2015 Rostelecom Cup Pairs SP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Pairs SP

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not trying to be rude but did you watch K/OS's program? It was horribly sloppy I am sorry. I actually felt their score was generous.

Yeah, I watched it. :)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
At Euros 2010 they were highly overscored... but that is past.

I think her sporty skills seem to be a little low sometimes. She looses her body pressure and her grace in some movements.

But I really like their programs this year
yeah probably I just can't assess it objectively as an uber. To me in presentation they're above all pairs nowdays :eek::
2010 isnt the most latest undercoring tho Last Euros they clearly desrved the Gold but could actually get it only because S/K had a major mistake. S/K would have gotten the gold if clean (& undeservingly so)

anyway I'll try to be over it I promise:laugh: Even bronze can get them into the GPF

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yeah probably I just can't assess it objectively as an uber. To me in presentation they're above all pairs nowdays :eek::
2010 isnt the most latest undercoring tho Last Euros they clearly desrved the Gold but could actually get it only because S/K had a major mistake. S/K would have gotten the gold if clean (& undeservingly so)

anyway I'll try to be over it I promise:laugh: Even bronze can get them into the GPF

I'm hoping to see them in the GPF as well! They can deliver a skate. :) They have such an interesting contrast with Kavaguti/Smirnov, too. Like passion and power vs. romantic, pristine beauty (when they skate clean, of course.)

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
While I agree with you that the score looks suspicious, considering that they were underscored in Skate America in the LP and lost on a medal (IMO they deserved the bronze, the Canadiens silver), I really want them to win here so that they can go to the GPF

Sorry, they did NOT deserve a medal at Skate America, after the 3 errors in their SP (bad twist, fall on the throw, stumble in the footwork -- still got them 33 PCS somehow) and in their FS (throw salchow stepout, 3S<< fall, spin error). The Americans were a bit overscored on PCS (especially in the SP), but their quad twist justified them being on the podium.

I would have legit been furious if S/K beat out an essentially clean S/B.

This SP was much improved, but it's not their best artistically. Clearly that PCS was homecooked... but they still definitely deserve the lead, and that's a huge relief for them to finally throw that down.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Is that the best score of the season in the SP?

Yes:

Stolbova/Klimov: 40.05+35.40 = 75.45
Volosozhar/Trankov: 39.38+35.12 = 74.50
Sui/Han: 40.00+34.40 = 74.40
Duhamel/Radford: 38.27+34.19 = 72.46
Kavaguti/Smirnov: 39.35+33.10 = 72.45

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Protocol time, could someone please explain why K/S death spiral was only level 1? It looked just as good as P/Z to me, but I am no expert in levels. Thank you!

Haven't watched it but I'm pretty sure the criteria are:

*Creative/difficult entry
*Full revolution with man in low position (count each time)

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Sorry, they did NOT deserve a medal at Skate America, after the 3 errors in their SP (bad twist, fall on the throw, stumble in the footwork -- still got them 33 PCS somehow) and in their FS (throw salchow stepout, 3S<< fall, spin error). The Americans were a bit overscored on PCS (especially in the SP), but their quad twist justified them being on the podium.

I would have legit been furious if S/K beat out an essentially clean S/B.

This SP was much improved, but it's not their best artistically. Clearly that PCS was homecooked... but they still definitely deserve the lead, and that's a huge relief for them to finally throw that down.

