2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 570 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just a few thoughts (my first real post on GS) from a 70-yr-old fan who loves figure skating and especially these wonderful Russan ladies skaters! What would happen if RusFed decided to send totally different teams to Euros, Jr Worlds, and Worlds this year? Maybe even to WTT, Universiade, and Youth Olympics; I'm concentrating on just the first three mentioned for now. Here is my thinking:

Who could podium at Euros (with no East Asians, Americans, other younger Russians, etc) that may not be able to podium at worlds, and are too old for Jr Worlds? Quads not necessary at all! (Trixels may be a bit of bonus for one of the skaters, one who needs that TES help.) Am thinking of how they've been scoring, both TES and PCS. How about Liza Tukt, Evgenia M, and Sofia S, since Sofia won it last year? Liza and Sophia are both Mishin's girls, but so what? Against the other European skaters, I see a potential podium sweep here.

Who could podium at Worlds? Why not go with Alina Z(who won it last year),Sasha T who has by far the highest TES potential, and Alena K? I know these are all Eteri's girls, but I feel these three can compete well against all the best of the rest of the world. They could even have a podium sweep, or close to it.

And what about Jr Worlds? Would it be so awful to put Anna S there (she's the 2nd youngest of the Eteri camp), along with Kamila V amd Ksenia S? I dunno about a podium sweep but they'd do very well!

Being 'left out' is Stansilava K, who may or may not be up to form after Russian Nati'ls, as well as Daria U and Ksenia S. I'm thinking strickly of podium potential.

What I'm trying to do is line up three entirely different' 'teams' so as to give skaters on each team a chance to podium and get much-needed world standing points.

Other international senior comps like WTT, Universiade, Youth Olympics, etc--whoever does get left out of the 'big' upcoming comps could go there.

I considered other groupings, but wanted opinions on whether or not this splitting into separate groups would even be something for RusFed to consider. Thinking that the more skaters who could walk away with medals, the better. Would ONE major medal from these comps satisfy any of them? Guess I'd like to see the medals spread around a bit if possible. Am not using spell check so if typos are found I'll correct them.

Before this gets any longer, I'll send it and see what others think.

le01

Rinkside
Why bother sending Sofia S to Euros? She seems to be really struggling this year. Better send 123 to worlds an 124 to euros as Rusfed can pretty much decide what to do with 3rd place. And I doubt any of them want to go back to junior competitions

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Why bother sending Sofia S to Euros? She seems to be really struggling this year. Better send 123 to worlds an 124 to euros as Rusfed can pretty much decide what to do with 3rd place. And I doubt any of them want to go back to junior competitions

That's probably what will happen. It seems kind of a shame to leave out everyone else but if RusFed goes strictly by Russian Nationals (which they didn't do last year) at least it would be 'fair' I guess.

Out of those who finish top 5 at Russian Nationals, I suppose they could alternately send 1 to both Euros and Worlds, 2 and 4 to worlds, 3 and 5 to Euros. Some deserving skaters will be left out, regardless.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
That's probably what will happen. It seems kind of a shame to leave out everyone else but if RusFed goes strictly by Russian Nationals (which they didn't do last year) at least it would be 'fair' I guess.

Out of those who finish top 5 at Russian Nationals, I suppose they could alternately send 1 to both Euros and Worlds, 2 and 4 to worlds, 3 and 5 to Euros. Some deserving skaters will be left out, regardless.

Maybe they could take the top 4 at Nationals, and then send 1, 3, 4 to Euros. 1 and 2 would be guaranteed spots at Worlds, while whoever did better of 3 and 4 at Euros would get to go to Worlds. This way, 1 would get the prize of getting to compete at both Euros and Worlds, 2 would still be guaranteed a Worlds spot, and 3 and 4 would have another shot to earn their way to Worlds. And all four of them would get to compete at at least one or the other.

I don't think they will play any of these games though. They probably will just send the top three to Euros, and then if they don't like the team or someone is sick or something like Liza last year, they'll do something with the Russian Cup.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I don't see a reason for RusFed to send different teams to worlds and Euros. It has never been about giving everyone a chance. Their job is to send the most deserving and most qualified skaters. If the top 3 skaters as nationals are also the top 3 highest performing skaters over the GP circuit, they will be sent Euros. And should they all skate well and make the podium, they will be sent to World's. That and whoever they want to politick for whatever reason. Competitive sport has never been about spreading the medals. Euros is not a consolation prize for those who don't make world's, it is a major competition for which they would want to send their best team. The 3 best skaters (at nationals and GPs) should deserve to go to both Euros and Worlds, and not miss out on Euros for someone else. They should be given the opportunity to get World and European medals as they have earned per the selection criteria. That's it.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Just watched Zhenya and Sasha. Both ladies look really strong, very determined. I think we're in for a nice treat this weekend, together with Sima's presentation. Zhenya and Sasha have both improved in their own way, it's really nice to see.

