2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

KKonas

Medalist
Eye drops won't help against a hunchback so bad, it kills instantly. :p

Aaron may not have artistry as many would prefer, but I'm amazed Aaron can do all those quads (he has landed quad Lutzes) after two fractures on his L4 and L5 vertebrae – both sides and wearing a body cast for 4 months.

lavender

Record Breaker
Men's SP was interesting. Never been a fan of Reynolds, so wouldn't mind seeing him farther down the leaderboard. I enjoyed Dai's choreography the best (Peter Carrothers' crowing about that last step sequence was spot on). Chan's program was lovely- do agree marks were inflated- but not surprised. Hope Dai, Fernandez, Joubert--- well actually, guess I hope everyone skates well.

Does anyone think Max and Ross can pull off lucky 13? Not looking too good.

I agree. I really love Chan and Dai's short programs the best. I hope they go 1-2 and that the others (Fernandez, Hanyu move up behind them. I wouldn't mind Joubert and Denis being up there along with the top skaters.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Chan, Ten, and Dai had the best short programs, no question. Kevin was just kind of... meh. His music was fun, but he didn't bring it to life at all. I really hope he doesn't win a medal. I know that sounds terrible, but to me he is just not World podium material. There are much better skaters in this competition than Reynolds, and it'd be a shame for them to miss out on medals.

Denis Ten killed it!!!! I was in complete shock, and so was he, I think. I'm very happy for him. He's always had the beautiful skating skills and ability to perform, and this time he hit his jumps. Congrats Denis! That score was deserved! However, I don't think he'll do it again in the FS. But maybe, just maybe, his SP lead will let him hang on to a good position.

Dai was magnificent to me. Yes, I'm a loyal fan of his, but I don't think you can deny that that was a beautiful program. That footwork towards the end gave me chills. He just had the mistake on his quad, but he should be ahead of Kevin, IMO. That is a skate that I will go back and watch again and again. I really hope he can skate lights out in the free and move up to silver, at least.

Chan was incredible. It was perfect. No other word but perfection. I'm not a fan of Patrick, but it's undeniable. I think the 98 was definitely a little high, but he should obviously be the leader. I would've scored him around 95. I still don't see why judges give him so much higher PCS than they do Dai - I think they are very close in that regard.

There's no way Patrick can lose now. Second and third are stll up for grabs, but no one will be Patrick. His closest competition are Kevin and Denis, and I think both of them are likely to falter in the FS. Hanyu and Fernandez may come back with a strong FS, but they are way too far behind to win. Dai isn't completely out of it, and he could have a good free skate, but he's 14 points behind Chan. That would be some epic meltdown from Chan if he were to lose. Not happening.

I can't wait for the free skate. The battle for second and third will be very exciting!!! Go Daisuke!!!!!

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Just caught up on the results, and am choked for Yuzuru - hopefully he and Javi can bounce back with strong free programs (perhaps a medal?), but I just hope he's okay health-wise. Would love to see Dai move up into silver medal position, and am happy for Patrick and D10's great skates. Overall, crazy and unexpected results in this SP, I'm scared of the free...:slink:

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm not going to crown Chan like everyone. I love his programs this season so if he skates great then I will be glad if he won as I would be if Dai wins but with the way this season has gone :disapp: with a Max and Kevin type winning this season you just never know.

...and i too hope Javier and Hanyu bounce back.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ross is boring as hell. And not good. Technique is always wonky. Why didn't we send Joshua to 4cc, have him and ross fight it out for the second spot? International judges would appreciate Joshua more.

I think he's sealed his fate for the Olympics. Next year, it would be Max and Josh/Jason for the team.

I agree. But instead of Farris send Dornbush, who did beat Ross by a big margin at 4CC. After what happened with Kovtun sending Josh and Jason to JW was the right call, no need to pile the pressure on right now. And anyways, Dornbush actually has a decent 4t and better technique on the rest of his jumps, he can land the 4t in the SP a lot of the time whereas Ross on a good day will get the jump around in the FS, in the SP it hasn't happened yet. Jason is still new with 3a and has no quad so that's risky, Josh has a huge 3a but at this point you pretty much expect him to have a 4t splat in the FS. So unless the youngins make progress with quads I think Olympic team will be Max and Ricky, unless Lysacek comes back swinging or Jeremy gets his 4t back and doesn't headcase at Nats again.

Anyways the points are tight so there's some hope they could get 3 spots back still, but Ross's draw will not help matters any.

As for Kovtun, he is only 10 points out of 10th place. I know he has to skate 2nd but...
And also, D10 has had his fair share of meltdown FS programs...pulling a Verner at 2008 Worlds is not out of the realms of possibility for him.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Great performance by Chan. I also dont agree with those in this thread who said his score was too high. It was only 3 points higher than Hanyu has scored in many of the shorts this year, and technically it was about equal to a clean Hanyu short, but still far ahead in the presentation side where Hanyu still needs alot of improving even on a good day. It is easier to appreciate his high scores for great skates this year, when he is actually being marked down for his mistakes, rather than ignored and allowed to be given a 7-10 fall cushion on the field like the last 2 season. For once this season every score Chan has received has been about right on, and no longer the embarassment to the sport it was in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.

I am shocked by Tens skate and score but he did deserve it. Definitely the skate of his life thus far. He showed huge potential a few years back so it was nice to see. I hope he can hang on well enough in the LP to get a medal.

Reynolds has the opportunity to give Canada a 2nd medal and with how he has skated his LP this year, and how Takahashi has struggled in his this year, he has a good shot at it. Will be interesting to see how Hanyu and Fernandez can factor not being in the final flight. Barring a Joubert medal (which would stil majorly surprise me) nothing else would surprise me for places 2-5.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Ross Miner was lowballed. he skated well especially after Chan's fantastic skating, very difficult act.

Or maybe skating after Chan made his weaknesses more apparent? Sure, Ross is the 2nd ranked male skater in the US, but that's only because a bunch of guys mess up a lot. Jeremy and Richard are definitely better when they are "on", Max is a tech machine, and skaters like Farris, Brown, Johnson are starting to come into their own, if Rippon hits his jumps his skating is always well-received, etc. The fact that Ross usually beats these guys is more an issue of the rest of them being headcasey, mistake-prone, or lacking the hardest content, so it makes sense. But Ross messed up here so it's no surprise his score or placement - he's the type of skater that needs to be clean to be competitive on this stage, and he wasn't clean, so out of the top 10 he goes.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Aaron may not have artistry as many would prefer, but I'm amazed Aaron can do all those quads (he has landed quad Lutzes) after two fractures on his L4 and L5 vertebrae – both sides and wearing a body cast for 4 months.

:eek: when did Max break his back? Wow what a fighter!
And I really, really, really hope Babou holds up in the FS and doesn't do a Euros repeat :slink:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Worlds 2013: Men's SP Press Conference video

Apologies if I am repeating a link that was posted earlier in this epic thread. ;)
(I just now posted it in the YouTube videos thread for Worlds.)

Worlds 2013: Men's SP Press Conference

Patrick Chan (CAN), Denis Ten (KAZ) and Kevin Reynolds (CAN) following the Men's Short Program at the 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships.

LRK

Record Breaker
And I really, really, really hope Babou holds up in the FS and doesn't do a Euros repeat :slink:

I know! Just thinking about it... You know, I had actually almost - almost - started to relax... and then things started to go pear-shaped. A lesson for the Brian Fan. Never. Ever. Think: "Oh, this is going rather well... "

I'm trying to decide if the short was too good for the free to go well? I'm not sure if I can allow myself to believe in two good programs anymore... But I tell myself, it was a bit "cautious"... maybe that could be a saving clause? Oh, well, we'll see tomorrow...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
All I can say is I've had it with people squealing that the US got the team wrong. No, they didn't. They sent #1 and #2. No problems. If anyone else wanted to be on the team, they should have brought it at Nationals.

It's not like Russia who inexplicably sent #5 and are now paying for it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
All I can say is I've had it with people squealing that the US got the team wrong. No, they didn't. They sent #1 and #2. No problems. If anyone else wanted to be on the team, they should have brought it at Nationals.

It's not like Russia who inexplicably sent #5 and are now paying for it.

:thumbsup: I totally agree. Amused at all this "Well this person is better and if they weren't a head case/inconsistent/etc. they would be here..."

Uh, that's exactly why they aren't here.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
:thumbsup: I totally agree. Amused at all this "Well this person is better and if they weren't a head case/inconsistent/etc. they would be here..."

Uh, that's exactly why they aren't here.

We all do that, though. "If such and such got the levels, they would've beat so-and-so" has been uttered more times than I can tell is another favourite.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We all do that, though. "If such and such got the levels, they would've beat so-and-so" has been uttered more times than I can tell is another favourite.

Well, IP I've been guilty of that myself in the past, but these days I accept the results for what they are. No point of over analyzing it!

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Apologies if I am repeating a link that was posted earlier in this epic thread. ;)
(I just now posted it in the YouTube videos thread for Worlds.)

Worlds 2013: Men's SP Press Conference

Patrick Chan (CAN), Denis Ten (KAZ) and Kevin Reynolds (CAN) following the Men's Short Program at the 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships.

No Javi, Yuzuru OR Dai at the SP press conference... I'm in an alternate universe