Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Effects of ISU's media deal - Figure Skating on CBC but not Eurosport

ruga

Final Flight
Wow wow ISU catching up with the 21st century. I hope they cut individual videos as well. Reposted ones generates millions of views sometimes, official ones should get even more publicity.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m happy but I’ll miss my Eurosport guys and gals...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
This is a relief. I'm not sure viasat got the rights for fs in the nordic countries but i'd much rather get a vpn and stream through youtube even if that's the case.

They did, for four years. (TV and Play).

Skate America and Skate Canada are up on Swedish Viasat Sport’s and Viaplay’s tables. All of it live. Haven’t checked FI, NO and DE. Don't know who is commentating.

If I got it right it costs €30/month for Viasat + Viaplay. Expensive because that includes popular sports like NHL, Premier league, NFL, Formula1….

Except for Eurosport, Swedish public service has shown Euros and Worlds since way back. They have now lost the rights to broadcast any ISU skating. Manager Åsa Edlund says they put up a decent offer but the bidding was excessive.

https://www.svt.se/sport/konstakning/svt-tappar-rattigheterna-till-skridskosport

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A cheap gadget can cast anything from your computer screen to your TV so this is basically a TV broadcast. But with this you get the full event, not just the last two groups and you don't have to worry about coverage starting late because the previous event has been extended for whatever reason. This is great.

That is actually how I have been watching streams for the past few years. Not even needing a gadget - just using an HDMI lead running from the computer to the TV. But, you are reliant on the internet letting you watch. And not everybody's internet is either fast enough or reliable enough.

And you can't record the coverage from the internet and watch later. Yes, the streams do get archived for later viewing. But in no time the music companies come along and put copyright claims on the videos, making them unavailable.

For example, the streams for each segment of the Men's competition at last week's Junior GP were zapped within 24 hours of the segment being held. The past couple of days, I have been having to watch each routine individually. And in some of the videos, there is silence during the routine, as the audio had to be muted during the routine so that the video would be viewable. And in some cases, we haven't been able to hear Ted's analysis after the routine, because the audio had to be muted due to the music that was being played in the arena in between routines.

OK, so there is nothing that can be done about programme music falling foul of the copyright police. But, I hope the ISU tells the organisers of each competition not to play music in between routines, so as to prevent videos suffering copyright claims unnecessarily.

Which brings me to something I have been wondering since this zapping started happening - why is there music played in the arena in between routines anyway? There is no real point in doing it. And similarly during the warm-ups. Do they really need to play music during the Warm-Ups? It isn't as if the skaters are practicing things to the music, because they are using different music for their routines.

If Ted Barton does end up doing the commentary, I just hope it will be different than the tone he set for JGP.

I actually agree with you there. Looking on the positive side of everything in the Junior GP's works, as he is trying to encourage young skaters. But I don't think that approach would work as well when analysing established stars.

What approach did he take when he was commentating on Canadian events last season?

CaroLiza_fan

cake

On the Ice
I´m relieved and happy with a youtube stream, but it would be nice to have information where geoblocking is in place. It can´t be that hard to give this information 3 days before the start of grand prix season :rolleye:

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Which brings me to something I have been wondering since this zapping started happening - why is there music played in the arena in between routines anyway? There is no real point in doing it. And similarly during the warm-ups. Do they really need to play music during the Warm-Ups? It isn't as if the skaters are practicing things to the music, because they are using different music for their routines.

I'm pretty sure the music during warm-ups etc. is intended for the entertainment of the audience. It would be weird for an entire arena to just sit in silence for 6 minutes and hear only the sound of the blades.
But yeah I'm now worried abot the music copyrights as well. :cry:
But the JGP videos are mostly fine though as I've noticed. There are some music problems, but most of it is fine. I hope they will upload the invidiual routines for the seniors as well.

Laure

Spectator
Here's hoping the ISU will still run their eurovisionsports website and archive full competitions there as soon as they are over. I don't believe copyright laws apply there and it would also be good for people who can't watch every competition live. That's the one issue I'm taking with this otherwise great announcement: if they only stream competitions but don't make them accessible for later viewings, many people who live in different time zones or work won't benefit from this move.

