2015 Europeans Pairs Free Skate Feb 1 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Pairs Free Skate Feb 1

turgon97

On the Ice
While on paper it seems like that a 3T+3T(seq) and 2A is harder than a 3T+2T+2T and 2A, the latter is actually worth more with sequences at 80%. :rolleye: So, points-wise, S/K actually have harder SBS elements than K/S.

Maybe we should tell that to Yuko. That way, we wont need to be biting our nails and having anxiety attacks every time they go into that sequence :laugh2:

But I feel judges subconsciously reward better PCS when skaters execute physically harder elements, compared to elements that are just worth more because of a point technicality. Anyway, the triple toe/triple toe sequence is far more impressive in a viewer's perspective.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
True. But I'd prefer being mad at myself for having something desired slip through my fingers like sand because of an error that no one could foresee.
Surya on the other hand, blamed everyone but herself for not being able to obtain the titles she was looking for.
Exactly. And she could have been great figure skater, but all she wanted to be was a jumper on ice. And she wanted to win, but she didn't accept the rules of the sport. And when you don't respect the rules you also don't respect your opponents.
I didn't see anything of that attitude in Ksenias behaviour.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Maybe we should tell that to Yuko. That way, we wont need to be biting our nails and having anxiety attacks every time they go into that sequence :laugh2:

But I feel judges subconsciously reward better PCS when skaters execute physically harder elements, compared to elements that are just worth more because of a point technicality. Anyway, the triple toe/triple toe sequence is far more impressive in a viewer's perspective.
Yeah, it has always bothered me that a sequence of two triples is worth less points than a 3-2-2 :scratch:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While on paper it seems like that a 3T+3T(seq) and 2A is harder than a 3T+2T+2T and 2A, the latter is actually worth more with sequences at 80%. :rolleye: So, points-wise, S/K actually have harder SBS elements than K/S.
Right. My bad. Honestly, I'm not a fan of sequences in singles, but in pairs it could look very impressive if they keep the synchronization through the whole thing (a la Gordeeva/Grinkov).

Nonetheless, K/S have a freaking throw 4S, so I still think they should match or surpass S/K if both go clean.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Or I would suggest doing a 2A 2T 2T better yet 2L and 3T - it is worth the same as 3T 2T2t and 2A. Usually the 2A is easier for skaters so the combo would be easier but worth overall the same points.

susanf

Rinkside
Stolbova looks like a sulking child there. :disapp: You would think she was perfect and Klimov had a meltdown. In reality it was just an accident which can happen her in future. Klimov must be really patient men to endure this kind of behavior from her. :disapp:

I'm really trying to feel empathy for her but I can't. I have seen many greater skaters who lost greater titles than Europeans. They were also very competitive skaters but never behaved disrespectful. :disapp:

I vividly remember Michelle Kwan's reaction at the end of her Free Skate in Salt Lake City----after breaking from her ending pose, she gave a little shrug, and a smile. That to me, is pure class.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Blah Blah Blah. Stolbova is headstrong. Not everyone is going to act the way you want or expect them. Get over it. Looks like she has.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I swear she just reminds me of Lilith from Cheers. In more ways than one...

This isn't quite the coronation they thought it would be...

I wasn't sure who she reminded me of ... BUT I DO NOW. Going to watch all the episodes of Frasier now that Bebe Neuwirth guest starred on ...

anyanka

Record Breaker
A very lengthy clip from Swedish TV about Sotlbova's breakdown backstage. I have no idea what they are saying.
https://twitter.com/TV4Sport/status/561879763866763268

Now I just feel bad for her. :(
Mind you, her reaction and demeanor towards Fedor was not cool when he fell, but what does one expect? It happened, she was shocked and angry, it was right at the moment of impact.
That being said, their relationship is different. When V/T went down on the final death spiral at 2012W Tania was really supportive and sweet, but not everyone has that same reaction.
S/K likely have a different working dynamic.
Not trying to excuse Ksenia, just trying to put some perspective on it ...
She must have felt like that guy who had the winning lotto ticket in Quebec but the ticket printed 7 seconds past the deadline, and the court ruled that he did NOT win the jackpot, due to something at the very last moment that let the big prize slip away.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I vividly remember Michelle Kwan's reaction at the end of her Free Skate in Salt Lake City----after breaking from her ending pose, she gave a little shrug, and a smile. That to me, is pure class.

