2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 182 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

SkateSkates

Medalist
Alina and Sasha will be at Japan Open!

This is not surprising at all - actually it’s exactly what I expected!

Now I wonder when the Shanghai trophy participants will be confirmed. We know Zhenya was invited, but whether or not she accepted it is unknown.

Edit: based on the announcement, it seems like Sofia will be invited. The top 5 from worlds are invited first, but anyone from the top 12 are eligible. Then also the top 3 from junior worlds are also eligible. So, removing the skaters already assigned to Japan open, that leaves Elizabet, Zhenya, Kaori, then Sofia (+Mariah Bell). Seems like Anna is also eligible to be invited if I am reading it correctly, but they won’t go into the JWC medalists until enough of the top 12 from worlds decline?

karina17

Final Flight
This is not surprising at all - actually it’s exactly what I expected!

Now I wonder when the Shanghai trophy participants will be confirmed. We know Zhenya was invited, but whether or not she accepted it is unknown.

Edit: based on the announcement, it seems like Sofia will be invited. The top 5 from worlds are invited first, but anyone from the top 12 are eligible. Then also the top 3 from junior worlds are also eligible. So, removing the skaters already assigned to Japan open, that leaves Elizabet, Zhenya, Kaori, then Sofia (+Mariah Bell). Seems like Anna is also eligible to be invited if I am reading it correctly, but they won’t go into the JWC medalists until enough of the top 12 from worlds decline?

I don't know if Elizabet and Anna would go, they're both assigned to the first GP and if I'm not wrong there's not a lot of time between the two events (one to two weeks?)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GROUP A Russian Ladies

1-5
Trusova (QUADS!!)
Tuktamysheva (3 Axel!!)
Scherbakova (4Lutz!!)
Kostornaia (Consistency/Performance/Jumps)
Medvedeva (Artistry)

Group B

6-11
Zagitova (Under rotation, height problems, inconsistency)
Konstantinova (Inconsistency)
Samadurova (Not difficult programs compared to other ladies)
Gubanova (Not on Senior GP, performances at RN over past three years always inside top 10 so underrated.
Tarakanova (Jumps, consistency)
Tarusina (Consistency)

Group C

12-16
Sotskova (inconsistency, low BV of elements, height problems)
Sakhonovich (see Bavarian Open 2019, inconsistent, low scores)
Nugumanova (inconsistency)
Guliakova (PCS not high, mediocre consistency)
Vasilieva (consistency)

Welcome to Golden Skate.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I don't know if Elizabet and Anna would go, they're both assigned to the first GP and if I'm not wrong there's not a lot of time between the two events (one to two weeks?)

Makes sense. So if Elizabet declines, the next invite goes to Eunsoo, then Gabby, then Leona. If all of them decline, it would go to Anna and then Ting (since Sasha is busy at JO). So Anna likely won’t be invited unless all of the skaters ahead of her decline (based on how I’m reading it, priority order is worlds 1-12 then junior worlds medalists in order?)

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I’m shocked they are going to let Alina be dethroned so early in the season.

Or that they want Sasha to face Rika so early on.

Rika met with Sasha in the past. And more than once. I like that intrigue will be marked at the very beginning of the season. Why bury your head in the sand?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Gubanova is only group C for me. Puberty problems, not loved by rusfed
I keep hearing about puberty problems for Nastya. Can you explain your thoughts on it? She has a little bit of a figure for a ladies figure skater. But she's not so curvy that it should interfere with her tremendous skating skills in my opinion. What you and others will probably say is adding four or five pounds and growing in 2 or 3 inched can throw everything off. Well I hope Anastasiia is through puberty now at 16 and a half years old.

Alina should be in group A on anyone's list.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I’m shocked they are going to let Alina be dethroned so early in the season.

Or that they want Sasha to face Rika so early on.

I think it‘s interesting. And never say never. It could be like Worlds 2019 but also like GPF 2018. Who dethroned who? Sasha will probably dethrone them all. :laugh:

Sasha will meet Rika during the GP and GPF anyway. Better to see now how she fares against her.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Also - this is just the LP portion of the competition. So whoever wins has only won the LP. In “real” events (not saying this isn’t real) there is obviously also a SP, where certain skaters (i.e. Alina) with high GOE on spins and steps can gain a lead over those with quads/ultra-c elements. And oftentimes a SP lead can win an entire event for a skater.

So yes, winning the Japan Open is nice, but often isn’t an indicator of success throughout the season. Mao won it with a high score in 2015-16 and was only 7th at worlds.