Nikolay96

Spectator
Is Zhenya translating for Sasha? Is she saying that there is no quads allowed?

I speak Russian and I can kind of hear Sasha asking something about someone going last and Zhenya responding "Well Yes" theres other stuff they're saying that can't be heard.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I'd say staring 2nd in the 2ng group before her major concurrents isn't a bad position for Sasha. She's usually doing better when going earlier, like Pluschenko did.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I’ve been wondering, after the Plushenko/Yagudin rivalry what it’s like for Mishin now seeing women all the very young phenoms overtake his more senior former wold champion. I know it’s not the same since they aren’t training together? Not meant to be critical it all. It just seemed interesting to me to think that he has such a talented and decorated skater but she is being overshadowed by the young prodigies.

macy

Record Breaker
the more i think about it, i think if one of 3A was left off the world team, they may be sent to euros instead of JW. i think we will see Kamila, Daria and Kseniia go to JW. these girls could sweep the podium there, so i don't think there's a need to send a senior. if Sasha, Anna or Alena don't make the world team, i can definitely see one of them being picked for Euros. not like they would be risking anything.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
the more i think about it, i think if one of 3A was left off the world team, they may be sent to euros instead of JW. i think we will see Kamila, Daria and Kseniia go to JW. these girls could sweep the podium there, so i don't think there's a need to send a senior. if Sasha, Anna or Alena don't make the world team, i can definitely see one of them being picked for Euros. not like they would be risking anything.

Well I doubt Russia could sweep juniors based on the Grand Prix. Korea and Liu would have something to say about that if not a Japanese lady. Ice is so slippery that even seniors a world sweep is fairly tough you have three very strong Japanese ladies, the current world silver medallist. yes, Russia is strong senior wise. It is kind of sad in a way that a decorated skater like Evgenia really appears out of the mix. I wonder what is going on in her mind.

macy

Record Breaker
Well I doubt Russia could sweep juniors based on the Grand Prix. Korea and Liu would have something to say about that if not a Japanese lady. Ice is so slippery that even seniors a world sweep is fairly tough you have three very strong Japanese ladies, the current world silver medallist. yes, Russia is strong senior wise. It is kind of sad in a way that a decorated skater like Evgenia really appears out of the mix. I wonder what is going on in her mind.

it is less likely for them to sweep vs senior worlds, but they absolutely could. their biggest threats are Alysa and Haein, but ice is slippery. just saying it's possible.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I am answering you, Scott, because you asked me a direct question. :)

Yes, I am saying that.

The answer is obvious: she is not.

But I do not care to debate, only because no one’s mind will be changed. :shrug: As far as I know, there is no new evidence on the subject. If one were to go only by Goldenskate, and that is all I care to go by, there are far more posters praising Eteri than critiquing her. And every single one, praise or criticism, is entitled to their opinion :yes:

I’ve already posted again more than I said I would, but in this instance I thought it was polite to do so. Now I really shall leave the subject :biggrin:

EH iwhile EG receives alot of support she is also the most criticized despised and disliked coach I can remember in figure skating. She is far from perfect lie all of us. And Eteri never should have gone public with that bit about how Zhenya wanted Alina to stay in juniors one more season. But as a coach she has a dynasty going at her club that is unprecedented in one discipline in figure skating history. It is what it is.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Just a few thoughts (my first real post on GS) from a 70-yr-old fan who loves figure skating and especially these wonderful Russan ladies skaters! What would happen if RusFed decided to send totally different teams to Euros, Jr Worlds, and Worlds this year? Maybe even to WTT, Universiade, and Youth Olympics; I'm concentrating on just the first three mentioned for now. Here is my thinking:

Who could podium at Euros (with no East Asians, Americans, other younger Russians, etc) that may not be able to podium at worlds, and are too old for Jr Worlds? Quads not necessary at all! (Trixels may be a bit of bonus for one of the skaters, one who needs that TES help.) Am thinking of how they've been scoring, both TES and PCS. How about Liza Tukt, Evgenia M, and Sofia S, since Sofia won it last year? Liza and Sophia are both Mishin's girls, but so what? Against the other European skaters, I see a potential podium sweep here.

Who could podium at Worlds? Why not go with Alina Z(who won it last year),Sasha T who has by far the highest TES potential, and Alena K? I know these are all Eteri's girls, but I feel these three can compete well against all the best of the rest of the world. They could even have a podium sweep, or close to it.

