2015 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate Feb 15 Seoul Time | Page 69 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate Feb 15 Seoul Time

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I do love her! But it's hard to overlook her awful jump technique and at this competition it was really glaring. I think her program has gotten worse too, with the way they changed the jump order around.

Are you sure it wasn't a result of her thinking of her feet instead of a planned change? I think Satoko is better at thinking on her feet than say, Nobu and Kanako are.

I don't think she meant to do two 2A+3T in her programs--it might have been a result of her missing the first 3Lz+3T combo and then fudging her second 3Lz. Instead of doing a solo 3T like she did at NHK Trophy or a solo 2A like she did at Skate Canada, she ended the program with a 2A+3T. So perhaps whatever last jump she does is determined by the preceding jumps in her program.

I think she turned her first jumping pass into a 3-2-2 because she was hoping to add that 3T somewhere else (like in a second 2A+3T as she did) so she'd get points. Otherwise, she would have opened with a 3-2, and then her second 3Lz would have been a 3-2-2 and resulted in a loss of points.

[3Lz+2T, 3Lz+2T+2Lo, 2A] versus [3Lz+2T+2Lo, 3Lz, 2A+3T]

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yeah they changed it hoping to get less underrotation calls, but that 2A-3T at the end of the program is NOT around and it just hinders the flow and musicality of the the final solo 2A that she used to have there. Plus she now opens the program with a 3-jump combo that comes to a complete standstill. The lack of flow out on this combo was formerly "fine" on the second Lutz of her program, because the music is transitioning into a slower section, but to open the program with it leaves a very uninspiring picture.

slider11

Medalist
I think the US has a decent chance of at least 2 of the 3 ladies landing in the top 10 - maybe all 3. I believe the added ranking total of 13 for two of them is the magic number you have to reach to send 3 next year? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I could see any combination of Ashley, Gracie and Polina falling in that equation. Hard to say who and in what order. That's for another thread.

Gracie twitter in the last day states that courage is taking on tomorrow with conviction to do better - something like that. I like that attitude. She is acknowledging that she screwed up but isn't put forth a lot of excuses or being overly dramatic. That's one of the things I like about Gracie. I know she's got the "beauty queen" image but I do think she has a quiet sense of determination to excel.
I am worried about the third spot, too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the US has a decent chance of at least 2 of the 3 ladies landing in the top 10 - maybe all 3. I believe the added ranking total of 13 for two of them is the magic number you have to reach to send 3 next year? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I could see any combination of Ashley, Gracie and Polina falling in that equation. Hard to say who and in what order. That's for another thread.

Gracie twitter in the last day states that courage is taking on tomorrow with conviction to do better - something like that. I like that attitude. She is acknowledging that she screwed up but isn't put forth a lot of excuses or being overly dramatic. That's one of the things I like about Gracie. I know she's got the "beauty queen" image but I do think she has a quiet sense of determination to excel.

It's clear to me she is a perfectionist. As much as she's getting ripped on here, the person who is hardest on Gracie is probably herself.

I'm not that worried about three spots. Don't want to jinx our ladies, but they basically have it by finishing 6th and 7th. I think all the ladies can do that, and I think (hope) that one can finish even higher than that.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Have some faith and confidence. all three americans are capable easily of being in the top ten; all three could podium though probably not all at once and gold might be harder right now but it just takes two hot skates and some problems with the Russians and USA is back on top. Ice is slippery. Of course, on the flip side, Polina goes back to the way she skated at the beginning of the season and the "world ends" when a unknown Canadian beats her lol.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a feeling that Gracie is going to turn herself around for worlds and deliver on her promise. If she had to royally screw up, it's better she did at 4CC's then Worlds. She is totally capable and just has to get herself in the right mindset. I hope Frank is giving her the support she needs to get her there.

And I'm not really a huge Gracie fan either or of her programs this year, but I am pulling for her now b/c I know she has the goods - I saw her practice video, and other than a fall on a flip jump she looked so confident and delivered her combo jumps beautifully.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a feeling that Gracie is going to turn herself around for worlds and deliver on her promise. If she had to royally screw up, it's better she did at 4CC's then Worlds. She is totally capable and just has to get herself in the right mindset. I hope Frank is giving her the support she needs to get her there.

And I'm not really a huge Gracie fan either or of her programs this year, but I am pulling for her now b/c I know she has the goods - I saw her practice video, and other than a fall on a flip jump she looked so confident and delivered her combo jumps beautifully.
Gracie always looks great in practice and confident too. But when it's time to compete she freezes up. It doesn't seem whatever help she's been given to control her neves has helped and in fact she seems to be getting worse.

Last edited:

JayW

Final Flight

I have the same feeling that she is going to put up a great skate in WC and WOW the whole world!

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
It occurs to me that all the top 3 ladies have that "better to come from behind"; don't put too much on me as the front runner mind set. Ashley was suppose to be great at the Nationals in 2014 and squeezed into 4th. Gracie was the favorite this year and slid into second. Polina was the ingenue in 2014 but couldn't keep top 3 at this year's Nationals. Lucky for her Karen Chen is too young for Worlds and was sent to Junior Worlds so Polina got 4CC and Worlds. Pressure off and bam - she's the winner at 4CC. Now, really none of the US ladies are strong podium contenders in my mind although one could make it. The Russian gals are the front runners with one or more Japanese lady close behind. I can't see all 3 Russians choking but 1 or 2 might along with the Japanese. That would open the door for Grashlina (get it - Gracie/Ashley/Polina) We won't know the true identity until late March!!

peg

Medalist
It occurs to me that all the top 3 ladies have that "better to come from behind"; don't put too much on me as the front runner mind set. Ashley was suppose to be great at the Nationals in 2014 and squeezed into 4th. Gracie was the favorite this year and slid into second. Polina was the ingenue in 2014 but couldn't keep top 3 at this year's Nationals. Lucky for her Karen Chen is too young for Worlds and was sent to Junior Worlds so Polina got 4CC and Worlds. Pressure off and bam - she's the winner at 4CC. Now, really none of the US ladies are strong podium contenders in my mind although one could make it. The Russian gals are the front runners with one or more Japanese lady close behind. I can't see all 3 Russians choking but 1 or 2 might along with the Japanese. That would open the door for Grashlina (get it - Gracie/Ashley/Polina) We won't know the true identity until late March!!