Will still be interesting to see the Rika vs Alina vs Sasha match up. Can’t discount Bradie to sneak in there after her scores at WTT either.

I don’t want to come off as downplaying this event either, just wanted to bring up this point.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm probably not supposed to say what I honestly think about this rating.

Just say what I say and that is Alina should be in group A and at the top of group A. You can't put the kiddos ahead of her and Zhenya until they do it on the senior level.

Finley

Record Breaker
I would put Alina in group A (difficult combos, high PCS, also reigning world champ?!)

And beating her closest competitors (with their 3 axels, quad jump, and "Group A artistry" by more than 10 points in the toughest competition of the season!

Welcome to Golden Skate! :thank:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Welcome to Golden Skate! :thank:

They have banned comments on ISU JGP channel, but I remember one funny comment under the first SP of Aliona Kostornaia on JGP Poland 2017:
"When I've seen so many dislikes, I thought the girl fell six times, acted rude, was ungrateful, messed up everything..."
(and than the author of course explained that it was just the opposite and what people can be...)

If I would have been a man who is not aware of figure skating at all, just by reading GS comments I would get a very similar idea sometimes. Alina? That skater who is inconsistent, UR's non-stop, has no artistry, skating tragic programs... :dance2:

Finley

Record Breaker
They have banned comments on ISU JGP channel, but I remember one funny comment under the first SP of Aliona Kostornaia on JGP Poland 2017:
"When I've seen so many dislikes, I thought the girl fell six times, acted rude, was ungrateful, messed up everything..."
(and than the author of course explained that it was just the opposite and what people can be...)

If I would have been a man who is not aware of figure skating at all, just by reading GS comments I would get a very similar idea sometimes. Alina? That skater who is inconsistent, UR's non-stop, has no artistry, skating tragic programs... :dance2:

Don't forget "Overscored!" :drama: "Trending downward" :palmf: and "deteriorating technique" :shocked: Oh, I almost forgot "Undeserving" :rolleye:

Memories of last season in the Russian Ladies Thread on GS! Good Times!

And then came Worlds :) Best day ever!

But for some people Alina is just this mediocre skater who the judges are just throwing medals at for some reason. :scratch2: It's a mystery....

moriel

Record Breaker
GROUP A Russian Ladies

1-5
Trusova (QUADS!!)
Tuktamysheva (3 Axel!!)
Scherbakova (4Lutz!!)
Medvedeva (Artistry)

Group B

6-11
Zagitova (Under rotation, height problems, inconsistency)
Samadurova (Not difficult programs compared to other ladies)
Gubanova (Not on Senior GP, performances at RN over past three years always inside top 10 so underrated.
Tarakanova (Jumps, consistency)
Tarusina (Consistency)

Group C

12-16
Sotskova (inconsistency, low BV of elements, height problems)
Sakhonovich (see Bavarian Open 2019, inconsistent, low scores)
Nugumanova (inconsistency)
Guliakova (PCS not high, mediocre consistency)
Vasilieva (consistency)

Ok, lemme fix tis:

Group A
Trusova (QUADS)
Zagitova (Artistry/Reputation/High TES among non quadsters)
Tuktamysheva (3 Axel)
Scherbakova (4Lutz but inconsistent)

Group B
Medvedeva (Under rotation, inconsistency, issues with transitions and rotations)
SamOdurova (Consistent but low TES)

-- people above have a chance for major international senior competition, people below, not really---

Group C
Gubanova (Inconsistency, UR issues, team that is not likely to address those)
Tarakanova (No consistency, recent coach change, yet to see how it goes)
Tarusina (Consistency)
Sotskova (Honestly I dont even know - considering university, disaster last season and the recent death of her father, I wouldn't bet here)
Sakhonovich (Inconsistent)
Nugumanova (Inconsistent)
Guliakova (Inconsistent)
Vasilieva (Consistent but UR issues that may be called internationally)

moriel

Record Breaker
Also - this is just the LP portion of the competition. So whoever wins has only won the LP. In “real” events (not saying this isn’t real) there is obviously also a SP, where certain skaters (i.e. Alina) with high GOE on spins and steps can gain a lead over those with quads/ultra-c elements. And oftentimes a SP lead can win an entire event for a skater.

So yes, winning the Japan Open is nice, but often isn’t an indicator of success throughout the season. Mao won it with a high score in 2015-16 and was only 7th at worlds.

Will still be interesting to see the Rika vs Alina vs Sasha match up. Can’t discount Bradie to sneak in there after her scores at WTT either.

I don’t want to come off as downplaying this event either, just wanted to bring up this point.

Also, Japanese are clever and know how to start the season with a bang for sure.