2015 Trophée Bompard Mens SP | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2015 Trophée Bompard Mens SP

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... If you win in one you usually come in second in the other. Ja?

Counterexample [ETA, actually two counterexamples]:
Fourth place at Skate America and first place at NHK was sufficient for D. Takahashi to qualify for the GPF in 2013.

ETA, and I see that the same year, Han Yan qualified with a first and a fourth as well:
Defending Grand Prix Final Champion Daisuke Takahashi (JPN) earned his spot with a gold medal from NHK Trophy and by finishing fourth in Detroit. 2012 World Junior Champion Yan qualified with a gold from China and a fourth place finish in France.

(But Takahashi ended up withdrawing from the GPF. Instead Oda, the first alternate, competed.)

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Boy, what terrible skating. Who would of guessed it? There are so many strong men right now. If Max and Patrick finish off the podium it will be a strange GP final - when's the last time a winner didn't go to the final? If you win in one you usually come in second in the other. Ja?

Well, Dice won NHK last year but he only had one event so I'm not sure if it counts...

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
OMG, when I see a program to this, and not a cheese program, a serious artistic program to this, I'm dead. Done. Will die, and will not be able to be resuscitated: Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

Someone is GOING to start the footwork sequence with "Air Drums" at that point where the Drums are, I KNOW IT.

And bonus for working in some sort of choreographic nod to the urban legend about the drowning and the guy who didn't help ... :dance2:

andromache

Record Breaker
What is the difference between having a bias, and having opinions that you aren't afraid to make known?

I'm not sure what 'bias' B.ESP would have though, since British skaters have been virtually non-existent in figure skating these days...

Having bias means having completely unfounded opinions based on who you personally like and dislike. I find that BESP commentators usually justify their opinions by pointing to specific things they see on the ice.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Who would have thought Fernandez would have the cleanest SP out of the top 4 men???

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What a nightmare. The competition is a total mess. :sad4:

I think the top 3 did well for themselves. Not perfect but we don't have the SC case of Chanyu mess. Chan had to do the mess by himself today.

All in all, not too bad for Friday the 13th.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think the top 3 did well for themselves. Not perfect but we don't have the SC case of Chanyu mess. Chan had to do the mess by himself today.

All in all, not too bad for Friday the 13th.

Well, I'm a bit relieved that Murakami managed to be in the top 3, but other than that, the competition just gives me a headache.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree. He's starting to do that corkscrew thing with his vaulting leg so that he is already a quarter turn before he leaves the ice. (the problem Caroline Zhang worked so hard to get rid of) Fix now or big problems later.

Well, if he has the same problem that Caroline had, he better fix it......FAST!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
What was so nightmarish about it? There were some good performances...

Chan, Ten, Max and the French guys. I also dislike Kovtun's program and his ugly arm movements.
I could even miss his Bolero last season. I have my own opinion, don't I?

Besides, I had waited this particular event among all GP series, so even more than another Chan vs Hanyu and Boyang at CoC.
I believed it would be the most exciting event with the great line up.

However, this event didn't fill up my expectation at all. So I said "a nightmare".

Last edited:

icekiwi

On the Ice
Maxim skating to 'I Can't Dance'

Well, he didn't lie...

But he is trying, at least. And it is better than last year.

Ha! Ha! Agree. By the way, out of curiosity, I watched Kovtun's skate on the Russian video link from this thread, who is the commentotor that 'screamed' :eekn: at the top of her voice each time Kovtun landed one of his jumps??? I thought Japanese commentators sometimes get very emotive about their skaters landing their jumps but this is way over the top.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Ha! Ha! Agree. By the way, out of curiosity, I watched Kovtun's skate on the Russian video link from this thread, who is the commentotor that 'screamed' :eekn: at the top of her voice each time Kovtun landed one of his jumps??? I thought Japanese commentators sometimes get very emotive about their skaters landing their jumps but this is way over the top.

That's Tatiana Tarasova, who of course is quite emotionally invested in Kovtun's skating.