2014-15 Japanese Nationals Ladies SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Japanese Nationals Ladies SP

robinhood

Rinkside
I didn't see underrotations in any of the programs I've watched so far....I dunno what's the point of having that type of strict controller. You would think all the women in the field underrotate their jumps. The judging is very suspect to say the least...
I hope Kanako makes the team. She's become a beautiful skater. Who is inelegible for worlds from the top 6?

chezzu

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure only Wakaba is age-ineligible, but she along with Nakashio and Nagai competed in the JGPF this year.

Lydia1703

On the Ice
I'm not an expert to tell about spin but yes, that 3F was definitely UR. Too bad because I feel like Kana's never been that smooth, she really sold the program today :cry:

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
From the looks of it the officials will be the same for the Ladies' FS tomorrow so I guess we'll have Rika as the new Champion (since she's the only who didn't get called out despite mostly everyone going clean but getting UR calls...)

taltaltel

On the Ice
This tech panel seems so draconian they could have given Midori Ito an UR. That said, on replay Kanako's flip and second 3T were definitely UR :no:

taltaltel

On the Ice
I really want to like Hongo but I really am not a fan of her spins (especially the Biellmann and the butt spin...) and her technique on the axel. She seems like a really nice girl enjoying her time on the ice however.

purpledream

On the Ice
Wow, those are some tough calls for the ladies! D: Can't expect what is going to happen at worlds really!!
And if Rika is going in as the national champion or one of the top, I can't imagine/hope the pressure won't be too hard on her!!

Actually, I was wondering for the junior ladies invited, how is it that Marin Honda and Yuna Aoki aren't here at the competition? O:
Some of the ladies that finished below them (e.g. Yura Matsuda, Mai Mihara) are here and I can't think that age should be a reason as Wakaba is only a few months older than them?
(Although I do agree that Wakaba is age-eligible for junior internationally and not Marin and Yuna).

xabia

On the Ice
I don't know what people see in Satoko - her jumps are small. Rika doesn't do it for me either. But Wakaba - that 2A flew across the ice! She was the best for me.

Lota

Record Breaker
Wow, those are some tough calls for the ladies! D: Can't expect what is going to happen at worlds really!!
And if Rika is going in as the national champion or one of the top, I can't imagine/hope the pressure won't be too hard on her!!

You know what though, I thought like that at the GPF. And while she finished last, she did a wonderful job. To me, it seems that she is very driven and mentally strong, so something tells me that she might just get herself together and not fail. Of course, she could still prove me wrong (please don't).

inskate

On the Ice
Wow, I'm really confused by some of these UR calls. o_O

I'm OK with strict calls, as long as they are fair and encourage the skaters to improve, but this event was just odd. And it's not the first confusing case of judging at Japanese Nationals this season, either - I still can't wrap my head around some of the calls at the Novice Nats (Yuna's 3L in the LP was over half a rotation short, but was called as clean, Marin's 3S-3T was clean, but got hit with an UR stick), or Junior Nats (Wakaba's and Marin's 3F were called as ! - Marin's was definitely clean, and Wakaba's was the best she did all season and while the edge was shallow, it didn't switch to outside or flat, IMHO).

At this event, Haruka's obviously underrotated 3L was called OK, but her clean 3-3 combo was called as UR ??? And Mariko's second 3T got <, while it was the first one that looked suspicious (although I wouldn't call it UR, either, it seemed within the allowed 1/4). Yura's 3T should probably get <<, but her 3L looked borderline and I'd probably wouldn't give it a <.

Some of the calls were just plain too harsh (Wakaba's 3T, Kanako's second 3T) or just uncalled for (Nitaya's 3Lz, Miyabi's 3S)... :mad:

Some of my impressions (those were written as soon as the videos popped up, so I wasn't aware of some calls until a bit later):

Miyu Nakashio - I like her choice of music and the personal touch in her spins. Her skating style reminds me of Akiko a bit! Really nice speed and height/flow/posture in her jumps. Things to improve: I'd like to see more transitions (and I hope she works on her 3Lz edge for the LP).

Yura Matsuda - what a stunning dress! I loved her choice of music, especially in the second part. Her skating has great flow and she emotes to the music (lots of improvement from the last season!). Things to improve: could use more speed in and out of her jumps and some more work on her posture.

Yuka Nagai - lovely speed, flow and interpretation of the music. Shame about the 2A, but I liked it that she laughed it off immediately and didn't let it affect the rest of her program. Love the height and ice coverage on her jumps. Things to improve: posture/core strength, the centering of her spins, plus some improved intricacy could be nice.

Rin Nitaya - another beautiful dress and nice choreography. Her 3-3 was great, and the transitions into 2A (landed with nice knee bend and good control) were very difficult. I'm not sure why she went for 3Lz in the SP, it's still obviously "e" (although there's some improvement from the previous season). Things to improve: projection to the audience (it's tango!), speed on FCSp and centering on CCoSp. And 3Lz, obviously.

Kaori Sakamoto - her jumps and spins continue to improve! Her 3-3 and 3Lz were really impressive today. I was especially impressed with 3Lz - and her most recent competition her Lutz clearly switched to the inside and I thought it would be very hard for her to improve it, because she tilted too much to the inside to maintain the outside edge. It looked a lot better today - from the angle of the replay, it didn't so much switch to the inside as to the flat, and I hope she got "!" at most... Things to improve: posture, the use of arms and facial expression. They were actually a lot better than when I saw her a few months ago, but the choice of "Dark Eyes" as her music really highlights her weaknesses in those areas (you really need to sparkle to make it work!).

