2015 US Nationals Predictions and Wishes | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Predictions and Wishes

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:hijacked: but I always wonder if life gets confusing for Maddie sometimes, with a brother named Max and a partner named Max.

Also, if Aaron/Settelage made the Worlds team, and so did Max, would this be the first time a brother and sister have gone on the same Worlds team but in different disciplines?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
:hijacked: but I always wonder if life gets confusing for Maddie sometimes, with a brother named Max and a partner named Max.

Also, if Aaron/Settelage made the Worlds team, and so did Max, would this be the first time a brother and sister have gone on the same Worlds team but in different disciplines?

My significant other and step-father have the same name. I HATE IT! Yes, it gets confusing, my mother and i have to refer to them as yours and mine basically. When we first got together I could not deal with it and put his name in as a nickname in my phone, it stayed that way.

As for siblings. I would guess it has happened in the early 1900s as the community was smaller so you saw more people in both pairs and singles and stuff like that. It likely is the first time in a long time. Good chance it is first in the COP era at least from the USA.

R.D.

Record Breaker
on that topic, I'm assuming there's no relation between Nathan Chen and Karen Chen? :unsure:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Michal Brezina and his sister Eliska Brezinova were both at Worlds last season (although he had to withdraw after the SP).

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
A field of Jasons, or of Jeremys, or of Joshs, would be boring as all get out and no fun to watch at all.

I will always have him in my top three. What's different is not always bad. I actually think WSS doesn't hold a candle to Gladiator. His improvement in that area has been huge. Jason/Jeremy/Josh might be "artistic" according to the stuck-up definition, but where are their jumps? When Josh is on his are better than Max's. But he has yet to land a quad in competition. Jeremy - you never know which one will show up. And Jason will never be the strongest jumper.

He's fast - which last time I checked was a bullet point of SS - and his bladework actually isn't that bad, in spite of the varying cries to the contrary. And if you ever have the chance, just sit and watch the way he uses his arms. Every movement of his arms is deliberate, controlled, and varies between soft and hard according to what he's doing.

He's a pocket-rocket dynamo who nicely balances things out. The Performer, the Athlete, and the Artist - that's still a beautifully balanced trio for Worlds, for mine.

I don't want a field of Jasons, Jeremys and Joshs either. My point is that if there were a lot of the higher component type skaters, I'm not sure Max would be a favorite going into this competition. You have to be honest, in that if Max were to not hit either quad, it would be quite a "dead" program, because that's his strength. Whereas I could watch Joshua all day with no jumps, you can't realistically say the same for Max. Personally, my favorite is Ross Miner, who is more of a technical skater than a components guy as you know. So, I'm not saying I want a field of Jason, Jeremy, Josh's at all. And yes, I do love Max's speed and abandon in his performances.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Michal Brezina and his sister Eliska Brezinova were both at Worlds last season (although he had to withdraw after the SP).

Oh, I'd forgotten about that one. Any US ones?

But on the bright side that means we can ship them!

:shocked:

(Actually the one that creeped me out most were the people shipping Yuzuru and Yulia. When she was 15 and he was 19. Er...)

They can be each other's homecoming dates.

What's homecoming? I've seen the US skaters reference it a couple of times. Is it like prom?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
What's homecoming? I've seen the US skaters reference it a couple of times. Is it like prom?

Pretty much. It usually comes at the start of the year rather than at the end of the year like Prom. Some schools reserve Prom for older students. Usually prom is seen as a bit more intimate/ for older students. Homecomeing tends seem more youthful and more about high school football than next step in life. Homecoming tends to be exciting for younger students as they often encounter it first.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Whereas I could watch Joshua all day with no jumps, you can't realistically say the same for Max. Personally, my favorite is Ross Miner, who is more of a technical skater than a components guy as you know.

It will be a beautiful thing when Joshua/Ross actually skate both their programs as designed, technically at least. I'm hoping for the best at Nationals!

What's homecoming? I've seen the US skaters reference it a couple of times.

To add to what Stitchmonkey said, the idea is that your high school or college football team goes "on the road" for a couple of games at the other guys' field. Then they have a home game. So this is "homecoming" for the football team and the school holds a big dance party.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
To add to what Stitchmonkey said, the idea is that your high school or college football team goes "on the road" for a couple of games at the other guys' field. Then they have a home game. So this is "homecoming" for the football team and the school holds a big dance party.

Or more cynically. They schedule a dance right after the school plays the team expected to do really badly so you are more likely to win your homecoming game. I recall one year of the four high school in my home city/area 3 played the same team for homecoming. . . and all won.

humbaba

Final Flight

To add to what others have said, another aspect of homecoming is that it's the time when alumni return to visit their alma mater. In addition to the homecoming game, there is a big dance for students where a homecoming queen is selected.

CutieP

On the Ice
US Figure Skating Nationals 2015 in a nutshell:

"So...(*sits down comfortably*)... Gracie and Ashley ...... Is there a statement you'd like to make to the Russians?"

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My dream finishes would be:

Men
Jason Brown
Ricky Dornbush
Max Aaron
Nathan Chen

Ladies:
Ashley Wagner
Gracie Gold
Mirai Nagasu
Paulina Edmonds

Dance

The Shibutanis
Chock and Bates
Howayek and Baker
Hubbell and Donahue

Pairs (This one is really dreaming)

Kayne and O'Shea
Donlan and Bartholomay
Aaron and Settlage
Denney and Frazier

I don't really expect the medals will be decided this way, but reality will come soon enough.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My dream finishes would be:

Men
Jason Brown
Ricky Dornbush
Max Aaron
Nathan Chen

Ladies:
Ashley Wagner
Gracie Gold
Mirai Nagasu
Paulina Edmonds

Dance

The Shibutanis
Chock and Bates
Howayek and Baker
Hubbell and Donahue

Pairs (This one is really dreaming)

Kayne and O'Shea
Donlan and Bartholomay
Aaron and Settlage
Denney and Frazier

I don't really expect the medals will be decided this way, but reality will come soon enough.

Some love for my homie Nate Bartholomay.:yay: I don't expect D/B to do anything either, but I still have a soft spot for Newtown (Pa.)'s finest.

Welcome, chocolatedreamer!