And what about Jr Worlds? Would it be so awful to put Anna S there (she's the 2nd youngest of the Eteri camp), along with Kamila V amd Ksenia S? I dunno about a podium sweep but they'd do very well!

Being 'left out' is Stansilava K, who may or may not be up to form after Russian Nati'ls, as well as Daria U and Ksenia S. I'm thinking strickly of podium potential.

What I'm trying to do is line up three entirely different' 'teams' so as to give skaters on each team a chance to podium and get much-needed world standing points.

Other international senior comps like WTT, Universiade, Youth Olympics, etc--whoever does get left out of the 'big' upcoming comps could go there.

I considered other groupings, but wanted opinions on whether or not this splitting into separate groups would even be something for RusFed to consider. Thinking that the more skaters who could walk away with medals, the better. Would ONE major medal from these comps satisfy any of them? Guess I'd like to see the medals spread around a bit if possible. Am not using spell check so if typos are found I'll correct them.

Before this gets any longer, I'll send it and see what others think.
thank you for that post allikat. It was a pleasure to read.

I’ve been wondering, after the Plushenko/Yagudin rivalry what it’s like for Mishin now seeing women all the very young phenoms overtake his more senior former wold champion. I know it’s not the same since they aren’t training together? Not meant to be critical it all. It just seemed interesting to me to think that he has such a talented and decorated skater but she is being overshadowed by the young prodigies.
The difference is sugar these girls actually like each other to a certain degree while Plushenko and Yagudin hated each other since the beginning as I understand it and aren't exactly BFFs now.

I don't think the professor likes what he sees in Liza being overtaken and I'm sure he's frustrated by it. But I think his main problem is accepting Liza's scores which are generally lower than they should be for someone with her experience and pedigree.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
thank you for that post allikat. It was a pleasure to read.

The difference is sugar these girls actually like each other to a certain degree while Plushenko and Yagudin hated each other since the beginning as I understand it and aren't exactly BFFs now.

I don't think the professor likes what he sees in Liza being overtaken and I'm sure he's frustrated by it. But I think his main problem is accepting Liza's scores which are generally lower than they should be for someone with her experience and pedigree.

I did not get the impression that Liza and Alena are friends. Of course I can’t know for sure. I just would be interested in Mishins thoughts now on the 3A after their senior debuts.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

it is less likely for them to sweep vs senior worlds, but they absolutely could. their biggest threats are Alysa and Haein, but ice is slippery. just saying it's possible.

Yes, ice is slippery. Both ways :)
But according to results in JGP Kamila and Kseniia would have need serious errors to be defeated by Alysa and at Denis Ten Memorial Daria has shown that she is more than equal to Haein Lee is she skates without a fall.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But according to results in JGP Kamila and Kseniia would have need serious errors to be defeated by Alysa and at Denis Ten Memorial Daria has shown that she is more than equal to Haein Lee is she skates without a fall.

I love Ksenia, but Alysa didn't skate completely cleanly on the JGP did she? I think if she lands everything, Alysa would certainly have at least a chance of beating clean Ksenia.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden

Yes Both Kseniia and Kamila are capable of beating Alysa but I doubt the judges will leave Alyssa off the podium unless she misses her 3As or if Daria (or whoever is the tird russian) has a quad or 3A at that point. If I where to rate the juniors now I think it would be

1. Kamilla Vaileva
2. Kseniia Sinistyna
3. Alyssa Liu
4. Daria Usasheva (if she skates clean...)
5. Haein Lee
(The other russains who might qualify if Daria isnt clean at nationals)
6-7 The two other Koreans.

Of course if one of the 3A would go (both Alena and Anna have only been once and neither has the title so not entierly out of the question) they would be undisputed no1 and the russian sweep would be much more likely imo.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Sweeping is tough. Before 2019 Worlds, a lot of us were wondering if Japan would sweep or only win two medals.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I love Ksenia, but Alysa didn't skate completely cleanly on the JGP did she? I think if she lands everything, Alysa would certainly have at least a chance of beating clean Ksenia.

If we look at better one of Alysa's two free skates, in Poland she had only -1.14 on the 3A+2T and stsq 3, so some 2-3 points missed. Well if we would add the score for SP in Lake placid, it would be close to Kseniia, but at lake Placid Alysa received significantly higher PCS than in Poland (about 1.5 point in SP and 4 points in FP). If her PCS will be closer to Poland, than clean Kseniia should win over clean Alisa. BTW Kseniia's PCS from Italy in free was 3 points higgher than in Chelyabinsk - where she fell - and 10 points higher than Alysa's PCS in Poland). But, I admit, it is in the stars what PCS Alisa will receive at JGPF.