2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I just watched the videos, I was very busy in the last hours...
Patrick: :party2::points: He finally skated it clean, this program is magical and I'm so happy that his good practices resulted in a good competition, and he did it in Canada!!
Ten: :clap: A bit overscored in the PCS for me, but.... what can I say? Congratulations! (I just hope this isn't a fluke)
:cry: for Hanyu and Fernandez, not a good day for Orser... The FS will be very interesting!
A note: Canada already has three small medals, how many more will come?

anothermom

Rinkside
I just want to thank Mao88 for posting links to the programs on Youtube. I don't have any other access to see them, and it's so nice and convenient to be able to click through them as I please. Hope you do the same for the ladies!

ranjake

Final Flight
I just want to thank everyone who's providing the viewing links.(sorry if this is the wrong thread to do this in). I didn't think I'd be able to view live from the US at all; and it's been a treat. I find it a travesty that I can view almost any COLLEGE game on US tv or at least the internet; but for the World Championships of Figure Skating? I'm lucky for the kindness of strangers unless I want to view a few hours on TV after the event is over :( Anyway- thank you all.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I just want to thank everyone who's providing the viewing links.(sorry if this is the wrong thread to do this in). I didn't think I'd be able to view live from the US at all; and it's been a treat. I find it a travesty that I can view almost any COLLEGE game on US tv or at least the internet; but for the World Championships of Figure Skating? I'm lucky for the kindness of strangers unless I want to view a few hours on TV after the event is over :( Anyway- thank you all.
Now I feel really lucky because the Italian National TV (RAI) is broadcasting all the competitions live (for free)! :yay:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I haven't seen this skate of his yet, but I am sure it was lovely, because he is a lovely skater.

But also stamped into my brain is the memory that he won Skate Canada by falling four times. And that is unacceptable, and I don't care what CoP rubbish you try to use to explain it, it shouldn't happen.
It would be trite and overdone to say remember COP is more than TES. And one can argue, and people will disagree, one wonders how Witt won in the past - terrible postrue, toes, garbage triples,Kostner has often scored high despite many errors, Mao underrotates and misses jumps and has been held up with great generosity, SS in pairs have made errors and gotten amazing scores - i am not sure we should pick on Patrick. Mind you it is i n the eye of the beholder. We have great skaters in Dai, Hanyu, javier and Chan - it is who does it on the night. I am happy for Joubert though. Still he does seem like a weed or pest that won't go away. I don't see him growing as a skater or artist. I am thinking show skating but I understand he wants another shot at the olympics; he just seems kind of long in the tooth or that wall paper in the background that originally was so lively and bold and now is faded and there butyou sometimes forget that it is fading and curling up on the edges though once so stylish and pretty.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Most of these programs look like crap.

The nitpickery is because the scores are such a blatant reminder of how the skating that truly moves people doesn't matter so much anymore. Chan doesn't deserve PCS that high compared to what real, inspired artistic skating should really look like. He was overall the best here, definitely, but it's hard to get that excited about it on some levels. The technical elements were solid and difficult across the board and his blade work is stunning, but the performance/choreography/interpretation? Does his skating invoke deep emotions within you, though? I can't say that it does for me. His program was okay choreographically, not great. As for the other areas, I still feel like he doesn't always move TO the music (those opening movements seem quite calculated) or bring a viewpoint into his skating that has relevance.

I believe Takahashi deserved the highest PCS. His combination spin was SO good with the music. Every single change of position actually MEANT something. His footwork was also the best in that regard. Look at how well he understands how to change tempo. Look at how he understands WHY a certain movement goes with the music and how he lives the moment and lets it run through him. Love the brackets right at the end and how they express that solitary, repetitive piano note which has come to the forefront of the melody. His body movement actually changes to match it.

Still, as hard as he tries, his program still has some unnecessary movements that are in there simply because the rules dictate them. Should Takahashi being doing that broken-leg sit spin position or that catch-foot camel position? No, he really shouldn't be. Should all of these men being trying to go onto the inside edge during their camel spin, while halfway twisting their bodies upward? Nope.

There needs to be a happy medium found between rewarding technically difficulty and rewarding the difficulty it takes to truly move to music and do something personal. Who cares if it's more subjective. I WANT to be forced to pick between Michelle Kwan and Lu Chen at 1996 Worlds. And guess what...every skater in the World would be fine with getting a Silver medal instead of a Gold, if it meant getting the kind of salaries and widespread audiences the sport used to bring.

I like Dai better than Patrick and his short better too but that is more of taste - techically and ss wise etc Patrick deserved tonite clearly to beat Dai. Its like someone wh hates country music but if iti s well done it deserves the mark despite personal preference. Spins get credit in TES sure overall as well but Dai got his credit; likewise so did Chan.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
its predetermined with that huge Gap we all know when Chan skates half decent will get generous scores, there is ZERO chance of anyone getting close to him

Chan was always a lock for Gold in 2013 Worlds

Ohh sky fly!!!! LOL Paddy still has to skate and ice is slippery. But really who else skated relatively clean with the passion, style and intensity to deserve to be higher than chan last nite or for that matter that close. Yikes Fernandez could have been lower with his problems and Ditto for Dai.

