2015 JGP Colorado Springs Free Dance Sep 5 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Free Dance Sep 5

TMC

Record Breaker
Hmmm, I'm not totally convinced by this program :shrug: It just didn't look polished enough, let alone score 93 :laugh:
BTW, what is the highest Junior FD score?

FD:

1 93.70 Anna Yanovskaia & Sergei Mozgov [RUS] World Junior Championships 2015-03-08

SD:

1 66.73 Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker [USA] World Junior Championships 2014-03-16

Total: 159.31 today

ETA: was

1 157.12 Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker [USA] World Junior Championships 2014-03-16

Last edited:
When is Carmen not exactly Carmen?

They'll easily win this. Easily. But that is a strange program, not quirky exactly, just uhm strange. But they are in their own league here.

It is certainly not the typical 'Carmen.' (Always interested to see the programs that come out of WISA.) I wasn't so sure of it when I first saw it, but when I watched it here I appreciated it a lot more. The theatrics in this FD are tamed in comparison to their POTO last season. :drama:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When is Carmen not exactly Carmen?

They'll easily win this. Easily. But that is a strange program, not quirky exactly, just uhm strange. But they are in their own league here.

It's good to be strange sometimes. Gives the people something different to watch and enjoy.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
This^
Say what you want about their Carmen but you can't deny its entertainment value.

Florentina

On the Ice
Well at least no one can accuse McNamara and Carpenter of being generic. Even though they pick some of the warhorses. Like it or not but I do watch them with interest whereas with some other programs I rather go grab a coffee...

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well at least no one can accuse McNamara and Carpenter of being generic. Even though they pick some of the warhorses. Like it or not but I do watch them with interest whereas with some other programs I rather go grab a coffee...

Agree. At least it gives them an edge to a number of other couples. By edge, I mean eyecatcher.

I thing I DO hope is that this big win doesn't mean they'll peak too early. Cause that score is somewhat equivalent to some senior scores and that would have put them in 8th place at 2015 senior worlds.

sbaker

On the Ice
Agree. At least it gives them an edge to a number of other couples. By edge, I mean eyecatcher.

I thing I DO hope is that this big win doesn't mean they'll peak too early. Cause that score is somewhat equivalent to some senior scores and that would have put them in 8th place at 2015 senior worlds.

I have a good feeling about them. Their FD was well scored here, but it still has a lot of room to grow I think. It didn't seem as comfortable for them to perform as their SD. They levels weren't as good or consistent. Their interview was quite good. Seems like they have a great team to help them with pacing and acknowledge areas of improvement.

I don't think they are as good as Y/M or H/B, but with a shallow field this year, I predict they will break all of the records by the JGPF :popcorn:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a good feeling about them. Their FD was well scored here, but it still has a lot of room to grow I think. It didn't seem as comfortable for them to perform as their SD. They levels weren't as good or consistent. Their interview was quite good. Seems like they have a great team to help them with pacing and acknowledge areas of improvement.

I don't think they are as good as Y/M or H/B, but with a shallow field this year, I predict they will break all of the records by the JGPF :popcorn:

Maybe if they continue to improve, they might get scores that are compatible to senior-level scores!

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice

Their better than those boring teams.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are NEVER boring, and that's a blessing!

I found Y/M rather boring, BTW. They were a handsome pair, but somehow all their dances looked the same.

noidont

Final Flight
This Carmen is not en par with Y&M's FD last season. Score is ridiculous. Both's SS are not remarkable and they rely on power strokes and OTT drama. But I think this team will probably win JWC this year.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Good home cooking, must be tasty.
Overall I liked both M/C programms, SD better than FD, but FD looks good too. But these scores look extremely inflated. Level 4 for their step sequence? Yeah, right. It wasn't necessary to overscore them this much, they still would have easily won this with best scores of the season if were judged hmmm... less loyal and closer to reality. Not their fault of course.
BUT they did great job preparing for the season, I can't deny that. And they improved a lot, I wonder where they're gonna be next season with C/B, Shibs, H/D and H/B latest improvement.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Good home cooking, must be tasty.
Overall I liked both M/C programms, SD better than FD, but FD looks good too. But these scores look extremely inflated. Level 4 for their step sequence? Yeah, right. It wasn't necessary to overscore them this much, they still would have easily won this with best scores of the season if were judged hmmm... less loyal and closer to reality. Not their fault of course.
BUT they did great job preparing for the season, I can't deny that. And they improved a lot, I wonder where they're gonna be next season with C/B, Shibs, H/D and H/B latest improvement.

Yes it is unfortunate the home cooking was so egregious. They were clearly the class of the field and didn't need it.

And yes, next year should be very interesting with at least 6 teams vying for 3 spots on the world team. High class problems. :)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Yes it is unfortunate the home cooking was so egregious. They were clearly the class of the field and didn't need it.

And yes, next year should be very interesting with at least 6 teams vying for 3 spots on the world team. High class problems. :)

Do you know if Parsons are going Seniors too?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FWIW, I don't think M/C even bought into their scores. Lorraine had a quizzical look during the SD and during the FD, I think they were more thrilled about the win then the score. It sounds like they believe there's a lot to improve on.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I haven't heard anything about the Parsons going senior next year. If they don't have to I would, if I was their coach, advise against it. Why not get the experience of being a top dog before you age up to where you will be middle of the pack? YMMV of course.

Yes, both the SD and FD have a lot to improve on. It's interesting--I was very impressed with so many of the SDs this competition, and relatively few of the FDs impressed me. And sorry Snow, but why is Russian Ice Dance stuck in the early 90s? It's so obvious that the technical ability is first rate, but the programs tend to be histrionic, with tacky costumes and atrocious music. What is this veritable obsession with adding trashy, souped up dance beats and/or overproduced vocals to everything? It's all so predictably overwrought that it has become downright boring.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Turns out I was completely wrong about the Koreans. No Lewis/Bye on the podium either. But I had no prior knowledge about the new Russian teams, that's why I didn't count them among favorites for the podium. Such an approach is completely wrong, of course - should never count out things and people you don't know about :). Was right about Bent/Razgulajevs, though. Their scores were so far from McNamara/Carpenter, but they looked really good and confident for such a new team. I would still like to see a taller partner for Mackenzie, but you can't have everything.