That's what was so great about Eurosport - instant accessibility of entire competitions after they were over, with and without commentary.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm pretty sure the music is intended for the entertainment of the audience.
But yeah I'm now worried abot the music copyrights as well. :cry:

Maybe it's just me, but I would like to think that the audience in the arena would be getting entertained enough from the skating to not need to have extra things in between. :p

But the JGP videos are mostly fine though as I've noticed. There are some music problems, but most of it is fine. I hope they will upload the invidiual routines for the seniors as well.

If they have any sense, they will take the same approach as they do for the Junior GP's. Archiving the streams, and cutting videos for the individual routines from them.

This would probably be a good place to bring in a conversation I had with Edwin in the Ice Star Sub-forum earlier. I'll actually start with the final post in that conversation as it is relevant to what we are now discussing here right now:

The LOC promised to keep the concluded streams up. And not playing current hit parade music or golden oldies directly into the audio channel during ice breaks certainly helps in avoiding copyright strikes, yes. Others set concluded streams to private right away and release them some time later, hoping YT copyright b.ts are asleep.

Now, onto the earlier part of the conversation:

They start a new live stream every event and after an ice resurfacing break. So keep that home page open in a separate tab and have the bell on so you'll get a notification on your device.

Thanks. I am actually going to leave now to have my dinner, but I will be playing catch-up afterwards.

And particular thanks for the warning about them switching streams during resurfacings. I would have assumed the whole segment would have been on the same stream.

Funnily enough, though, with the way that the Junior GP streams have been getting zapped, I was thinking last week that it might be better if they went off air at the resurfacing, and then returned with a new stream. To try to minimise what gets zapped. So, it is good to see that the Minsk club are trying that out.

CaroLiza_fan

I know we don't have resurfacings during segments in the Senior GP's. But, it might be worth taking this approach for the Majors.

And now for my most recent post in that thread, about something that has never happened before when I have been watching a YouTube stream, but which could become a major a problem if it persists:

I have had to abandon watching the Junior Short Dance.

When I arrived back, the event had reached the first resurfacing. So, I was able to open the archived video of the first 2 groups and then carry on from where I had left off. However, when I finished that video, the next video was still recording. And when I wound it back to the start, it would not play properly at all. It would play a couple of seconds, and then jump forward a big chunk of time (I don't know how far it was jumping at a time - perhaps 30 seconds, perhaps a minute). It was just unwatchable.

I have never seen a YouTube stream do this before when playing catch-up. And I have been playing catch-up on Junior GP streams plenty of times over the years.

So, I gave up and went back to the start of the day, and am now watching the Advanced Novice Pattern Dances, in preparation for them doing their Free Dance later on.

It would have been nice to watch Sasha & George and Angelina & Ilya in real time, but alas! :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Here's hoping it was just a one-off problem with that particular video.

CaroLiza_fan

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh no, no Eurosport? Finnish national TV has shown everything during last year, but this year they lost it to commercial TV (GPs, Euros, Worlds). I will not buy it just because of figure skating, so less figure skating this season.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do we know if the ISU YouTube channel will archive the livestreams?

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Here's hoping the ISU will still run their eurovisionsports website and archive full competitions there as soon as they are over. I don't believe copyright laws apply there and it would also be good for people who can't watch every competition live. That's the one issue I'm taking with this otherwise great announcement: if they only stream competitions but don't make them accessible for later viewings, many people who live in different time zones or work won't benefit from this move.

That's what was so great about Eurosport - instant accessibility of entire competitions after they were over, with and without commentary.

I agree, I watched almost everything last season via the archived videos on the Eurovision Sports website so I don't know how I feel about the news. If they archive the livestreams on YouTube they'll most likely get blocked (like the JGP ones), uploading individual performances means no warm-ups (which I'd like to see too). Funnily enough they finally managed to upload part 2 of the WTT gala so that website isn't dead yet I guess. :D (It wasn't available when I checked recently.)

Let's see where the YouTube livestreams will be available, all Eurovision streams were geoblocked for me despite there being no TV coverage apart from Euros and Worlds.

pearly

Record Breaker
That is actually how I have been watching streams for the past few years. Not even needing a gadget - just using an HDMI lead running from the computer to the TV. But, you are reliant on the internet letting you watch. And not everybody's internet is either fast enough or reliable enough.

