2015-16 Grand Prix Final Mens Free Skate | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Mens Free Skate

jkun

Final Flight
What about something like 3A-4T? Is that even possible? xD

Plushenko once trained a 3A-4T. I believe he decided it was not worth the point and stopped training it. However, I do think there are some practice videos on youtube of him being very close to having the combo.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru skated here better than NHK, this is fancam: http://youtu.be/tVYfH8P8v6A

From this angle his jumps are huge.... no wonder those quads got +3. And from this angle the second quad toe in combo was ok for me.

Effng Sony. I really wanted to watch a fancam view of this program. Anyone has one without the music so it won't be sniped by Sony?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Using a free proxy service for youtube works wonders for me. You can just go through the countries until a video works.

It's really annoying how these companies don't seem to understand it's actually very positive press. Hear an amazing soundtrack in FS -> Wants to know more about the artist / the composer, at least for me. Would someone seriously try to watch a youtube video with all the clapping and skating sounds just as a replacement for the mp3?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Why? I'm a Yuna fan, but obviously I'm not a ultra uber Yuna fan, because I don't get why you thank the skating Gods for providing Yuzuru the Y chromosome. I mean, he is surely happy about it, being male and all and I guess his female fans who have a crush on him are also happy about it. But what has that to do with Yuna? It would be different if she was still competing, but she isn't, so ... ? :scratch3:
That said, the competition yesterday was maybe the best I've ever seen, because four skaters skated at their best, with very very good programs, all were inspirational! It's good to see that those quads have become stable for the top men, I doubted that possibility a couple of seasons ago. It's just great. :yahoo: Right know the top male skaters are better than the female skaters imho. They have better skating skills, better programs and more polish overall. This wasn't always the case.

Well because as far as I am concerned Yuna is the best balance of artistic and technical COP skater of all time regardless of gender... until Hanyu since NHK '15 that is. Now she is just the best for ladies skating of all time (for me, for others, may be some one else and they are certainly welcome to it). Had Hanyu born a woman, then this ideal would be severely challenged even had she gone into retirement. Why do you think some Michelle Kwan fans were initially hesitant, resistant and even a bit cynical about supporting Yuna Kim? I am glad I never have to be put into that situation! : Mens skating simply rocks right now, spear headed by Hanyu leading the exciting new XY generations, i don't know how they can keep it up. Patrick will always be the master, but the fact is the sport will always favour the young. With the US guys and the Russian guys coming in at worlds, it can get even more interesting. 330! Unbelievably awesome ... You like quads, there's 4 quads Jin including incredible 4lutz! You are a connoisseur of skating skills? Patrick Chan possibly best of all time. You want to see young challenger and missing Daisuke terribly? Cue Shoma Uno? You want to see hot blooded passionate heart throb with flair? Javier more than meet the quotas. You want to see COP at its absolute optimal and breaks it? Watch Hanyu. Something for every body... and of course there's the bromance between all those at the top :ghug: what is not to love?

Allright alright.... I know it is not healthy to compare, it isn't necessary and not needed to compare. Skating fans are sensitive people, but the fact is if you are really truly passionate about all the aspects of this sport, then you can't help but to compare.

Men's skating is the only reason I am still watching this sport, for women's it is more of political intrigue on how to ISU will try to to saviour and justify Sochi judging disaster with more silly scorings. The skating hasn't changed that much, infact program quality has gone worse and even more contrived, yet weirdly the scoring keep goes up up up.

Last edited:

KeyserSoze

Spectator
I was a mildly fan of skating until this long weekend, as I was seeing it alive in BCN, and well... seeing is believing. I enjoyed all the competition (and the city), but I was mesmerized by the men's competition. OS has described each style much better than me, but I was glad to feeling the athmosphere and seeing something incredible.

Cheers

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was a mildly fan of skating until this long weekend, as I was seeing it alive in BCN, and well... seeing is believing. I enjoyed all the competition (and the city), but I was mesmerized by the men's competition. OS has described each style much better than me, but I was glad to feeling the athmosphere and seeing something incredible.

