2015 Rostelecom Cup Mens SP | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Mens SP

TMC

Record Breaker
I know that correlation does not necessarily equal causation, but skaters who do quads tend to receive higher PCS scores. Not sure exactly why, but I guess the general vibe judges get from the program tends to be greater when skaters do a quad.

So I don't think having a quad does have an impact on PCS scores.

Yeah I know that is the reality, but I'm always confused when people say that is the way it should be, when nothing in the actual rules says that it should be so. It's just a thing that is, nothing to do with the rules of PCS.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
:scratch2: So is the rule to give points based on a comparison between skaters at that particular event? I thought it was to give points based on what that particular skater did, regardless of others. I'm confused

You are correct. This isn't 6.0 any more. And I thought Adian's interpretation was better today - speaking as a fan of both.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Adian's Clean skate at Skate America = 35.54 PCS
Adian's Clean skate at Rostelecom = 38.14 PCS :laugh:

Clearly Medvedeva and Radionova are going to be scoring 34+/70+ PCS... I can only imagine the 36+/77+ they'll give Sotnikova if she goes clean. :popcorn:

Any Russian skater would kill to compete at Rostelecom at this point.

It's not quite as bad as the 2012 RosCup, but yes the event is the Weimar Germany of home cooking. Though this year it's actually better than I feared it would be.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed Ross Miner. He's cute as can be and, I love his deep knees. I sure wish he would learn to relax his upper body just a bit more. New York State of Mind is a cool, laid back piece of music and if I had one nit pick, that would be it. Great Job! Shame about Adam.

Good luck to all the Ladies.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not necessarily a quad, but if there are deficiencies in jumps, how can a ten be given for performance.

I'm not defending Javi's 10's. Poor quality of jumps absolutely can and probably should affect PCS marks. I was just saying I think some skaters like Adian are under appreciated.

Quality of jumps and how well they are integrated into program can effect PCS scores sure..... I'll agree to that. But.....I don't think a quad is any more capable of impacting a program than a triple or even a well done double would be. The difficulty should only apply to the BV and the effectiveness of the jump on the program can then bleed into the PCS. I just don't believe that jump difficulty should be a threshold for receiving 7's vs 8's in PCS. YMMV but mine doesn't :)

Last edited:

luenatic

On the Ice
Ross SP was the best for me. He should be in the 1st place. His PCS was deflated. I think Ross deserves all mid 8s in every PCS category.

Adian still skated like a junior. I cannot imagine why Adian could get 9.0 for skating skill. The entire program was mostly XO and 2 foot skating. Mid 7s would be generous. How can a judge compare Adian's SS to Javier's SS? And let's talk about transition (or lack thereof). 8.50 for Adian's transition? Seriously? His PCS was way inflated.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ross SP was the best for me. He should be in the 1st place. His PCS was deflated. I think Ross deserves all mid 8s in every PCS category.

Adian still skated like a junior. I cannot imagine why Adian could get 9.0 for skating skill. The entire program was mostly XO and 2 foot skating. Mid 7s would be generous. How can a judge compare Adian's SS to Javier's SS? And let's talk about transition (or lack thereof). 8.50 for Adian's transition? Seriously? His PCS was way inflated.

Ross shouldn't be in first place, but he got hosed on PCS. If Adian is a 38.14, Ross is at least a 41.

And I think we all know Adian's PCS (like the TR mark you said) was ridiculous. As was the 9.00 he got for SS. Hmmm... I wonder who was the Russian judge?!?! :laugh:

luenatic

On the Ice
Ross shouldn't be in first place, but he got hosed on PCS. If Adian is a 38.14, Ross is at least a 41.

And I think we all know Adian's PCS (like the TR mark you said) was ridiculous. As was the 9.00 he got for SS. Hmmm... I wonder who was the Russian judge?!?! :laugh:

If Adian's PCS was a bit more realistic. And if Ross got 42.5 PCS (average 8.5 for each PCS category), he'd be in first place. Hell, if Ross got 41.5 PCS and Adian's with more realistic PCS, Ross would still be in first place.

Lots of if if if.

At the end of the day, Adian and Ross are not at the same level in terms of PCS. They should not be 1.65 points apart. There should be at least 5 points difference.

tzazu

Medalist
Hands down the best men's SP of the season. The CoC performance was just magical!

Yes, Javi's SP at CoC was brilliant, here so-so, but I hope to see it again in GPF (and Worlds and Euros):luv17:

mrrice

Record Breaker

I loved Ross's SP but, IMO, he has got to relax his upper body if he is hoping to raise his PCS. He's so cute and fast but, Billy Joel is singing jazz and still looks like he's skating to classical music.

chameleon

On the Ice
I like Ross too, but I really don't think he's five points better than Adian in PCS. Adian had higher PCS here than in the SA SP, but he also had a much stronger skate. The 9 in SS was ludicrous but the overall SS mark wasn't. He doesn't deserve 8s but high 7s seems fine to me.

Anyhow, I'm hoping for a better skated LP. Hopefully Javi will get it together and both Ross and Adian have similarity strong LPs.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I loooved Adian's SP. Watched it several times and I cannot believe how much he has improved(and grown since juniors)!

whatif

Medalist
In what world Ross deserves 5 points higher PCS than Pitkeev.
Pitkeev has excellent skating skills, great speed, perfectly choreographed programmes full of transitions. Insane to even compare to Mainer's skating from the 80s. And I actually enjoyed Ross.

Anyway, anyone predicted this outcome?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Good morning folks.

What on earth happened here? :laugh: Thrilled for Adian and Ross, but so, so confused right now. :laugh:

jkun

Final Flight
Why does Adam keep going for his "quad lutz" in competition? He always approaches it with too little speed. He's never going to rotate. And its usually not even <, its <<. Especially now that we have someone who can do a 4Lz with ease, he should probably stop trying it until he feels he can get consistently get the rotation.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Just now starting to watch the videos.

YAS PITKEEV YAAASSS!!!!!!!

Exactly as I skate at Skate America, this is what he deserves to score for a clean performance. And he did this time! YAAAAS!!!!!!!!!!!

I regret only predicting him to finish 3rd, he can finish 2nd here! So proud!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Exactly as I skate at Skate America, this is what he deserves to score for a clean performance. And he did this time! YAAAAS!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad your helping to beat the Adian drum on this forum. That dude has a very cool style. Maybe not the most emotive but I think he makes up for in other ways. He's very precise in his movements. It's very well thought out. Any podium spot will make me happy but I'd love that silver for him.

MIM

Medalist

Lol I watched men's event muted at work. Adian stands out and deservedly leads. He's on the 4th in my list, but he is capable of more. Hope he medals here!