2015 US Nationals Predictions and Wishes | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Predictions and Wishes

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I agree. However, my fantasy construct is based on one (hopefully more) of them DO skate perfectly clean. I think that if they do, their higher TES would make them a more likely podium candidate than Jason.

I desperately hope we get to find out... and to be honest, I hope the clean performance is turned in by Josh. I think he's a beautiful, elegant, understated skater, and I really want to see the potential realized.

Everyone has a sentimental favorite, right?

Although, on second thought... I really like Max's smash-face approach to skating, and I like Ricky's attitude...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
\
I desperately hope we get to find out... and to be honest, I hope the clean performance is turned in by Josh. I think he's a beautiful, elegant, understated skater, and I really want to see the potential realized.

I agree with this. Everyone here knows how much I love Max and Jason too, but they have already established themselves, while Josh is still invisible to everyone, including his own federation.

That said, brb, spending the rest of the afternoon :laugh: at the apt description of Max's skating as "smash-face"

deedee1

Record Breaker

Tavi...

Record Breaker
No, I agree. However, my fantasy construct is based on one (hopefully more) of them DO skate perfectly clean. I think that if they do, their higher TES would make them a more likely podium candidate than Jason.

Everyone has a sentimental favorite, right?

Although, on second thought... I really like Max's smash-face approach to skating, and I like Ricky's attitude...

Josh is a beautiful skater, Max seems like a great competitor and a nice fun guy, and I love a lot of things about Ricky's skating too (have you seen his exh where he plays torero & uses a stuffed bull as a prop? Hysterical.) My sense, though, is that-more than just skating clean-if one or more of those guys have breakout performances like Jason did with Riverdance, they could place ahead of him. As could other guys you didn't mention, like Nathan Chen.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
I'm rooting for Josh, Max, and Ricky. I've been waiting for Josh to light up an arena. He's got the goods. Now is the time to deliver. This will sound perverse, I know. I'm a huge Jason fan, but I hope he skates well, but does not make the WC team. He's going to need the quad to be a real contender on the World stage, not just an artist... a real podium threat... and it's past time we got over the whole semi-flirty "I've been practicing, maybe next competition" stage. So Jason, I hope you stay at home this year... you've got to figure out what it is you want exactly out of this sport.

I am always glad skaters listen to their coaches rather then others actually have no idea what's going on. I would suggest that you stick to advising your skaters. (You are a coach I assume since you seem to know how skaters should be trained and perform? )

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ Get a grip on yourself.

It's a fan message board, wherein the participants get to voice opinions.

Did you somehow think you'd stumbled onto something else?

Stephina

Spectator
My prediction crazy I know Is Jason 1st, Nathan 2nd, and Jeremy 3rd . Now follow the logic Jason doesn't have the TES but CAN skate lights out a component score, Nathan Chen has everything except age 4x National Champ and quads just not enough maturity for men's champ yet, and Jeremy always does well at Nationals. Then those three would be the world team and Jeremy would Splat at worlds as always and finally retire like he should have done last year. Josh, Max, Ricky , and Adam all deserve a shot but it won't happen.

Just like no matter how well Castelli/Tran skate even if everyone else splats the judges will never let an ineligible for worlds team win this year . I haven't seen them skate I don't have anything against them I happen to think it COULD be a good match. But not this year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just logged into US Fantasy Skating to put my picks in.

Here are the men's A picks:

Max, Jeremy, Jason, Nathan, Ricky, Josh, Doug.

:cry:

How am I supposed to pick one?!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just like no matter how well Castelli/Tran skate even if everyone else splats the judges will never let an ineligible for worlds team win this year

Nagasu in 2008? Different discipline, I know, but if they are the best then they deserve to win...

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
I appreciate all the support for Max Aaron. I predict he will be in the top three. I must say though, if we had a field of more "Jason's", I would never put him in my top three. If we are really being honest, when he won in 2013, it was partly due to the fact that he had the PERFECT routines to suit his style. He will never have another better set of choreographed programs (to his style of skating) than Tron and West Side Story. For sure, West Side Story REALLY suited his style, and he didn't need much artistry because it was SOOO him!! And he skated his butt off and hit everything (with the exception of small turn out on one of the triples axels). As much as any choreographer tries to put together new programs, they will never be to the perfection that was the perfect duo of programs for him in 2013. Just my opinion, I wish him the best. He sure seems like a great guy and tough comptetitor, but seriously not much in the way of skating skills/components especially when you watch him right after Jason, Jeremy or Josh...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ I think you've got some interesting thoughts. I agree with some... not with others.