And you can't record the coverage from the internet and watch later. Yes, the streams do get archived for later viewing. But in no time the music companies come along and put copyright claims on the videos, making them unavailable.

For example, the streams for each segment of the Men's competition at last week's Junior GP were zapped within 24 hours of the segment being held. The past couple of days, I have been having to watch each routine individually. And in some of the videos, there is silence during the routine, as the audio had to be muted during the routine so that the video would be viewable. And in some cases, we haven't been able to hear Ted's analysis after the routine, because the audio had to be muted due to the music that was being played in the arena in between routines.

OK, so there is nothing that can be done about programme music falling foul of the copyright police. But, I hope the ISU tells the organisers of each competition not to play music in between routines, so as to prevent videos suffering copyright claims unnecessarily.

I actually agree with you there. Looking on the positive side of everything in the Junior GP's works, as he is trying to encourage young skaters. But I don't think that approach would work as well when analysing established stars.

What approach did he take when he was commentating on Canadian events last season?

CaroLiza_fan

I prefer Chromecast to HDMI because it’s wireless and I can still use my laptop for other things (results page, ISU bios, work etc) because unlike HDMI you can choose which tab to cast. Unless of course you just extend the screen, but there’s still the wire. Just a personal preference/convenience.

As for the music during warm up, I would say this is for the sake of skaters. Most are used to warming up or skating with some music, not necessarily our own, in the background.

And finally, I highly doubt ISU will consider possible copyrights and insist or recommend that OCs use something not subject to CR. This is just based on what ISU has given us so far as well as my personal experience working with these people.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I prefer Chromecast to HDMI because it’s wireless and I can still use my laptop for other things (results page, ISU bios, work etc) because unlike HDMI you can choose which tab to cast. Unless of course you just extend the screen, but there’s still the wire. Just a personal preference/convenience.

I do extend the screen. :biggrin:

That said, the way I watch YouTube will hopefully be changing within the next week or so. Last week, the main TV gave up the ghost. I did a lot of research, and fell in love with one particular Smart TV. So, I ordered it and it arrived on Friday... but they had sent the wrong model! :mad: It turns out they didn't actually have the model I wanted, so I am now trying to arrange sending it back. I have found somewhere else advertising the model we want (for £60 more than the other place), so will order it from them once this other TV is returned.

And when the (correct) new Smart TV arrives, I can see it becoming my main way of watching YouTube. Because, as you say, it will mean being able to do other things on the computer at the same time.

As for the music during warm up, I would say this is for the sake of skaters. Most are used to warming up or skating with some music, not necessarily our own, in the background.

And finally, I highly doubt ISU will consider possible copyrights and insist or recommend that OCs use something not subject to CR. This is just based on what ISU has given us so far as well as my personal experience working with these people.

Don't worry, that was just an idea I had when trying to think of things that event organisers could maybe do to lessen the chances of videos getting zapped. I don't actually expect it to happen.

CaroLiza_fan

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This just went up on the ISU website - thanks to morquet at FSU for catching it!

The ISU is pleased to announce that all ISU Events, from the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating, ISU World Cup Speed Skating, ISU World Cup Short Track Series and ISU Championships will be live streamed on the Skating ISU YouTube Channel as of season 2019/20.

Per the announcement, the stream will be geoblocked in regions where broadcast deals have been arranged but otherwise generally available - details of any restrictions to be published before each event on the ISU site.

Nice save, ISU - just.

ETA: LOL - how many of us were waiting to pounce on any hint of news!!! :laugh:

Yes! That’s awesome! Credit is where credit due, thanks for the eleventh hour good news!

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, yes!! I was terrified when there were no upcoming FS streams on Eurovision, but Youtube livestream is as good as can be, honestly. The only thing left is to stop deleting people's uploads of programs, already. But man am I relieved...

pesto

On the Ice
I use an Amazon Firestick for youtube or ES player on my telly. That way, I can still have Golden Skate forums open on my laptop.

Firesticks are cheap to start with, and usually have a big discount for Black Friday, which is when I got mine.

pesto

On the Ice
I expect these streams to be high quality, as they are official, and for them to be at least as well presented as the JGP - some commentary, individual routines spliced out and uploaded for future watching, etc.

So, while I will certainly miss the Eurosport team, who almost feel like family by now, I am feeling much happier than I was yesterday.