Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So America, Canada and Russia have broadcasts now...I guess all the other countries can go jump in the ISU's opinion?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Are you guys tweeting the ISU account on Twitter? I scrolled through their tweets and replies and didn’t see any discussion there. Maybe that is a good place to get answers.

Starry Up

Rinkside
Are you guys tweeting the ISU account on Twitter? I scrolled through their tweets and replies and didn’t see any discussion there. Maybe that is a good place to get answers.

I have tweeted at them but they just didn't reply :/

Edited to add: I have also contacted them via their website, sent them messages on Facebook, messaged Insport via Twitter and screamed into the void in the hopes that they'll reply, but no such luck.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So America, Canada and Russia have broadcasts now...I guess all the other countries can go jump in the ISU's opinion?

I think we only have skate canada unless you know something I don't know.

Americans only have it if they fork out for NBCgold I think.

I have no idea how it works for Japan but Korea often had a feed that would be posted on the competition forum.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have tweeted at them but they just didn't reply :/

Edited to add: I have also contacted them via their website, sent them messages on Facebook, messaged Insport via Twitter and screamed into the void in the hopes that they'll reply, but no such luck.

Wow - I’m sorry to hear this.

I wonder if someone like Jackie Wong or Ted Barton might be able to get information from them? It might be worth a tweet to one of them asking if they aware that as of now, less than a week before SA, FS fans in Europe / Canada / Australia (?) / your country do not know who will be broadcasting/streaming the GP, ISU has not responded to your requests, and that you’d appreciate any help they can provide. As frustrating as it may be, I think keeping any tweets short and polite (not accusatory) will be most likely to get a response.

If that is unsuccessful, I am pretty sure that for almost every competition, people post links to free live streams (usually from Russia or China) in the competition threads (I don’t think GS allows them to be posted out here). It’s possible that with fewer official broadcasts, those live streams may dry up, I guess, but we don’t know that yet. And if there is no official broadcast in your country and all else fails....

FYI, if you are not already a member of the competition forums, I think it’s only $6 for a season pass (?) so it may be worthwhile joining if you can afford it.

Starry Up

Rinkside
Wow - I’m sorry to hear this.

I wonder if someone like Jackie Wong or Ted Barton might be able to get information from them? It might be worth a tweet to one of them asking if they aware that as of now, less than a week before SA, FS fans in Europe / Canada / Australia (?) / your country do not know who will be broadcasting/streaming the GP, ISU has not responded to your requests, and that you’d appreciate any help they can provide. As frustrating as it may be, I think keeping any tweets short and polite (not accusatory) will be most likely to get a response.

If that is unsuccessful, I am pretty sure that for almost every competition, people post links to free live streams (usually from Russia or China) in the competition threads (I don’t think GS allows them to be posted out here). It’s possible that with fewer official broadcasts, those live streams may dry up, I guess, but we don’t know that yet. And if there is no official broadcast in your country and all else fails....

FYI, if you are not already a member of the competition forums, I think it’s only $6 for a season pass (?) so it may be worthwhile joining if you can afford it.

I haven't asked Ted or Jackie, but I have seen some tweets that included them - if they've replied I haven't spotted it. I have kept all my messages very polite but tried to be persistent! I'm sure they'll reply eventually.... I guess they don't want to reply to people with negative posts that will come up in searches in the future.

I am a member of the competition forums, I think that the video links there will have to be my main way of watching if we don't get a reply from the ISU - UK time zones and a full time job making the livestreams difficult to use and I'm sure that a lot of peope in this thread will have similar difficulty! I'm guessing (and by guessing I mean really really hoping) that at the last second the ISU will let us know that we'll get access to the Eurovision streams...

s1alker

Rinkside
I think patience is needed. I'm certain the ISU would not leave entire geographical regions without coverage, whether it's TV or streaming. Hopefully we know in the next few days what's going on.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I haven't asked Ted or Jackie, but I have seen some tweets that included them - if they've replied I haven't spotted it. I have kept all my messages very polite but tried to be persistent! I'm sure they'll reply eventually.... I guess they don't want to reply to people with negative posts that will come up in searches in the future.