Skatebunny17

Spectator
To the people complaining about patricks GOE on jumps, have any of you even read this document explaining how GOE is given?

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3589

To get a +2 you need to cover only 4 of these points and 6 for a +3

1) unexpected / creative / difficult entry
2) clear recognizable steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element
3) varied position in the air / delay in rotation
4) good height and distance
5) good extension on landing / creative exit
6) good flow from entry to exit including jump combinations / sequences
7) effortless throughout
8) element matched to the musical structure

For the Combo of Patrick I would give: 1,2,4,5,6,8

Either way it should definitely be +2 no matter what! or 3 depending on if you though it matched the music or was difficult enough steps!

For the 3A of Patrick: 2,4,5,6,7

So that would be a +2

Stop complaining about how you think Patrick is always overscored or you hate his costume....its getting old and annoying

:cool:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks its annoying!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Dai i would have placed 3rd. He is a true dancer on the ice, such superb movements with his body, such detail and always skates like its from his heart. I know he landed his quad on 2 feet but iam disappointed this didn't place above Reynolds. I think the rest of the program should have been enough to place him a spot higher.

Reynolds, really went after it. He doesnt have the speed or power of the top skaters but does have quads and a good balanced program and good spins. I just would have placed this behind Dai. Even Joubert i prefered.

Both Dai's quad and the 3T on his combo were UR, so I think to be placed just behind Reynolds (who did two quads, mind you) was fair.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
BEST SP OF THE NIGHT BELONGS TO DENNIS TEN.

In a perfect world, the score would have been closer to 95 range. it was such a great performance and the spins are just to die for and head and shoulder above every men in competition. I hope he repeat the same performance in LP and get a medal of some color.

Paddy can pop all of his jumps and still win on his PCS. Now the exciting part is who can climb from behind to fight for silver and bronze????

Ten: Can he hold on to silver or even bronze?? LP is not his best suite. He needs to earn 170 range to hold on to medal.

Reynold: Not much to his skating beside jumps, but he has improved fully rotating his quads and has high BV.
If he skates like 4CC, Canada will go 1-2 for sure.

Taka: He needs to skate in National again to hang on to silver. But his quads and < will hurts him.

Jarvie and Hanyu: I'm sad for them. Hanyu is injured so not really surprise he struggles in SP. Both of them potentially can reach 180 when cleans, so with clean skate and a little luck, they can get on to podium. But its a tought hill to climb, but top 5 is dorable.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm content with Chan's being in first place, but BoP has put his finger on what I look for in skating and why I love Takahashi and will always root for him.

I agree with Takahashi scoring a bit higher on the PCS scale, but if he had two under rotations, and Reynolds had two quads, in the technical program, he really should be placed behind him. Again, great PCS shouldn't bail out skaters when they make mistakes. Yuzuru and Javier are lucky to still have a shot at bronze, although I think both are capable of great free skates and Denis Ten isn't known for strong frees (but I'm hoping he does with this renewed sense of skating, many kudos to Frank Carrol).

As for Chan's scores, I think the GOE is a bit too high considering the quality of his quad and axel have been executed better (like, that +3 was not merited on his quad combo, whoever that judge was), and I actually think his Take 5 program was more intricate and interesting. However this program did have better interpretation and artistry. He has incredible feet, and I love how every year he tries something unique (leaps into lunges, varieties of twizzles, stops on his toe picks or after a difficult turn), even different spins from year to year and program to program. I also noticed he's incorporated more transitions OUT of his lutz combo and axel than before. So glad he's finally got it together. The gap seems insurmountable but the free is still anyone's game, especially with Javier and Reynolds being capable of putting up huge scores.

icebeauty

On the Ice
after rewatching some programs and looking at the scores, i'm realizing that the judges have figured out how to work the system...they don't just use the PCS to hold up skaters anymore but they also use GOE too...just look, judges rarely give anything as high as a +2 to lesser-known/"not as highly ranked" skaters, they dont' earn as much from GOEs, which i think is fine b/c a lot of the time they havent' gotten to that level yet, but then look at the guys who skated in the last two groups...a lot of them got hammered on the skills they messed up on but then they also got a plethora or +2s and a few +3s too for the clean elements. And while i will concede that some of them are merited, it seems the judges have realized that giving higher GOEs (whether they are true +2 or +3 elements) will help ensure higher placement now...

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ross is boring as hell. And not good. Technique is always wonky. Why didn't we send Joshua to 4cc, have him and ross fight it out for the second spot? International judges would appreciate Joshua more.

I think he's sealed his fate for the Olympics. Next year, it would be Max and Josh/Jason for the team.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
I agree with Takahashi scoring a bit higher on the PCS scale, but if he had two under rotations, and Reynolds had two quads, in the technical program, he really should be placed behind him.

Of which one should have received an UR call too. That would have given Kevin 7.2, not 10.3 points, and overall 82.16. So claiming Daisuke should have beaten Kevin is completly valid.
I was very suprised to see Kevin got a level 4 on the steps too (same with Aaron).