I'm a big Jason fan (although I'm rooting for three other men to make the team). But I've got to tell you the world is a pretty vanilla place without some variety.

So, I'm glad we don't have a field of Jasons. Artistry can be defined in many ways, and I'd miss the other styles.

You're right, West Side Story suited Max perfectly, but that doesn't mean he can't beat that. Or that he can't evolve and explore music and technique in different ways. Although I didn't like last year's programs, I appreciated that he took a risk on growth, especially during an Olympic season.

Right now I don't see where Jason will ever get a program that suits him as much as Riverdance. And you know what... nothing will. Until it does.

I like Max. He attacks, even if he's made mistakes. I'm never afraid he's going to wilt like a hothouse orchid when he skates.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Here's what I'd like to see:

Ladies:

1. Courtney Hicks
2. Gracie Gold
3. Ashley Wagner
4. Polina Edmunds

Men:

1. Joshua Farris
2. Jeremy Abbott
3. Ross Miner
4. uh... Dornbush, I guess?

Ice Dance:

1. Chock/Bates
2. Shibutani/Shibutani
3. Hawayek/Baker
4. Hubbell/Donohue

Pairs:

I don't really care. Sorry...

joeonice

Rinkside
I would assume wagner , gold, be on the podium but I would.love to see a new senior break out now need medal like Tyler pierce or Karen Chen for the bronze

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I would assume wagner , gold, be on the podium but I would.love to see a new senior break out now need medal like Tyler pierce or Karen Chen for the bronze

I like that since the current US squad for ladies really needs fresh air. For men's discipline, I really hope the skaters considered as a long-time underdog pull their strength and show the world what they can do. If they can break through at the Nationals, they can also seize the opportunity going to World 2015. I'm rooting for Ricky to do so.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I appreciate all the support for Max Aaron. I predict he will be in the top three. I must say though, if we had a field of more "Jason's", I would never put him in my top three. If we are really being honest, when he won in 2013, it was partly due to the fact that he had the PERFECT routines to suit his style. He will never have another better set of choreographed programs (to his style of skating) than Tron and West Side Story. For sure, West Side Story REALLY suited his style, and he didn't need much artistry because it was SOOO him!! And he skated his butt off and hit everything (with the exception of small turn out on one of the triples axels). As much as any choreographer tries to put together new programs, they will never be to the perfection that was the perfect duo of programs for him in 2013. Just my opinion, I wish him the best. He sure seems like a great guy and tough comptetitor, but seriously not much in the way of skating skills/components especially when you watch him right after Jason, Jeremy or Josh...

A field of Jasons, or of Jeremys, or of Joshs, would be boring as all get out and no fun to watch at all.

I will always have him in my top three. What's different is not always bad. I actually think WSS doesn't hold a candle to Gladiator. His improvement in that area has been huge. Jason/Jeremy/Josh might be "artistic" according to the stuck-up definition, but where are their jumps? When Josh is on his are better than Max's. But he has yet to land a quad in competition. Jeremy - you never know which one will show up. And Jason will never be the strongest jumper.

He's fast - which last time I checked was a bullet point of SS - and his bladework actually isn't that bad, in spite of the varying cries to the contrary. And if you ever have the chance, just sit and watch the way he uses his arms. Every movement of his arms is deliberate, controlled, and varies between soft and hard according to what he's doing.

He's a pocket-rocket dynamo who nicely balances things out. The Performer, the Athlete, and the Artist - that's still a beautifully balanced trio for Worlds, for mine.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Wishes? Shibs overtake C/B, Mirai has the skate of her life and wins and Adam makes the podium. Is it probable? Ehm... :rolleye: But they're my wishes and everything can happen! :biggrin:

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
2015 US Championships

Ladies
1. Gold
2. Hicks
3. Cesario
4. Edmunds
5. Nagasu
6. Wagner

Men
1. Aaron
2. Rippon
3. Brown
4. Dornbush
5. Farris
6. Chen

Ice Dance
1. Chock/Bates
2. Shibutani/Shibutani
3. Hubbell/ Donohue
4. Aldridge/Baker
5. Hawayek/Baker
6. Gamelin/Gamelin

Pairs
1. Scimeca/Knierim
2. Denney/Fraizer
3. Aaron/Settlage
4. Calang/Sidhu
5. Castelli/Tran
6. Leng/Shnapir

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aaron/Settlage just might bring me back as a serious fan of pairs skating.

On a GS'ers recommendation, I watched their programs in the early season, and I like them. She is especially lovely.

Of course, there is plenty of work to be done... especially matching lines... but there is real potential there, and they're young enough for that potential to be realized over the course of several years.

I'll also be watching for that quad twist lift from S/K.