Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU has 250 Million USD in the bank..They have plenty of money.

BTW, in addition to contacting the ISU, I would contact your local federation as well.

Could I have a citation to a source for the amount of ISU financial resources? Thank you :)

auser

Record Breaker
Well, if Russian streams are the only option left we could prepare sort of survival guide like:

figurnoje katanije - figure skating
figurist - skater
prakat - skate
trajnoj pryszok - triple jump
chetvernoj pryszok - quad jump
vraschenije - spin
daroszka shagof - step sequence
kharasho - good
plokho - bad
Zagitova, Trusova - Zagitova, Trusova
Oohh. Thank you so much samkrut:thank:. I am adding your survival guide phrases to my youtube keyword search cheat sheet file for hunting live skating streaming links. This is much appreciated.:cool::clap:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It’s Sunday October 13, 2019.
Apparently the ISU has gone back to the Dark Ages, though.
There really isn’t going to be anything for the vast majority of Europeans to watch, is there? I mean by legal, no-VPN, and no-creepy-websity means.
Unbelievable.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This season is building up to be a very exciting one, and we get to see nothing of it. I still can't believe this is really happening.:bang:

s1alker

Rinkside
Oh what a shame, for years I was using a VPN to watch Eurosport because it's far cheaper than the NBC gold package, plus you get other things I like to watch like alpine skiing and cycling (Thankfully they still have that) I will miss Simon Reed, although last few seasons there were more on the player than on the linear channels.

Guess I'm going to have to go legit and get a NBC Sports Gold package, does anyone know if they have commentary?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well, if Russian streams are the only option left we could prepare sort of survival guide like:

figurnoje katanije - figure skating
figurist - skater
prakat - skate
trajnoj pryszok - triple jump
chetvernoj pryszok - quad jump
vraschenije - spin
daroszka shagof - step sequence
kharasho - good
plokho - bad
Zagitova, Trusova - Zagitova, Trusova

Thanks Sam. Somehow I missed your response and only saw it when Auser responded.

It really does seem to be that Canadians will have to rely on our Russian friends for help this season. I think last season there was also a Korean stream that showed up from time to time. TSN will cover Skate Canada but other than that it seems like we are totally out of luck.

My favourite thing about Russian streams? The commercials. :thumbsup:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
On another forum a user got a response from Eurosport, which said that Eurosport wants to get the rights back for broadcasting figure skating next season. The person from service said Eurosport lost the battle this time to get the rights for this season.
Hope we get an official statement from ISU tomorrow on how we are going to be able to watch the GP this season.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
lost the battle

A battle implies there was an opponent. Who was the opponent? Surely whoever won the rights plans to, y'know, use it to show FS to people and try and make some money? But it's just dead silence.
It just makes me so annoyed! (I'm in the "information" business in real life, I hate not knowing stuff).

s1alker

Rinkside
On another forum a user got a response from Eurosport, which said that Eurosport wants to get the rights back for broadcasting figure skating next season. The person from service said Eurosport lost the battle this time to get the rights for this season.
Hope we get an official statement from ISU tomorrow on how we are going to be able to watch the GP this season.

I tweeted Eurosport support and here is what I got:

"Hi there. Unfortunately, this is correct. We were unable to secure the rights for this year. We hope you can still join us for our extensive coverage of winter sports over the next months!"

NaVi

Medalist
With the price raises for worlds(which I'm not sure if the ISU has anything to do with) and this media deal, I could see the ISU at some point justifying it by raising the money given to skaters... which would be nice. But one thing the ISU and those broadcasting figure skating should be doing is showing the skaters Instagram sometime during the broadcast. The more Instagram followers they have the easier it will be for them to attract sponsors and be more attractive to those putting on shows.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I just received a reply from Eurosport that they will be covering the Grand Prix events, European's, 4cc and World's. At least on the player (so it's a paid subscription, but I was already doing that).

It seems they lied. No info on player about SA at all. Obviously I've asked and complained again. I'm not paying for silly sports like snooker. I want Figure Skating. It's all so frustrating.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
All I am finding in Canada so far for SkAm is one hour on Sunday morning from NBC. Here is hoping for the perseverance of the Russian friends...

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
So, Skate America via NBC, Skate Canada via TSN... we are pretty much relying on case-by-case broadcasts for everything now, huh? This is just sad. At least with the Challengers we can get free (if occasionally poorly filmed) livestreams... god, if I were a billionaire...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
With the price raises for worlds(which I'm not sure if the ISU has anything to do with)

So the tickets for March 2020 Worlds are more expensive than usual?

I haven't been to Worlds before, but I have tickets for Worlds in Canada.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

That sounds encouraging, if they are trying to get them back for next season. However, it is very rare for broadcasting contracts to be for a single year. Unless it is for highlights packages on terrestrial channels, to meet free to air obligations when the main coverage is on a service which you have to pay for or is just plain not widely available. But, this is normally only done for popular sports, and figure skating just isn't popular enough in Europe to qualify for this treatment.

So, the customer service person may just be making something up to get you off their backs, like they have been doing for much of the past couple of months.

I tweeted Eurosport support and here is what I got:

"Hi there. Unfortunately, this is correct. We were unable to secure the rights for this year. We hope you can still join us for our extensive coverage of winter sports over the next months!"

Phew! That is good to hear. I was really starting to worry, because Infront are the promotors of all the ski sports as well. And I was concerned that this business over the figure skating may have turned relations sour between Eurosport and Infront.

But, looking at the new look Eurosport Player (which I do not like!), Alpine Skiing and Ski Jumping are both listed on the "All Sports" drop-down menu. However, I don't see any mention of Biathlon, Cross-Country Skiing or Nordic Combined Skiing. Although, let's face it, Eurosport didn't have absolutely everything listed on the old menu (only 15 sports, as opposed to the 39 they have listed now). So, maybe they're waiting until nearer the time that their seasons start. Because, it's not for a while yet. (The Ski Jumping Summer Grand Prix only finished last week, so is still on the On Demand; the Alpine Skiing World Cup starts in 2 weeks time; and the others don't start until the weekend that November ends / December starts).

At least, I hope so...

CaroLiza_fan

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I’m like 99% sure it does. I believe the language in the contract is anything that occurs on Canadian soil is CTV.

So can anyone confirm whether CTV will be broadcasting Worlds in March since it takes place on Canadian ice?

pesto

On the Ice
This is really appalling.

I am disappointed that Eurosport doesn't have it, but can understand that broadcasters need to compete for broadcast rights, and that ES may have been trying to broker a last minute deal.

But I am really quite angry that we have no idea where we can find coverage of the Grand Prix series, with less than a week to go before it starts. No information about whether a rival broadcaster has it, or if there would be a streaming option (paid or free, commentated or not).

Textbook stuff on how to kill interest in your sport, ISU.