2015 Four Continents Videos and Results Discussion | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Videos and Results Discussion

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That video was funny of the K&C. Did they have someone standing off camera telling them to sit down?

The song reminds me of Alena's wonderful SP this season - one of my faves.

The ISU needs reforming, lol.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is my "final wrap up", or if you're familiar with my videos I just call them remixes, of the 4CC's. I used a bunch of suggestions from a thread I created about everyones favorite moments. Thank you Sabinfire:yes: I used your videos primarily. Oh that 720p quality is awesome!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1quArl_lw-0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Sabinfire

Is it cool that I used your videos exclusively to make my remix of 4CC? I went to your channel and found 720p galore :love: I know you have been bumming on people uploading some of your videos but not sure if I fall into that category.

I gave you credit in the description.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
@Sabinfire

Is it cool that I used your videos exclusively to make my remix of 4CC? I went to your channel and found 720p galore :love: I know you have been bumming on people uploading some of your videos but not sure if I fall into that category.

I gave you credit in the description.

It's fine, and thanks for the credit, and honored you used my videos exclusively. :) I have no issues at all with your video(s) and appreciate another fellow video editor putting work into content here. And I think it is assumed that most people would consider mini-clips to be "fair use", even without giving specific credit. (TSL does this, for example.)

There's even a YouTube user out there that re-ups lots of videos from various sources (including mine) and just records his own amateur commentary over the top of it, without giving any credit to the source he pulled from. Might be a bit questionable, but I can see what he's trying to do and it doesn't bother me all that much, because his intent isn't to take credit for someone else's work.

It's just the straight rip of a full video from my YouTube channel to someone else's YouTube channel that irks me. It makes little sense to me.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It's fine, and thanks for the credit, and honored you used my videos exclusively. :) I have no issues at all with your video(s) and appreciate another fellow video editor putting work into content here. And I think it is assumed that most people would consider mini-clips to be "fair use", even without giving specific credit. (TSL does this, for example.)

There's even a YouTube user out there that re-ups lots of videos from various sources (including mine) and just records his own amateur commentary over the top of it, without giving any credit to the source he pulled from. Might be a bit questionable, but I can see what he's trying to do and it doesn't bother me all that much, because his intent isn't to take credit for someone else's work.

It's just the straight rip of a full video from my YouTube channel to someone else's YouTube channel that irks me. It makes little sense to me.

Actually your watermark was visible during their 4CCs recap.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Actually your watermark was visible during their 4CCs recap.

They've been using some of my videos for the past few recaps (Europeans, U.S. Nationals, etc.)

I'm a bit mystified over how TSL chooses their skating videos in the recaps though. I have a ton of videos in 720/1080HD in english commentary (or no commentary), and they will use a couple of my HQ videos while narrating... and then suddenly they throw in a cruddy 480 SD recording with foreign commentary, despite there being better quality sources out there of the same program, even right on my own YouTube channel. But, TSL videos are uploaded in fairly low quality anyway so I guess it doesn't make a huge difference either way, and doesn't detract from the recaps overall.

Also, I have no issues with Dave or Jenny using my videos for recaps, and they would not need to ask for my permission anyway. They are often the first to see some of these videos, since I shoot them messages with links right after some performances... like when Elena won in the SP at Europeans, I immediately sent Jenny the Eurosport video and commented about how her 'skating daughter' had pulled ahead of Liza. And then in the FS, I messaged Dave with Liza's Eurosport video and said, "I told you we'd win!" ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
sabinfire, by chance will you be doing video from NBC's 4CC coverage tomorrow?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
sabinfire, by chance will you be doing video from NBC's 4CC coverage tomorrow?

I will definitely be recording both NBC and CBC coverage, especially given they are the only two sources of true 1080p HD (60 frames per second) that I currently have access to with my own devices.

I sincerely doubt I will be posting 100% of the coverage on YouTube, but will absolutely plan on posting some of the highlights at least -- Josh's FS is pretty much a given, both from NBC and CBC. As for the rest, it will depend on which skater's they choose to cover and what the commentary is like...

Of course, if there is high demand for a certain video, I could probably upload that too.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I will definitely be recording both NBC and CBC coverage, especially given they are the only two sources of true 1080p HD (60 frames per second) that I currently have access to with my own devices.

I sincerely doubt I will be posting 100% of the coverage on YouTube, but will absolutely plan on posting some of the highlights at least -- Josh's FS is pretty much a given, both from NBC and CBC. As for the rest, it will depend on which skater's they choose to cover and what the commentary is like...

Of course, if there is high demand for a certain video, I could probably upload that too.

Sounds excellent! Thanks, sabinfire again. There are not much 4CC videos except yours. I relied on your videos for the whole 4CC competitions too. :)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Sounds excellent! Thanks, sabinfire again. There are not much 4CC videos except yours. I relied on your videos for the whole 4CC competitions too. :)

I appreciate that. :) And I don't understand where all the usual suspects are, either. There are a few YouTuber's that typically upload Eurosport videos like clockwork year-round, but are mysteriously silent now...

It's disappointing that when I search the internet to find other videos of 4CC, half the time they are just re-posts of mine...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I appreciate that. :) And I don't understand where all the usual suspects are, either. There are a few YouTuber's that typically upload Eurosport videos like clockwork year-round, but are mysteriously silent now...

It's disappointing that when I search the internet to find other videos of 4CC, half the time they are just re-posts of mine...

I've heard that some uploaders get paid by YouTube for their click numbers or commercials included at the beginning of their videos. Perhaps, they don't want to loose subscribers. It is disrespectful if some of the uploaders reupload yours for whatever reason behind their action.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Many thanks, sabinfire. :bow:

I've heard that some uploaders get paid by YouTube for their click numbers or commercials included at the beginning of their videos. Perhaps, they don't want to loose subscribers. It is disrespectful if some of the uploaders reupload yours for whatever reason behind their action.

Disrespectful is an understatement, unfortunately.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks for the support and understanding, it means a lot.

And I'm sure Sam-Skwantch was just being overly cautious/respectful here, but I don't want to seem like I'm coming across like a character out of Lord Of The Rings with 'my precious' videos. If folks want to save off the videos for their own personal collections, or re-purpose it in some way to generate unique/original content, or simply use snippets of the videos -- I don't mind (and giving credit is courteous but not necessary). If anything, it's usually nice to see the videos being used by others in this way. I would never go through this effort to release videos into the wild of the internet if I were that sensitive to how they are used.

Every time someone has asked me for permission and/or credited me when using a video, I have always been fine with this -- although I've never had a YouTube user ask me if they could do a straight re-upload of a video on their own YouTube channel, but that would be a silly request... :slink: