2015 Europeans Pairs Free Skate Feb 1 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Pairs Free Skate Feb 1

viennaskater

Medalist
On the other hand the lovely, albeit brief, deathly stare Ksenia gave Fedor was nearing Barbara proportions! :popcorn::shocked: Lovely television!

Well, I wouldn't call it 'lovely'. I didn't like Stolbova before, I like her even less now.

turgon97

On the Ice
Don't be mean. It could happen to anyone. Even Trankov did it last year.

My apologies if it was construed as mean; that certainly wasnt my intention. I just found the error and the ensuing reaction from Stolbova both surprising and fun.

I love that pairing- Fedor in particular since he's such a sweetie and provides a great counterpoint to the indomitable Ksenia- and contrary to general thoughts in GS, I really enjoy their FS packaging- the way the music changes when they go into their sbs toeloop combos in particular.

Last edited:

turgon97

On the Ice
Well, I wouldn't call it 'lovely'. I didn't like Stolbova before, I like her even less now.

I do! We cant have everyone behave the same and be all politically correct. Competitions in any sport gets boring that way. I prefer my skaters (and athletes in general) nice and pleasant and likable, but we all need some spice to keep things interesting. That way, we can better appreciate the personas we like and relate to better. I think that's why the polarizing Ashley Wagner draws so much attention- both good and bad.

viennaskater

Medalist
I do! We cant have everyone behave the same and be all politically correct. Competitions in any sport gets boring that way. I prefer my skaters (and athletes in general) nice and pleasant and likable, but we all need some spice to keep things interesting. That way, we can better appreciate the personas we like and relate to better. I think that's why the polarizing Ashley Wagner draws so much attention- both good and bad.

I see your point. However, although I didn't see the medal ceremony, from what I have read here, she still had a sh**y attitude. It's one thing to react badly after a mistake, and quite another to STILL be like that afterwards, not wanting to pose for photos etc. It's rude and disrespectful to everyone.

I remember years ago when Surya Bonaly ripped off her bronze medal in a fit of pique, because she thought she 'should have won'. Disgusting behaviour!

turgon97

On the Ice
I see your point. However, although I didn't see the medal ceremony, from what I have read here, she still had a sh**y attitude. It's one thing to react badly after a mistake, and quite another to STILL be like that afterwards, not wanting to pose for photos etc. It's rude and disrespectful to everyone.

I remember years ago when Surya Bonaly ripped off her bronze medal in a fit of pique, because she thought she 'should have won'. Disgusting behaviour!

I get that. Though the main difference between Stolbova and Surya is that Stolbova is more rational in thought- she was mad at the mistake and I guess it's her default personality to stew and vent about an opportunity that slipped right through her fingers (lord knows I get that way sometimes). I dont condone her prolonging the stank attitude and I see how people get rubbed the wrong way when they see it. I think people (most anyway) have some degree of empathy- they put themselves in Fedor's shoes and share in his and the audience's discomfort.

In regards to Surya, she was just seriously crazy. No one in their right mind would reward her grossly telegraphed jumps, bunny hops, and relatively poor skating skills gold medals. Im sure she believed she deserved them all, but there is a difference between self entitlement and being upset at yourself.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^Some people still say Surya was robbed many times because she's black. :p I disagree with them, though.

turgon97

On the Ice
^Some people still say Surya was robbed many times because she's black. :p I disagree with them, though.

You should read the funny delusions people write in the youtube vids showing her blackflip into triple sal.

viennaskater

Medalist
In regards to Surya, she was just seriously crazy. No one in their right mind would reward her grossly telegraphed jumps, bunny hops, and relatively poor skating skills gold medals. Im sure she believed she deserved them all, but there is a difference between self entitlement and being upset at yourself.

She apparently loved to skate but yes, she was never what you would call a 'complete' skater because she never possessed a natural artistic ability, even though she did try.

After a total of *five!* European Championship wins, I guess she really did feel entitled to World gold. My bad, it was the SILVER, in 1994, which she tore off in disgust.