I think both Gracie and Ashley have a better shot at he podium than the Japanese girls do at this point. Sure, Gracie had a disaster at 4CC and got beaten by both Satoko and Rika, but that required a real meltdown on her part. Had she skated with her usual one or two more minor mistakes, she would have had at least silver. I'm not a huge Gracie fan, but her power and polish give her a bit of a cushion over the Japanese girls in both TES and PCS.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Gracie has the most natural skating talent of any lady on the world scene. Her movement across the ice is like a dream. Spins and jumps? Absolutely spectacular!!!! But that's not all it takes..... She must summon the strength and inner purpose (self-confidence) to realize that formidable talent. I'm sure Frank and company have repeated similar words to her, ad infinitum but I'm convinced that she has to be able to apply them in these big, tension-packed events. I pray that she realizes the full potential of her tremendous gift!

Barb

Record Breaker
Midori Ito didn't look as pretty as many other her rivals when she was competing, but I hardly remember people critizied her. I think it's simply because she did big tricks, huge jumps that might even be better than many men in her days. Personally I doubt that people critize Satoko because they think she doesn't look pretty enough. Let's say, I don't think the Shibs have captivating looks either but I still root for them.

I guess the problem with Satoko is that her jumps are really really small, and her frame is so small as well, thus limit the projection of her refined movements and detailed choreography. My friend was among the audience and he said he loved her LP very much, but it's true that he also said: "From the afar it's really hard to see when she did a jump". If she jumped like... Karen Chen, I think people would criticize her less.

Everyone know she developed anorexia, for some reason :rolleye: she thought she was not enough pretty and graceful like other girls. And you said it, Midori had to be EXTRAORDINARY, the typical figure skaters are average but Midori had to be EXTRAORDINARY to people and judges dont critize her and even like that she got critics.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Gracie has the most natural skating talent of any lady on the world scene. Her movement across the ice is like a dream. Spins and jumps? Absolutely spectacular!!!! But that's not all it takes..... She must summon the strength and inner purpose (self-confidence) to realize that formidable talent. I'm sure Frank and company have repeated similar words to her, ad infinitum but I'm convinced that she has to be able to apply them in these big, tension-packed events. I pray that she realizes the full potential of her tremendous gift!

I feel that it might be time to look for a new choreographer. Lori, as legendary as she is (and I have full respect for her work), might not be the right one for Gracie.

On the TSL recap, they suggested to make a complete change- i think they talked about someone who was very positive and nurturing.
She has great jump technique (minus that flip) but it seems like she has not been packaged correctly. I want and she probably wants to bring out the sass in her.

jkun

Final Flight
Just rewatched Satoko's performance. I liked her program, but I really do think her jumps are problematic to her skating. People are talking about how they don't like her jumps or her because they are small. People who like Satoko are arguing against that by saying that jumps aren't everything.

From what I rewatched and especially BEsp replays, she's not even really doing triples. It's not that her jumps are small, it's that her jumps are so small she is not even really doing the ~3 rotations in the air. I have no problem with slight pre-rotation and I know its certainly expected on certain jumps. However, when I start seeing huge prerotation on the toe jumps is where I really think there is a problem.

For example: her Lutz take off: she pre-rotates 1/2 a rotation on the toe, then actually proceeds to flatten the toe-pick leg until it reaches the entire edge, then pushes off of that. In her sp, her 3T was also a toe-axel and was rotated 1/2 rotation on ice then URed by 1/2. I don't know how she got credit for that.
Her flip: Again, pre-rotates 1/2+ a rotation on the toe.

For toe jumps I think this is way too much pre-rotation...

It's not that her jumps are small that is the problem. The problem is she can't even do the jumps but is getting credit for it. At least with other "small" jumpers like Yulia, no one could deny she was getting the rotations. Except for the flip, I guess, Yulia also has a lot of pre-rotation on that jump..

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Everyone know she developed anorexia, for some reason :rolleye: she thought she was not enough pretty and graceful like other girls. And you said it, Midori had to be EXTRAORDINARY, the typical figure skaters are average but Midori had to be EXTRAORDINARY to people and judges dont critize her and even like that she got critics.
I remember that in Japan in her days there were some criticism but nevertheless no one can deny her talent. I think as of now people still remember Midori as an extraordinary jumper and that is fair for whatever everything she did in the past. Had Midori looked pretty like Yamaguchi or Yuka Sato, but with subpar jumping ability, do you think people would remember her? I'm sure it's a no. To be remembered and recognized, you have to be extraordinary. That's true for all skaters.
Satoko has refined movements and details, her SS, body language and musicality is noticeable. But for now I don't think we can say that's she's extraordinary. It has nothing to do with her face, but more about her jumps. Her small frame is a handicap which limits her projection, unfair or not it's true that you have to do BIG to make people notice you.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

I didn´t knew Ito had anorexia.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
It's not that her jumps are small that is the problem. The problem is she can't even do the jumps but is getting credit for it. At least with other "small" jumpers like Yulia, no one could deny she was getting the rotations. Except for the flip, I guess, Yulia also has a lot of pre-rotation on that jump..
True, there is a reason why Satoko's jump is so small whereas small girls of similar frame can jump much bigger than her. it is technical.