Let's agree to disagree then on Skate America results. I thought the Americans were really of in the LP, with two major falls on the side-by-side jumps and error on the throw, which affected them and should have been more reflected in the PCS. Oh, and I thought S/B should have been second, not off the podium, with the Russians in third (yes, the Americans did a 4twist, but the Russians did 3T-3T-2T combo). I thought that at least on PCS, the Russians should have more than 1 point gap in the LP considering what the Americans did. Oh well, it doesn't matter now. Americans overscored in USA, Russians overscored in Russia. Same old story and we are still fighting about it

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I'm hoping to see them in the GPF as well! They can deliver a skate. :) They have such an interesting contrast with Kavaguti/Smirnov, too. Like passion and power vs. romantic, pristine beauty (when they skate clean, of course.)
They really are. Haha yeah super unstable too
Im gonna bite off all of my nails tomorrow probably:laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Let's agree to disagree then on Skate America results. I thought the Americans were really of in the LP, with two major falls on the side-by-side jumps and error on the throw, which affected them and should have been more reflected in the PCS. Oh, and I thought S/B should have been second, not off the podium, with the Russians in third (yes, the Americans did a 4twist, but the Russians did 3T-3T-2T combo). I thought that at least on PCS, the Russians should have more than 1 point gap in the LP considering what the Americans did. Oh well, it doesn't matter now. Americans overscored in USA, Russians overscored in Russia. Same old story and we are still fighting about it

Yup. I just thought overall, those who end up on the podium deserve to be teams/skaters who performed well enough to deserve a medal. My expectation was that the judges would forgive S/K's multitude of errors and "allow them" to medal, which thankfully did not happen. The Americans had SBS jump errors (in both programs), but I think overall they were cleaner - and frankly, skated much better in both programs - than the Russians. The Russians were so blah at Skate America. Here there's improvements, but not worthy of 75+(and personal best PCS) IMO.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Pairs skating is definitely delivering this year (in the short programme at least), this was another high quality event.

A deserved lead for S/K, good to see her smiling at the end, this programme really suits her style. I don't think it was worth 75+ and I wouldn't have them so far ahead of K/S. Nice throw, lift, jumps and a great step sequence.

K/S are my favourites, they probably should be second but a bit closer to S/K. I didn't like this programme at the test skates but it really has grown on me, it has a real emotional feel to it and just like in the long they match the high points of the music so well. What is funny is that after her comments about the music in a previous interview she really seems to enjoy the programme. I am a bit unsure of the scoring of the BODS, they only got a level 1 but P/Z got a level 4, seemed pretty similar to me. Looking forward to seeing two quad throws in the free.

P/Z had a nice skate bar her odd fall, their throw was superb. I was never a fan of his in the past but in this partnership his performance quality has gone up a couple of levels and he presents her so well. I enjoyed the Italians in fourth but interesting to note that there score is less that what DM/G scored in TEB. Z/E had a good skate to get over 60 but while the TES was deserved, the PCS was generous I found it a very empty programme and the vocals were awful, they could have skated to anything.

Why was MT/M lift invalidated? I find him very shaky in the lifts, I always am expecting a disaster to happen, his footwork is a bit unsteady I think. They are definitely in a battle for the final place on the Canadian team with I/M, I think I would have S/B as clear No. 2, not sure if they will make it.

whatif

Medalist
Yes:

Stolbova/Klimov: 40.05+35.40 = 75.45
Volosozhar/Trankov: 39.38+35.12 = 74.50
Sui/Han: 40.00+34.40 = 74.40
Duhamel/Radford: 38.27+34.19 = 72.46
Kavaguti/Smirnov: 39.35+33.10 = 72.45

I think we should start adding Savchenko's scores to these lists now.

This season, Pairs is the most unpredictable of all disciplines and the most exciting too. Just a roller coaster. Today, S/K showed that you don't really need a lutz or a quad to compete at this level. Highest score with toes and scratchy twists. And there you have it. And we thought they were done. Anyway, let's hope they can keep it together in the free, and nail that 3-3-2.

MIM

Medalist
I have to say ksenia is so on-point. She is top3 pair woman in the world imo. They are going to reign no mather what partner they are with; Tatiana,Aliona,and Ksenia. Ksenia is amazing and her team deservedly leads in the sp.

But imo, k/s has a better packaging and programs. Their fp is hands down the best and the sp is so charming. I love the lift where yuko crosses her ankles. That is so dreamy, justifies the cheesy music choice, and exhibits the pair's strong assets. Bravo K/S!