CanadianSkaterGuy said:
Yuzuru and Javier are lucky to still have a shot at bronze

Some people make it sound as if Javi had a meltdown or something. He had one mistake in an otherwise strong programm. Yes, that one was a costly mistake, but I still think he was really underscored compared to some of the other guys. Shame he had to skate so early...

As much as I'm happy for Denis Ten, I didn't think he should have broken 90's. Definitly deserved second though. It will be interesting to see how he holds up in the free.
Personally, I would have had Daisuke over Kevin, though not by much. If that 4T of Kevin wasn't called, I get the feeling he can be quite optimistic about the FS. All his jumps are usually tight, but as long has he gets the credit... he might really hold on to a medal.
I'm still hoping Javier pulls up to bronze though. Last year, Yuzuru was 7th after the SP and made it happen, now I hope Javi does too!

Yuzuru hopefully will come back stronger in the LP, but even if he won't win a medal this year, worse things could have happened. Before this season, Yuzuru usually was a stronger LP skater, like when he won junior worlds (placing 3rd in the SP), was 3rd at nationals last season (placing 4th in the SP but winning the LP) or last years worlds. I'm quite curious again if he'll stick to that again and deliver his best LP of this season. 177 at the GPF with a popped 4S make it clear he would break 180. That would definitly move him up in the ranks quite much.

Congratulations to Brian and Aaron too, I liked both of them. Aaron has some very obvious weaknesses, but I like his spunk and enjoy to watch him. Hopefully he'll improve on the PCS side :)

Patrick was amazing. I don't want to nitpick the scores (though I think 95-96 would have been enough, but so what), but it's clear the title is his to lose now. Probably losing this worlds would have been the actually better position to be in regarding Sochi, but so what. Hopefully he will deliver a strong LP too, I like his LP way more than his SP!

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I think Ross Miner was lowballed. he skated well especially after Chan's fantastic skating, very difficult act.

waxel

Final Flight
Men's SP was interesting. Never been a fan of Reynolds, so wouldn't mind seeing him farther down the leaderboard. I enjoyed Dai's choreography the best (Peter Carrothers' crowing about that last step sequence was spot on). Chan's program was lovely- do agree marks were inflated- but not surprised. Hope Dai, Fernandez, Joubert--- well actually, guess I hope everyone skates well.

Does anyone think Max and Ross can pull off lucky 13? Not looking too good.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 98.37 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 91.56 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 85.16 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 84.67 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 84.17 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 83.09 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 80.76 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Max AARON (USA) - 78.20 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 75.94 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 75.73 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 73.46 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
12. Nan SONG (CHN) - 73.03 Short Program, 2nd Copy
13. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 71.20 Short Program
14. Ross MINER (USA) - 70.24 Short Program
15. Misha GE (UZB) - 68.45 Short Program
16. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 68.32 Short Program
17. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 68.05 Short Program
18. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 67.35
19. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 65.85 Short Program
20. Viktor ROMANENKOV (EST) - 65.33 Short Program
21. Viktor PFEIFER (AUT) - 64.10
22. Justus STRID (DEN) - 63.25 Short Program
23. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 62.04
24. Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR) - 61.88 Short Program
25. Maciej CIEPLUCHA (POL) - 60.96 Short Program
26. Jin Seo KIM (KOR) - 60.75 Short Program
27. Paolo BACCHINI (ITA) - 60.31 Short Program
28. Abzal RAKIMGALIEV (KAZ) - 59.14
29. Zoltan KELEMEN (ROU) - 58.24 Short Program
30. Ronald LAM (HKG) - 57.94 Short Program
31. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 57.53 Short Program
32. Kim LUCINE (MON) - 57.35
33. Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON (ITA) - 51.54 Short Program
34. Christopher CALUZA (PHI) - 49.15

let`s talk

Match Penalty
No. Both of the jumps were clearly cheated less than 1/4.
Yes. Another tech panel could have called his jumps ur. And you can never know the opposite. :p
Plu is much worse then Japanese and Canadians skaters. Plu was great long time ago but the "times they are changing":biggrin:
Times have been changing not for the best for this sport since SLC.

Plu is surely nor worse than Canadians. Actually, he was really missing at this lousy event. He and Abbot. The SP programs of this three (Plu, Abbot and Dai) are the ones that have characters. Plu with his mind blowing command of ice, confident energy and emotional charisma. Abbot's SP is a positive irony and joke. Dai is classy elegance of sophisticated philosophy. The Conqueror, the Entertainer and the Poet. All the rest were just COP machines of various levels and working conditions. Yawn. :slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Men's SP was interesting. Never been a fan of Reynolds, so wouldn't mind seeing him farther down the leaderboard. I enjoyed Dai's choreography the best (Peter Carrothers' crowing about that last step sequence was spot on). Chan's program was lovely- do agree marks were inflated- but not surprised. Hope Dai, Fernandez, Joubert--- well actually, guess I hope everyone skates well.

Does anyone think Max and Ross can pull off lucky 13? Not looking too good.

Very difficult but not impossible. Max can score 90 in TES in his FS and Ross (historically) has come back in the FS.