her interpretation.

I’m actually very impressed with the practice video of her FS. She showed more arm/hand movements, she had more time to fully extend her legs and more time to actually perform when doing a not so crowded program. Let’s wait and see if with better programs she shows the performatic that side of her. One thing is giving Anna the same music Sasha’s skating to in her SP - I think Anna would be able to sell it, because she’s out of this world in interpretation. However, even Anna would have some trouble interpreting the Game of Thrones program. Even if Sasha is fierce as a person, she’s not fully developed to sell a Daenery’s program, and not many ladies in the field are in my honest opinion. Zhilina sold it because she looked the cutest thing dressed like Daenerys, and because of the “cute child interpreting serious music” factor. Yes, Sasha had a little bit of that on Big Spender, but at least we know she can smile and have fun during a program, and all I want is to see her being given a great program to skate to.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I just rewatched the SPs of the Russians again. And I think Sasha's spins are highly underrated. She actually has the most centred spins of all the 3As (both Anna and Alena travelled here). Sasha OTOH didn't travel on any of her spins. And I love her sit spins and even the layback was very nice and fast. The problems arise when she has to pull her leg above her head (Biellman in the layback, half Biellman in the camel). Unfortunately she just doesn't have the flexibility of Anna and Alena. Apart from the over head positions, dare I say Sasha actually has the best spins of the 3A? Is it possible for her to get all level 4s without those leg over head positions? Her spins would look so much better without them. It must be frustrating to have something that you can't really change like flexibility affect 3 whole elements even though everything else is very good. I never noticed the centering and speed of Sasha's spins before, I used to think her spins were quite bad but now I see it's really just the Biellmanns.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The highlighted parts have nothing to do with grace and elegance if you music isn't lyrical. For example, skaters who are doing jazz funk or hip-hop styled programs are not mean to be graceful nor elegant. Those styles call for sharper and "looser" movements. As for Anna clearly not being as good of a performer or not as musical, I'd like to ask you to point out a timestamp where she wasn't expressing the music/character or was off the music. Saying Anna's not great at interpretation like it's a fact? As someone who has studied music and dance my entire life, I think she has by far the best musical interpretation I've ever seen in a skater, along with Sasha Cohen. This has been echoed by many other posters as well, and Ted Barton has commented on Anna's musicality and expressiveness many times. OTOH I find that Alena is an example of someone with very good technique (skating skills, turnouts) who is just going through the motions. So not as much of a fact as you may think.

Again we will agree to disagree. Jazz funk and hip hop might not have the SAME grace as a Swan Lake but you can bet that they require grace and elegance. But that’s besides the point - Trusova is doing classical pieces ... but isn’t skating them with the finesse and grace one would hope for.

No shade — but her junior-turned-senior is showing. And that takes time to shake off, unless you’re a Kostornaia.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Again we will agree to disagree. Jazz funk and hip hop might not have the SAME grace as a Swan Lake but you can bet that they require grace and elegance. But that’s besides the point - Trusova is doing classical pieces ... but isn’t skating them with the finesse and grace one would hope for.

No shade — but her junior-turned-senior is showing. And that takes time to shake off, unless you’re a Kostornaia.

Are you familiar with Sasha's music? Yes, it's classical but not all classical pieces are graceful and elegant, especially character pieces with a specific storyline. In her second piece of music, In the Hall of the Mountain King, she is portraying an actual troll and interpreting the chaotic scene from Peer Gynt. Now, I'm not trying to say that Sasha is the greatest prodigy of musical interpretation of all time, but expecting her to have the grace and elegance of Odette while portraying a troll wouldn't make sense. All classical pieces have not only musical context, in this case set by the frantic pacing and sharp notes, but in Sasha's case, also plot context.

Do I think she can skate to classical pieces with the same ability as Anna, who I believe is a prodigy in that department? No, but even Anna would not be graceful as a troll, and she shouldn't be. That would be wildly inappropriate for this piece. Sasha's SP isn't a genius performance, but considering the music she's skating to, I don't think she's lacking in grace.

