2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 302 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Kamila needs to fix this problem with nerves NOW. Sorry for coming off so harshly.
She owes nothing to anyone. Moreover - she doesn't need to fix anything - especially NOW. Why that sense of urgency? For what purpose she needs to be perfect as soon as possible? She lives for fans or for herself? If it's latter - she may as well withdraw from FP or not even reach JGPF. So what? From her career perspective it changes nothing. She can easily qualify to JWC by handful of various ways or she can even skip it this season at all. What happens in first junior season is just training. All that matters is that she would be invited to test skates next season - since it's the next season that is important. And it's pretty much inevitable considering she has quads.
I wonder why everyone usually are so dismissive about Japanese, Korean or other promising skaters failures during junior circle - claiming time and again after - that this or that skater have some real chances to beat Russians or to win at each consecutive competition - despite their clear signs of high inconsistency or problem with nerves throughout many years of their career? And what even more amusing - this approach is proven to be working. Wakaba, Kihira etc. - there are many examples of a skaters who never could solve their nerves issues - but they were able to win key competitions and get world fame. Yet for Russian talents you have absolutely different, much more unforgiving, demanding attitude?
Again -what matters is OlyGames. Everything else is just a dust. Keep your cool, collect experience, train silently, learn new jumps - step by step. And only when the time comes - one needs to gain his peak form. Only then you have the right to demand particular results from a skater. I see only FOUR comps for Kamila where she needs to perform great: next season's test skates, any int comp after that for SB score and GP invite, 3rd season RusNat, OlyGames. That's all. Everything else is just training where results are important only for fans amusement.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
For those of you who are criticizing Kamila for her performance, don’t. Poor girl is ONLY 13! And it is her debut on the JGP series, of course she’s gonna have nerves. As she is only 13, she has room to grow, mature, and learn how to handle her nerves. She also gets coached by Eteri, and that’s more stressful! That coaching team expects perfection from every one of their skaters, of course she is scared out of her life because she doesn’t want to disappoint them and herself. Kamila- kudos to you. You tried your best, and it just didn’t work out on the 3Lz. Best of luck in the free.

ruga

Final Flight
Could the altitude at Courchevel affect skaters' performance? The elevation is 1.8 km. Also, it's expected that a skater cannot always skate clean. Today we will see longer programs and more elemets. The conclusions can be made only after the competition has ended.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
@ the people freaking out at Kamila's performance, can you name one champion who had a perfect first JGP season? I usually don't mind hype because its fine to faun over someone you think has talent etc, but this is definitely the toxic side of it, because when someone isn't perfect everyone is "let down". Its definitely not normal to have this much pressure at your first international competition. But this one fall in a short program at a gosh darn junior grand prix is beyond meaningless. This is where you're supposed to make mistakes! In fact I would be worried if she were perfect at this point. Remember, its a long season, she needs to hold out until March! Anyways, I actually thought her interpretation improved since test skates where she was rushing; Its a shame for the fall but its really not a big deal. We'll forget about this come the next JGP or even tomorrow depending on how it goes (but even if it doesn't go well its not the end of the world). And no, this one fall does not indicate a pattern. Trusova/Kostornaia set an extremely high bar for consistency on triple jumps (and even they had their mistakes), but that is definitely not the norm for 13 year olds, or for anyone for that matter. One fall in your first international comp is not a sign of a bigger problem, its just a fall. And remember, she had two near-perfect skates at test skates! You can't expect her to be perfect at every competition!

As for Maia, even though it wasn't perfect, it was still a great debut! Who would've thought, the girl who couldn't even go to junior nationals last year would be leading her first JGP! I wish they'd given her at least one new program, but I'm sure she'll do great with these.

Watch

Final Flight
I'm sorry, I might be naive, but are we seriously talking about failure and general problems with managing nerves when all that happened is that Kamilla skated one program in one competition imperfectly? That's quite the overreaction :unsure:

GINO

On the Ice
people freaking out at Kamila's performance, can you name one champion who had a perfect first JGP season?

If we consider only Eteri students, then Lipnitskaya won her first JGP season(with one step out on 3F at Italian JGP), Tsurskaya(with fall on 3F at Poland JGP) and Trusova(in two seasons she never fell from triple jumps). In general, I agree with you and do not share the toxic moods of this thread. If Kamila skates cleanly today, then she will win this competition without a doubt.

ruga

Final Flight
I think we all got a bit spoiled last season with Anna, Aliona and Sasha delivering performances that could easily get a medal at senior Worlds nearly each competition they skated at. Obviously Kamila isn't obliged to deliver a completely perfect skate at her first intl competition (which hasn't even ended by the way). I'm pretty sure she will become more confident as she competes more.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Kamila will be in juniors for two seasons so she needs to use these two seasons to set her up to be special for her first senior season 2 years from now. there is no need to panic now if she has a bad skate or a bad event.

moriel

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I might be naive, but are we seriously talking about failure and general problems with managing nerves when all that happened is that Kamilla skated one program in one competition imperfectly? That's quite the overreaction :unsure:

not just that, but one program in her JGP and international debut
her first "big" competition
she will still have 2 years of junior competitions
its very early in the season

esteticlove

Final Flight
Maya has very soft and beautiful arms. But for some reason I don't love her. She's elegant and graceful, but I don't think she has the qualities to stand out and the charm that the others have. There's no wow factor that there is with Kamila. She reminds me a lot of Sotskova, actually. A beautiful skater with great qualities but "boring". And I don't know why. I haven't seen many performances from her, so may that'll change.