I am a member of the competition forums, I think that the video links there will have to be my main way of watching if we don't get a reply from the ISU - UK time zones and a full time job making the livestreams difficult to use and I'm sure that a lot of peope in this thread will have similar difficulty! I'm guessing (and by guessing I mean really really hoping) that at the last second the ISU will let us know that we'll get access to the Eurovision streams...

Best of luck! I do hope you’re right and that everything will work out.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think patience is needed. I'm certain the ISU would not leave entire geographical regions without coverage, whether it's TV or streaming. Hopefully we know in the next few days what's going on.

That would be 4 days before we start searching for clips of our favourites on utube, and just check the results for the rest. It’s not the end of the world, but watching a competition in a competition format does add to excitement.

NaVi

Medalist
You can tweet Ted Barton and ask him how he's planning to watch the Grand Prix.

The 4CC and Junior Worlds are always empty and they shouldn't be... if the ISU wants more money they should fix that by doing better with event location selection.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
You can tweet Ted Barton and ask him how he's planning to watch the Grand Prix.

The 4CC and Junior Worlds are always empty and they shouldn't be... if the ISU wants more money they should fix that by doing better with event location selection.

Oh crikey then all of the events will be held in Japan :eekn::palmf:

NaVi

Medalist
Oh crikey then all of the events will be held in Japan :eekn::palmf:

I would be completely OK with Japan hosting Junior Worlds permanently. It would actually make it a respectable event. I've ran in local 5k events with more spectators than has been typical for Junior worlds in this last decade.

MGstyle

Medalist
I would be completely OK with Japan hosting Junior Worlds permanently. It would actually make it a respectable event. I've ran in local 5k events with more spectators than has been typical for Junior worlds in this last decade.

I am not so sure about it, or I would hope at least. I think since Ted took on the broadcasting, plus his "fame" starting to spread out, he is doing a significant job in raising the interest in the Jr. competitions. (Myself for example... it's only been the last couple of years I started to follow Jr. Of course I have been noticing a lot of exciting up and coming talents, but Ted's effort also plays a big part.) Of course it is still not even close compared to the Sr., but it is slowly changing. IMO it would be a pity to contain the interest or potential interest only in Japan.

Tutto

Record Breaker
It's beyond ridiculous at this point I was dead sure that we would hear something today! Unless the ISU is preparing a nice surprise to us which I doubt very much... more likely things've gone horribly wrong and now they don't know how to drop the news that there will be no TV coverage in Europe at all this season

MGstyle

Medalist
It's beyond ridiculous at this point I was dead sure that we would hear something today! Unless the ISU is preparing a nice surprise to us which I doubt very much... more likely things've gone horribly wrong and now they don't know how to drop the news that there will be no TV coverage in Europe at all this season

I also suspect this is the case. Until last week everyone was promptly getting their lukewarm, vague reply saying "announcement coming shortly, please be patient" - now they apparently decided to clam up all together. The silence, IMO, speaks quite loud.

pesto

On the Ice
I really like to have a commentated broadcast.

I absolutely love to watch, but struggle with the technicalities, and need someone more knowledgeable to guide me through.

Scrambling to find a pirated stream of dubious quality for each event, with no commentary, or commentary in a language I do not understand, is likely to turn me away from figure skating.

NaVi

Medalist
I am not so sure about it, or I would hope at least. I think since Ted took on the broadcasting, plus his "fame" starting to spread out, he is doing a significant job in raising the interest in the Jr. competitions. (Myself for example... it's only been the last couple of years I started to follow Jr. Of course I have been noticing a lot of exciting up and coming talents, but Ted's effort also plays a big part.) Of course it is still not even close compared to the Sr., but it is slowly changing. IMO it would be a pity to contain the interest or potential interest only in Japan.

Ted has had a big positive impact on the sport... I might not have become a fan of the sport had Youtube not recommend I watch the JGP. But Ted's been commenting since 2014-15 season and the last Junior Worlds that had significant attendance was 2011 in South Korea which was a year after Yuna won the Olympics.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Really? When half the world is asleep and has no possibility to watch live? That would be awful and certainly will not help to grow the audience.