Or Mao in her Sochi SP sitting stoically taking it all in when she knew her dream of OGM was completely gone. Mao still took it on the chin and even when the national head of sport blasted her publicly in a press conference for the entire country to see, she still went out the next night and delivered the performance of her life.

anyanka

Record Breaker
She apparently loved to skate but yes, she was never what you would call a 'complete' skater because she never possessed a natural artistic ability, even though she did try.

After a total of *five!* European Championship wins, I guess she really did feel entitled to World gold. My bad, it was the SILVER, in 1994, which she tore off in disgust.

Still the all-time champion for most disgusting behavior from a figure skater in competition, at least on the major levels. At least Plushy waited until after he stepped off the ice in Vancouver before he removed his. That being said that fight at the end of the Super Bowl yesterday was pretty awful too ...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They got a silver medal I wouldn't exactly say that was horrible. And even with the throw triple sal it may not have been enough to win gold still.

Meoima

Match Penalty
They got a silver medal I wouldn't exactly say that was horrible. And even with the throw triple sal it may not have been enough to win gold still.
For sure had they completed that throw 3S they would get the gold. the point from that 3S might be enough for them. And K/S made a mistake in the last lift.
Anyways they're young and they will have many chances ahead so I don't think of this as unfortunate at all. No need to be so harsh on herself and her partner.
K/S might retire after this season so I am thrilled for them. They have endured so much. And their programs are so beautiful.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Or Mao in her Sochi SP sitting stoically taking it all in when she knew her dream of OGM was completely gone. Mao still took it on the chin and even when the national head of sport blasted her publicly in a press conference for the entire country to see, she still went out the next night and delivered the performance of her life.

And created one of THE "moments" of the entire Sochi Olympics.

Again, the most memorable moments aren't always the medal-winning ones.

Enjoy the Frasier eps, Anyanka. And revel in just how uncanny that resemblance is... LOL!

Kinga

Medalist
They received 6.5 points for their 3STh at GPF. The judges love it. They were 6.56 points behind first overall. Their PCS would have been higher without that awful end to the program, too. No question they would have won if they had done it.

For sure had they completed that throw 3S they would get the gold. the point from that 3S might be enough for them. And K/S made a mistake in the last lift.

And that would not be right. K/S had a mistake on the lift, but S/K had huge step out on the 3ThF, their lifts were shaky on that day, plus Ksenia skated like she was there alone. K/S performed Th4S (!!) and 3T 3T (ok, I know that the point wise is not more than 3T-2T-2T, but still). So in my mind K/S would be the rightful winners (even if it had been close), especially that their LP is a better program in terms of choreo, PE, interpretation and transitions. I guess we will never know (thank gawd :yes:).

whatif

Medalist
Well, we don't really know how would K/S have skated if S/K did not trip on that ice, do we? They could have bombed again or may not have made any mistakes.
Should, coulda, woulda, now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Anyways they're young and they will have many chances ahead so I don't think of this as unfortunate at all. No need to be so harsh on herself and her partner.
K/S might retire after this season so I am thrilled for them. They have endured so much. And their programs are so beautiful.

I agree. I kind of hope K and S win world's and retire on a nice note. Then I am bit of a wishy washy person because it would be cool to see Pang and Tong win in China as well as seeing S and K win gold after being second often in the last year or seeing the much trash talked Duhamel and Radford win gold.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Right. My bad. Honestly, I'm not a fan of sequences in singles, but in pairs it could look very impressive if they keep the synchronization through the whole thing (a la Gordeeva/Grinkov).

That's the thing though - in pairs a sequence should actually be getting a bonus (or at least not a 20% deduction) considering the added difficulty to keep the sequence in unison.