To me Maya looks a little bit too stiff, but it's obvious that they're working on polishing her. She might not seem naturally talented but if she's able to keep her nerves in competitions, it means she could get very consistent and in situations like the current one (the favourite messes up), she's up there to take the winning place.

moriel

Record Breaker
To me Maya looks a little bit too stiff, but it's obvious that they're working on polishing her. She might not seem naturally talented but if she's able to keep her nerves in competitions, it means she could get very consistent and in situations like the current one (the favourite messes up), she's up there to take the winning place.

I think there is something wrong with her posture, not sure if its her shoulders, or something, but that looks very distracting to me.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Kamila will be in juniors for two seasons so she needs to use these two seasons to set her up to be special for her first senior season 2 years from now. there is no need to panic now if she has a bad skate or a bad event.

Yes. And she didn‘t even have a bad event yet. She had a bad SP. If she wins the FS - and with that quad she has at least a pretty good chance to do just that - she wins the whole event. Even a silver wouldn‘t be a problem. And if we look at how the judging went yesterday, she‘s practically guaranteed to get at least silver if she skates reasonably well. Her PCS were extremely high for someone only just debuting in juniors. So, I‘d say better for her to show nerves now and get used to the feeling of international competition earlier than later. I’m not even a major fan of her but all these people expecting perfection from a 13 year old... well... Imagine being 13 and stepping onto the ice knowing many in your country already expect you to be the next Olympic Champ. The majority of us probably wouldn‘t have landed any jumps with that kind of pressure and I‘d say we‘re a bit older than 13 lol.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
And it may just be that yesterday's fall lifted all that pressure from Kamila's shoulders, and she will skate completely free today, 'she's broken the ice' :)

She is second to last to skate tonight, and given what she said in her latest 1tv.ru feature, waiting for her start is the hardest.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yes. And she didn‘t even have a bad event yet. She had a bad SP. If she wins the FS - and with that quad she has at least a pretty good chance to do just that - she wins the whole event. Even a silver wouldn‘t be a problem. And if we look at how the judging went yesterday, she‘s practically guaranteed to get at least silver if she skates reasonably well. Her PCS were extremely high for someone only just debuting in juniors. So, I‘d say better for her to show nerves now and get used to the feeling of international competition earlier than later. I’m not even a major fan of her but all these people expecting perfection from a 13 year old... well... Imagine being 13 and stepping onto the ice knowing many in your country already expect you to be the next Olympic Champ. The majority of us probably wouldn‘t have landed any jumps with that kind of pressure and I‘d say we‘re a bit older than 13 lol.
It's simple she has to find her way and bounce back after a subpar performance the way her forbearers in Russian ladies figure skating have. We have to remember that Alina had two disastrous freeskates last year at Nationals and Europeans and the season before as Olympic champion with the world's free skate. The rare bad performances Alina has did not ruin her and they will not ruin kamila. And Alina keeps bouncing back. The mistakes hurt her but it made her tougher and more resilient and it has to do the same thing with Kamila.

Watch

Final Flight
Meanwhile, Liza Tiktamysheva has presented her new programs at an open practice session. Here's a bit of her short:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gOdNyDtZF/

According to the description, she fell twice on the first run-through, then skated it again cleanly. There's also a new interview with her from the same event:

https://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles...lya-v-proizvolnoj-programme-i-odin-v-korotkoj

She's going to have two 3As in the Free and one 3A in the Short. What she says about the Short is a bit of a head scratcher for me, though. She says it was choreographed by Shae-Lynne and the basis of the program is from her and then even proceeds with "We're considering the musix right now. We might change it, but maybe not".

So, implying that Mishin once again changed and simplified the choreo... :noshake: I really don't know why you would send your skater to a very expensive choreographer if you're going to change most of it anyway. And changing the music, but still using parts of the original choreo that was made for something completely different is even stranger.

andromache

Record Breaker
She's going to have two 3As in the Free and one 3A in the Short. What she says about the Short is a bit of a head scratcher for me, though. She says it was choreographed by Shae-Lynne and the basis of the program is from her and then even proceeds with "We're considering the musix right now. We might change it, but maybe not".

So, implying that Mishin once again changed and simplified the choreo... :noshake: I really don't know why you would send your skater to a very expensive choreographer if you're going to change most of it anyway. And changing the music, but still using parts of the original choreo that was made for something completely different is even stranger.

Ugh, what a bummer! I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up about the Liza/Shae-Lynne collaboration....