Cheers

Welcome to Golden Skate. I think figure skating right now is as exciting as ever !!! Post often and post long my friend :cheer:

Leonardo

Final Flight
I think figure skating right now is as exciting as ever !!! Post often and post long my friend :cheer:

Agreed! But I want to see someone skating as well as Hanyu soon enough, because he's skating heads and shoulders above anyone else. I love a fierce competition for the gold.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Agreed! But I want to see someone skating as well as Hanyu soon enough, because he's skating heads and shoulders above anyone else. I love a fierce competition for the gold.

Well, if he skates like he skates right now I don't have problem of him taking everything, we still have emotion sitting right on the edge if he will do it again :biggrin:

Shoma is coming up, but it will be now harder and harder upping content. IT's now when it;s starting being mighty hard

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I want to say how impressed I am with Patrick's come back FS, Shoma, Javier, Boyang, these were pretty much among the best skates of their lives, and they really brought their A game at the biggest event with the highest stake and best competitors this sport has seen in ages. I thought Patrick's PCS is a little under marked relative to the field, particularly on skating skills, but it is one of those things for skating early, while not in contention. Also let's face it, subversively European/Japan judges may have been looking for an excuse for a while for a change of the guard. On top of that commercial pressure from sponsors, and competition in Europe.

As a program fully realised as a whole, I must admit I still like Patrick's FS best... but really the 2nd half of Hanyu's FS is simply spine tingling goose bumping thrillingly good. Hanyu over came his stamina issues spectacularly. I can only imagine of the amount of hard work that must have gone into it while he owned this program with some of the reckless abandonment style that made him such an attractive skater for me in the first place. Thought his score while fairly generous, it was understandable. Had Mao skated the lights out like that, I can imagine similar scoring.

I must admit, I got a little teary eyed at Hanyu's kiss and cry. So happy for him! The last time that happened... oh mann......

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Just 2013 Worlds with a subpar Kostner and a Mao who was in the midst of relearning her jumps (something Yuna could've even do to try to get a loop and fix that toe hammer on her Lutz).

It seems there have been several periods when Mao was relearning her jumps? What happened? Was she taught bad technique from her coaches or just developed bad technique habits?

AprilS

On the Ice
It seems there have been several periods when Mao was relearning her jumps? What happened? Was she taught bad technique from her coaches or just developed bad technique habits?

I find that Machiko Yamada (Mao's early main coach) doesn't really seem to fix her student's jump issues:
- Kanako's flutz and toe-hammer
- I think Shoma is the most improved, but for the longest time he had a huge flutz and leg wrap... he still looks like he has iffy technique to me, but since he's a guy it might affect him less.
- even Midori Ito didn't get rid of her leg wrap
I guess I can say that I'm not a huge fan of Yamada :laugh:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I find that Machiko Yamada (Mao's early main coach) doesn't really seem to fix her student's jump issues:
- Kanako's flutz and toe-hammer
- I think Shoma is the most improved, but for the longest time he had a huge flutz and leg wrap... he still looks like he has iffy technique to me, but since he's a guy it might affect him less.
- even Midori Ito didn't get rid of her leg wrap
I guess I can say that I'm not a huge fan of Yamada :laugh:

Isn't Mihoko kind of Shoma's main coach now?

AprilS

On the Ice
Isn't Mihoko kind of Shoma's main coach now?

I thought so, so I was going to comment on that, but his ISU page and wiki both list Yamada first soooo...? dunno?
In any case, in terms of jump technique, both Machiko Yamada and Mie Hamada's students' techniques make me :slink::gaah::hpull:

Last edited:

MiRé

Match Penalty
Just watched the men's event, and I must say, Yuzu is just spectacular!! Although Patrick is my all time favorite men skater.... I can't be bias this time....:biggrin:

Just 2013 Worlds with a subpar Kostner and a Mao who was in the midst of relearning her jumps (something Yuna could've even do to try to get a loop and fix that toe hammer on her Lutz).

:palmf: Oh please, Mao screwed up her SP so bad, and they were all of her strong jumps. UR on 3F and popped 3Lo. So really, you're just making excuses for someone's great comeback.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Just watched the men's event, and I must say, Yuzu is just spectacular!! Although Patrick is my all time favorite men skater.... I can't be bias this time....:biggrin:

:palmf: Oh please, Mao screwed up her SP so bad, and they were all of her strong jumps. UR on 3F and popped 3Lo. So really, you're just making excuses for someone's great comeback.

Oh, please.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
How about taking this exchange back to the Ladies thread?

Oh, please.