The same criticism was given last season when she as Leeloo - that she lacked emotional expression and was awkward - but that was very much Leeloo's character. I think Sasha does have limitations in her artistry, as do most skaters, and that's exactly why she's skating to programs that suit her. It would be an issue if they gave her Swan Lake or an extremely lyrical piece like some of Alena or Anna's selections, but they did not. At the same time, I think many of the more lyrical skaters would also struggle with some of Sasha's choreography. I hope Sasha expands her range into a more versatile artist, but everyone has their natural niche.

I get what you're saying I think, that powerful energetic programs should also have grace and elegance. For example, like a Bond girl or maybe a Lara Croft. But those are very different from Sasha's programs; last season she was an alien and this season she is a troll. For her GoT program, I can see where it lacked choreography overall when she was doing 5 quads, but with the recent reduction, I think that has improved as well.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I have to say I am a little worried about Sasha. She has the highest scoring potential among 3As, but is also the most vulnerable. Alena's body probably won't change that much in the next few years and Anna will probably remain very slender (remember seeing how tiny her mom is) but not sure about Sasha. Sasha's technical content will be dependent on her small build. Even a three quad program is not sustainable in a year or two.

I also noticed that she does not have that effortless glide over the ice like Anna and Alena, which probably affects the impact of her performance and limits her pcs. For some reason when I was thinking how can she improve her pcs, I felt it is actually pretty hard because the way she glide over ice. Let's wait for the next season to see which direction she will go.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Regarding Aleksandra’s music and artistic image choices, the purpose of #TeamTutberidzeForProgress is always to develop their skaters by staging them challenging, even difficult images.
And this shows in Aleksandra, for she is growing, while actually the youngest of the Awesomely Amazing Aces.

We’ll see how she competes tonight.

I am sure all of us want nothing but the best for her and the other skaters :)

Arbitrary

Medalist
Yet..
It seems like a bad season for Sasha.
But feel no shame, dear child. You already accomplished well beyond the absolute most could dream about.
We may only support you!
------- Written is she doesn't win today ---------

Or, gear Sasha! You were just gorgeous!
------- Written otherwise --------

renebaebae

On the Ice
Judging by the practice rounds she will only do the 4Lz and 4T+3T and 4T+Eu+3S.
She is replacing her 4F with a 2A. With a GOE+3 that means she is lowering her scoring potential with 10.01 points.
If this is the layout, I think it's the right way to go. I suspect her other elements will be much better with fewer quads in the program.

I wonder why she doesn't just do 2 4Lz instead of 2 4T esp because her lutz seems quite stable and she already moved the first toe to the first half anyway. The lutz is just a much more valuable jump than the toe that Idk why she just refuses to repeat it this season unlike last.

Fluture

Record Breaker
According to Sport Express, Aleksandra just moments ago cleanly performed her FP in training.

Count the quads!

Regarding Aleksandra’s music and artistic image choices, the purpose of #TeamTutberidzeForProgress is always to develop their skaters by staging them challenging, even difficult images.
And this shows in Aleksandra, for she is growing, while actually the youngest of the Awesomely Amazing Aces.

We’ll see how she competes tonight.

I am sure all of us want nothing but the best for her and the other skaters :)

Whaaat, the training is already over? Oh no. I‘m on my way and thought the last group would start at 12. Well, happens.

I forgot about this moment from yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7t5SSBo9f5/?igshid=wgd327z02fnu

Aliona was at the small medal ceremony for Men‘s FS and when the public/press was allowed to ask questions; she wanted to ask one as well. If somebody knowledgeable about Russian could correct me, I‘d be grateful but as far as I remember from the translation, she basically congratulated them and also jokingly told Morisi to work harder. Which is just. :rofl:

Arbitrary

Medalist
I wonder why she doesn't just do 2 4Lz instead of 2 4T esp because her lutz seems quite stable and she already moved the first toe to the first half anyway. The lutz is just a much more valuable jump than the toe that Idk why she just refuses to repeat it this season unlike last.

Pure mathematics.

4T-1Eu-3S + 10% is slightly higher than 4Lz-3T in the 1st half.
Trusova is able to land two quads in the 2nd half (which is a pretty achievement by itself). 4T is her most stable jump and less demanding than 4Lz. Nobody (of female skaters) ever landed 4Lz in the 2nd half.

I'd expect her 4Lo done in some time. This jump deserves more BV, maybe higher than 4Lz. Say, 12.0 COP and 4A should be 13.5-14...