Peng and zang is perfect except peng is too young. I think this sp is the best program of the season but, her presence needs to be stronger, sharper,and more dominant. I want this pair to thrive. But how long can zang wait physically? They need a better strategy to achieve their goal. It is so close,so close.

slider11

Medalist
I have to agree. Their (Kristen's) desire to go really fast and with great power is not synching with Michael's ability to lift and maintain a steady balance. It seems like her momentum is what's carrying them on the ice during lifts rather than Michael's skating. I cringe when he lifts her!
MT/M just aren't my cup of tea but that did have good energy. Their lifts remain a disaster waiting to happen though- I honestly do feel scared for her at times.

slider11

Medalist
Peng and Zang look like a daughter-father couple. Their SP is very innovative but Peng is just so young and mechanical and Zang tries hard to soften her effect with his broad smile but the chemistry just isn't there.
I have to say ksenia is so on-point. She is top3 pair woman in the world imo. They are going to reign no mather what partner they are with; Tatiana,Aliona,and Ksenia. Ksenia is amazing and her team deservedly leads in the sp.

But imo, k/s has a better packaging and programs. Their fp is hands down the best and the sp is so charming. I love the lift where yuko crosses her ankles. That is so dreamy, justifies the cheesy music choice, and exhibits the pair's strong assets. Bravo K/S!

Peng and zang is perfect except peng is too young. I think this sp is the best program of the season but, her presence needs to be stronger, sharper,and more dominant. I want this pair to thrive. But how long can zang wait physically? They need a better strategy to achieve their goal. It is so close,so close.

ginsengtea

Rinkside
Peng and Zang look like a daughter-father couple. Their SP is very innovative but Peng is just so young and mechanical and Zang tries hard to soften her effect with his broad smile but the chemistry just isn't there.

I disagree with you in thinking that Peng Cheng is mechanical, I thought she sold it quite well today. The age difference...I completely understand why some people just can't get into them because of it. I think this SP seems to magnify their age gap more than their Nutcracker SP last season.

MIM

Medalist

I disagree with you in thinking that Peng Cheng is mechanical, I thought she sold it quite well today. The age difference...I completely understand why some people just can't get into them because of it. I think this SP seems to magnify their age gap more than their Nutcracker SP last season.

Peng is the perfect pair partner. Here, she secures her sbs jumps and her pair element is state-of- art. But Peng needs stronger presence/charisma on the ice. And her make-up is too simple. Can Xue Zhao help her present a woman power? She seems to be surrounded by elderly men and that may intimidate her. Imo, she needs sisterhood( idk what better way to put it).

Last edited:

apple123

On the Ice
S/K's score is so ridiculous. 40 for TES? really? With that twist? 35+ for PCS? Are they that better than any other pairs this season? It's a joke of COR to push that score in everyone's face.

And what S/K's choreography has anything to do with the music? You can switch it to any other music and it doesn't matter. So generic. K/S's program is so much better.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
S/K's speed was phenomenal, the choreography interesting, and they really performed the program that time. Hope they can keep it up.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I rewatched the programs now and this scene is everything. How she glares at him. He is her greatest accessory. It's all about her and it's great. But how much better could he be with another partner? We'll never know, they both would be stupid to even think about a split. When it comes to pure skating those two are the best. Period.
The top 4 were all very good, I love K/S's SP, it's the best cheesy program of the season (and I like the contrast to their FS). P/Z really grow on me and M/H have a very solid performance, good comeback after SA for them. Great 3LzTh.
The tech panel seemed to be picky on the death spirals.

QuadThrow

Medalist

I agree. I love Ksenia and her expression and flow...Fedor is a good partner who let her shine bright. It is a pity that the twist and the throws are a little bit low.

Tatjana and Aliona are pair skating legends. Both from the Ukraine, both were skating with morozov at first and both achieved great successes over more than 10 years. And there carreers are still going on. So let us hope for a final battle in 2018.