Wakaba Higuchi - HOLY SPEED!!! o_O All the skaters I watched before her didn't lack in the speed department, but Wakaba was just jaw-dropping. HUGE jumps, too, and I enjoyed her posture, use of arms and projecting to the audience. Things to improve: actually, for a 13 years old junior skater, I think she's in a very good place, development-wise. The crowd certainly seemed to appreciate her skating a lot! I'd like to see some more intricate edgework, interesting music/choreo and improved spins in the future, but there's time for that. I hope she continues to work on her 3F as well; it looked better at Jr Nats, but today she bounced back to the outside edge again. I hope they really work on it during the off-season (or even before the Junior Worlds).
ETA: Even during the slow-mo replays she looks really fast! :lol:
ETA: I don't understand how her combo could get an UR, if the reports are true. It definitely didn't look 1/4 short of rotation!

Haruka Imai - I love her musicality. She's such an elegant skater. Her speed and jumps were good today as well (3L looked UR, maybe <<). Things to improve: difficult to say, as I believe her injuries are what affects the areas she could use the most improvement in (jump consistency, a better layback (she used to have an excellent Biellman spin and spirals)). I think she was quite robbed on her PCS. :(

Riona Kato - I was so concentrated on her dress and trying to decide whether I love it or I think it's tacky that I missed the first part of her skate and had to rewind it :lol: In the end, I decided that I like the desing of the dress but I don't think adding the flowers in so many colors is a good idea... They are quite distracting. I love the choice of music and choreo; a better projection to the audience is all this program needs. It's very elegant; Riona's posture is nice, her jumps are very steady with good ice coverage, her spin positions are pretty and her footwork has a lot of interesting details: a charlotte here, a lounge there, some spread eagles later on, then a great catchfoot twizzle... This could be a really stunning program if only Riona projected to the audience a bit more (and maybe improved her speed a bit). Things to improve: projection, projection, projection! Please make the audience feel they are watching a chapion, not a practice run! :) Also, 3Lz (not included in the SP, but obviously necessary in the LP).

Miyabi Oba - I don't think she's fully recovered from her injury yet, but I think she has great potential. Her jumps were huge and I didn't notice 3T and 3L were UR until I saw the slow-mo. It looked more of an undertraining that a technique issue to me. She reminds me of Miki Ando and young Shizuka, except Miyabi is more expressive. I loved her music choice. Things to improve: Rotation of the jumps, obviously. Plus, a better layback and some nicer combo position than the butt spin (it just looks so out of place in an otherwise lyrical progran :( ).

Kanako Murakami - the previous dress was stunning, this one looks... very much in TAT's taste :( Nice color combination, but who decided that a nightie + as many flowers, frills and sparkles are possible are a good idea? ^^' Also, that illusion mesh doesn't match Kanako's skin tone and seems way too loose... That aside, choreo- and interpretation-wise this is probably my favourite Phantom of the season. The step sequence was the best in this competition so far, so was the layback (perhaps next to Riona's). The speed was probably second only to Wakaba. I'm quite bummed about the score. :(

Mariko Kihara - Wow, I was surprised! She always struck me as more of a lyrical skater, it was nice to see her pull of such a fast, energetic tango. I really enjoyed it a lot! Great speed, step sequence and steps into 2A with great ice coverage. Things to improve: actually, I heard that she's retiring..? :( I hope that's just a rumour, she improved so much. if she decides to continue competing, a 3F or 3Lz in the SP would be nice...

Satoko Miyahara - gorgeous program and beautifully skated. My only issue is that the music and costume are not really a good fit for Satoko. They make her look even younger than she is - on somebody like Caro or Mao this program could look stunning, but it makes Satoko look (physically) younger than Wakaba... Her skating is quite mature, but I don't think she really gets awarded for it. I really hope Satoko has one more growth spurt in her, because I'm afraid she'll keep on being robbed in PCS due to her young looks. Her jumps could use more spring, too... Actually, her 3Lz and 3F looked pretty good here. They didn't show 3F in the replay, but I thought the edge looked clean this time. Also, I'm not sure why both 3Lz and 3T were called <... 3Lz looked OK to me, the toe-pick descended a bit too soon, but it was within 1/4 from what I could see. 3T was borderline. Things to improve: Badly in need of some additional centimeters... Right now her body seems to be 25% head, 25% feet+skating boots. Even with improved pickking technique her jumps don't look likely to get more spring until her legs grow proportional to her body.

Rika Hongo - WOW! She's improved so much since last Nationals. Yes, there are still things to improve in her skating, but seriously, go back and watch her performances from 2012 or 2013 Nationals; the difference is staggering. Kudos to coach Nagakubo. I loved Rika's speed, powerful jumps, the way she highlighted the notes in her music and projected to the audience. The growth spurt was kind to her - she went from gangly to statuesque. Things to improve: Out with the butt spin! The posture and entrances into some of the jumps still could use some polishing, but I can see that her team continues to work on those, so I won't be too nagging about that ;)

Last edited:

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
Was watching FujiTV's late night sports program Suporuto and ugh, it was so heart-breaking to see Kanako with puffy eyes as she was about to leave the venue with her bags :( I really wish she'd skate better and more unquestionably later today than how she did yesterday. :(

matcha

Medalist
Rika has improved so much, what a lovely skate!! She really enjoys the ice and her reaction was just so endearing.