2014-2015 GPF Mens Short Program 12/12 | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Mens Short Program 12/12

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Somebody above mentioned that the skating order hurt him. Apparently, skating right after Hanyu makes everyone look in 6.25 range.

That is pretty much sums it up. He set the mark early and clearly was ahead of others on a relative basis, it is the Yuna kiss of the vampire 2013 effect on the rest of the field. Hanyu did receive generous GOEs though! Amazing spirited kid! I like his POTO FS program, I hope he can kill it tomorrow!

Shocked at Javier! Shocked! Should be one of the best SP this year, PLUS skate at home!! GOSH.. the pressure!! Totally wasn't expecting that! Surprised Javier's PCS is not higher or a bit closer than Mashida consider home advantage but the 4S fall destroyed that illusion. Kovtun has always been over marked in PCS due to Russia No.1 factor, and things continued when EVERYONE pretty much hand him the gold on gold platter... total illusion though.

It seems it was agreed Russia will have the ladies, Japan will have the mens. Come on Hanyu! Win it tomorrow! Ultimate come back kid! Never underestimate Pooh power Meoima!

Meoima

Match Penalty
:laugh: Truer words. And it's unfortunate because it makes people rue the skater instead of the judges. Hanyu skated a brilliant program other than the fall and he should certainly be in the lead, but not by 7 points.
And I'm STILL pissed that Voronov had the only clean skate and yet he's in 4th, 10 points off Hanyu. :mad: And while I feel bad for Fernandez, Mura should be ahead of him IMO.
Mah watching everyone I have to say Yuzuru didn't look tense even after his fall (he did look very tense and not himself at CoC and NHK). He was kind of abandoned, not over focused like his 2 previous competitions. I do agree that the gap should be lower but overall I think Yuzuru deserves the first place in SP.

All other guys looked very tense and even though they landed their jumps I have the feeling they weren't there. Even Tatsuki. I have the feeling Tatsuki tried his best to focus but something was a bit off.

begin

Medalist
Well I think the BESp guys got it. They were saying something like there's no way Hanyu will land the 3T, so the right/smart thing to do is to go for the full rotation. Minimize the points loss for the fall. It's better than eeking out an badly landed 2T or abandoning the combo. His layout was also very smart, putting both his 3A (monster GOE) and the combo after the half.

I have no idea how 6x(-3) and 3x(-2) yields a -1.9 GOE, clearly I suck at math.

You don't suck at math lol. Repeating myself as PSA:
The GOEs are "grades". The grades themselves correspond to different numbers depending on the element (ie. +3GOE for a quad is worth more than +3GOE for a 3Lz). http://www.usfsa.org/Content/201112-S&P-SOVs.pdf

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Okay, Hanyu's SP was not the best SP of the season. Machida at SA was better (if we're talking quality--that was quality).

That being said, comparing scores across competitions isn't helpful. Especially since scores tend to rise as the season progresses (unless your name is Sergei Voronov, in which case you plummet like a stone).

And I'm STILL pissed that Voronov had the only clean skate and yet he's in 4th, 10 points off Hanyu. :mad: And while I feel bad for Fernandez, Mura should be ahead of him IMO.
I dunno... Mura was quite cruddy too. At least Javi skated with some personality.

beki

Medalist
Hanyu did pop up quickly and move right into an inspired step sequence, so in this instance it wasn't too bad for the performance, though it's not what we like to see. I wasn't surprised he went for the 3T, not as a matter of strategy, but because that seems to be his personality.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They frequently do it, didn't say I agreed with it.

Oh I understand that. It's just issues with the judging that I'm complaining about. I have nothing against Hanyu... just against the judging of an element that was botched (and not just the fall part of it), and getting -2's... while Machida has just a stepout on a much harder combo at that and gets -3's.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched Yuzuru, it was great, even with that fall, waiting for a HD video to watch carefully, lots of stuff in that program. and love that "smile" when he got up from that fall:laugh:

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
But you are coming with point that all skaters present the same quality, so then I can agree. But Hanyu clean SP quality is at 100 points, and here he got 94, not 100. By your point of view you are saying that Kovtun and Voronov for example are presenting the same quality so they should be ahead of Hanyu, isn't ?
I can definitely say that Machida has the similar quality of the program, and his jumps were better performed, just one error against 1 fall of Hanyu. But he gets more that 6 points less in TES and overall, and I need to ask WHY?

Alba

Record Breaker
That being said, comparing scores across competitions isn't helpful. Especially since scores tend to rise as the season progresses (unless your name is Sergei Voronov, in which case you plummet like a stone).

:biggrin: I'm mad about this too.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just got back from today's events. I feel so privileged to have seen this live. I couldn't care less about the details of why somebody should or shouldn't have gotten higher or lower, live skating a few meters in front of you at this level is just magical... Especially with such a lively audience. Thank you Japanese and Spanish and Russian and Canadian fans for being here too, I love the enthusiasm in the arena. It's a thrill!
Smooches to all the six guys, you were all awesome in your own ways.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I can definitely say that Machida has the similar quality of the program, and his jumps were better performed, just one error against 1 fall of Hanyu. But he gets more that 6 points less in TES and overall, and I need to ask WHY?

Spins and step sequences levels, Tatsuki also underrotated quad combo

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I know every one is mad about inflation or whatnot... but I miss Chan. :slink:

Me too... amazing skating skills, seamless jumps, smooth flow and effortless speed. I was looking forward to his improving artistry that seems to have turned into some sort classic Chan style (ever since Elegie Gala) that is more mature and sophisticated than any of the guys out here. I am curious how the judges will mark these SS next to Hanyu's because although Hanyu was over marked last year in SS, but this year he have improved.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Spins and step sequences levels, Tatsuki also underrotated quad combo

He didn't get the UR call though. IMO, the 3T was <, and the B.ESP guys said the same - maybe that is why some judges even went for -3 GOE.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I am curious how the judges will mark these SS next to Hanyu's because although Hanyu was over marked last year in SS, but this year he have improved.

I totally agree. Last year he got >9 at SS at the SP..

Scovies

Final Flight
Somebody above mentioned that the skating order hurt him. Apparently, skating right after Hanyu makes everyone look in 6.25 range.

That mark was ridiculous, but ONE judge gave Voronov a 6.25 for one aspect of PCS. On the other hand, one judge gave him a 9.00 for interpretation, which is just as silly. His performance/program was clearly polarizing to the judges, but his average marks ranged from the low- to high-7s, which seemed about right to me.

But judges are human beings, and I think it did hurt him a bit to go right after Hanyu. If Voronov had skated after Mura, for example, I think his PCS would have gotten a slight boost. Not THAT much, though.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
True, every skater's scores should reflect the performances on the night, and not what they're capable of.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait, you're serious.

Never mind.

:)

PS: Wouldn't it be a lovelier world if that were actually the case though?