TMC

Record Breaker
A very lengthy clip from Swedish TV about Sotlbova's breakdown backstage. I have no idea what they are saying.
https://twitter.com/TV4Sport/status/561879763866763268

This is the clip I mentioned earlier, thanks for posting!

The tweet: "Ksenia Stolbova refused photographs after the disappointing fall that cost the Russian pair the gold"

They're talking about how dramatic the final was, that S/K were the favourites to win but crumbled under the pressure, that right now she's sitting in the corner and crying. They talk about what a freak mistake the fall was. Another commentator then talks about how they're trying to get her to come out for the official photographs but she refuses, and he talks about the various negative feelings she must be going through and how hard it is to get in front of the camera and smile, all the time knowing that that picture is always going to remind one of what just happened on the ice. He says that her coach is with her trying to comfort her, but at this moment she is completely inconsolable. Then they move on to talk about how both Radionova and Tuk were flawless and Radionova ended in 2nd place but was still smiling.

If I got something wrong please correct; Swedish is not my first language :)

turgon97

On the Ice
She apparently loved to skate but yes, she was never what you would call a 'complete' skater because she never possessed a natural artistic ability, even though she did try.

After a total of *five!* European Championship wins, I guess she really did feel entitled to World gold. My bad, it was the SILVER, in 1994, which she tore off in disgust.

I think I loved her more in the '94 olympics and that primal yell she released in her program after the surprise fall that, in her mind, lost her the gold medal there.

elif

Medalist
A very lengthy clip from Swedish TV about Sotlbova's breakdown backstage. I have no idea what they are saying.
https://twitter.com/TV4Sport/status/561879763866763268

Bonus, same channel having a good laugh at Kilmov's fall. Also some new footage in KandC.
https://twitter.com/TV4Sport/status/561869320293085185

Stolbova looks like a sulking child there. :disapp: You would think she was perfect and Klimov had a meltdown. In reality it was just an accident which can happen her in future. Klimov must be really patient men to endure this kind of behavior from her. :disapp:

I'm really trying to feel empathy for her but I can't. I have seen many greater skaters who lost greater titles than Europeans. They were also very competitive skaters but never behaved disrespectful. :disapp:

TMC

Record Breaker
Don't speak Swedish, but it kind of sounded like an unbelieving laugh. You know, that alarmed convulsed laughter when you can't believe what you saw and are stunned for words.

You mean like the ESP guys during Charlie's disaster skate at Rostelecom 2009?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
You should read the funny delusions people write in the youtube vids showing her blackflip into triple sal.
It was a good trick though.
But you're right of course and I think Surya won far too many medals anyway. I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago where Frank Carroll said (Surya was training with him at one point) that she was talented, but that her mother thought nothing of training basic skating skills and that she left after a couple of weeks. The mother was crazy and stupid and Surya obviously believed everything she said.

I think you cannot compare Ksenias behaviour to Suryas. Surya felt robbed and was mad at the judges. Ksenia was obviously mad but I don't think she was mad at Fedor, she was unhappy with the whole situation in general. Like a kid with a cone of icecream when it drops the cone. You can't blame anyone, but you're still really mad. And I think she knew that her behaviour at that moment was very childish and then she was probably mad at herself for feeling the way she felt etc..

turgon97

On the Ice
It was a good trick though.
But you're right of course and I think Surya won far too many medals anyway. I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago where Frank Carroll said (Surya was training with him at one point) that she was talented, but that her mother thought nothing of training basic skating skills and that she left after a couple of weeks. The mother was crazy and stupid and Surya obviously believed everything she said.

I think you cannot compare Ksenias behaviour to Suryas. Surya felt robbed and was mad at the judges. Ksenia was obviously mad but I don't think she was mad at Fedor, she was unhappy with the whole situation in general. Like a kid with a cone of icecream when it drops the cone. You can't blame anyone, but you're still really mad. And I think she knew that her behaviour at that moment was very childish and then she was probably mad at herself for feeling the way she felt etc..

True. But I'd prefer being mad at myself for having something desired slip through my fingers like sand because of an error that no one could foresee.
Surya on the other hand, blamed everyone but herself for not being able to obtain the titles she was looking for.