2015 World Junior Championships Mens Free Skate March 7 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2015 World Junior Championships Mens Free Skate March 7

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
:cheer:I am really pleasantly surprised to see Boyang Jin had such a great redemption in the LP, probably the LP he has been waiting for for his entire junior career. His jumps have much better flow this time and the music really suits him well. This is type of music he should do more often. Is his music from Kungfu Panda? First time I actually saw him smile too. He should smile more often to show judges the sweet side of him.

jace93

On the Ice
Shoma and Boyang are older. Last year Pitkeev & Petrov beat them, now they are dealing with growth spurts. They weren't as good today, but we will see what happens in the long run. Stephen Carriere and Andrei Rogozine won gold in juniors...just saying.

Actually Pitkeev, Uno and Jin are all from the same generation, the 97-98 one... same as Nam, they have just been around longer:)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Interesting for US men that Nathan was just off the podium but more interesting that Andrew at 13 came in 7th in the free program 10th overall but less than a point out of 7th overall and he had the third highest pcs and that the second highest was just .14 ahead. He really shows a lot of promise. I think a podium finish is two years away.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Interesting for US men that Nathan was just off the podium but more interesting that Andrew at 13 came in 7th in the free program 10th overall but less than a point out of 7th overall and he had the third highest pcs and that the second highest was just .14 ahead. He really shows a lot of promise. I think a podium finish is two years away.

Andrew was 6th in the FS! :)

I love that Andrew is NOT from one of the big schools (he trains in Florida). His dad was actually a pairs skater for Russia and he won junior worlds back in the day!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

I love that Andrew is NOT from one of the big schools (he trains in Florida). His dad was actually a pairs skater for Russia and he won junior worlds back in the day!

And his mother was an ice dancer. :) I am so happy that we have a truly talented US skater who trains & skates like a Russian. (We also have another junior born & raised in Russia who isn't too bad, but Andrew has more potential, I think.) I :love: his style.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States

He was 6th??? Whoa that is good!!!! I didn't know about his bg No wonder he looks so polished and performance/competition ready. And let's hear it for the unsung skating schools.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Actually Pitkeev, Uno and Jin are all from the same generation, the 97-98 one... same as Nam, they have just been around longer:)

Shoma and Boyang will turn 18 this year, Adian and Nam will turn 17. They are older. And they came in 5th and 6th at last year's JW. I'm just saying that a lot can change in a year.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
And his mother was an ice dancer. :) I am so happy that we have a truly talented US skater who trains & skates like a Russian. (We also have another junior born & raised in Russia who isn't too bad, but Andrew has more potential, I think.) I :love: his style.

Andrew has great basics; his parents probably had him skating just after he started walking. Fast and smooth with a great sense of style yes.

Cdimop

Rinkside
and Andrew is ONLY 13 years old!

I found Andrew's website - doesn't look like it's been updated in a while, but it says he started at 4 years old. Clearly it's in his genes but he's definitely one to watch.

http://andrewtorgashev.net/

One thing that I don't thing anyone has noted is that Andrew is only 13 years old! He will be 14 in May. Hopefully growth spurts won't throw him off course. Very impressive at such a young age.

betat

Rinkside
Yeah that's right. It's going to be interesting to see how the top four of the generations will progress.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

First saw Andrew a few months in a thread in FSU with a vid posted by Sylvia, and have been keeping my eye out for him ever since. Finally saw the skate today, still has that wonderful presence, even at such a young age. If anything, he reminds me of Jason or of Josh with that presence, so it looks to me like he fits into with the "American" style of men's skating (if such exists). Except for the gloves. I hate to say anything negative about such a youngster, but I hope his parents lose the gloves.;) Otherwise, :cheer: Andrew.

peg

Medalist
Looking at the scoresheet, there seems to one judge that gives a notable array of scores to skaters. For example, here are the differences between the highest & lowest scores:

boyang jin judge #1- 2.50 points
sota yamamoto judge #2- 2.75
nathan chen #7- 2.00
daniel samohin #6- 2.00
adian pitkeev #1- 3.00

If this is the same judge, it's almost as if.... they are actually scoring them based on their individual skills..... An amazing new concept....
For Sota, two more judges had a difference of 2.5 between the highest and lowest component (judges #8 and #9)

thoakun

Final Flight
He is a jump machine, but I think we need a few of those to balance out all the emo lyrical skaters. :biggrin: If Wakaba can get away with it why not him?

Perhaps I'm in the minority here. This is my first time watching Men Junior Worlds and I expected Boyang to be a jumping monster with nothing else, but he seemed to have been working a lot on SS and musicality. He delivered his program with flair, certainly not skating through the music as I had expected :)

apple123

On the Ice
This is insane. How could a guy with 70 TES beat a guy with 90 TES? Is this still a sport? There are so many dodgy things in Shoma's score. The should-be-2T 3T, the 10 point gap in PCS. It's just disgusting. I really think Boyang is the rightful winner. Shame on the judges!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
First saw Andrew a few months in a thread in FSU with a vid posted by Sylvia, and have been keeping my eye out for him ever since. Finally saw the skate today, still has that wonderful presence, even at such a young age. If anything, he reminds me of Jason or of Josh with that presence, so it looks to me like he fits into with the "American" style of men's skating (if such exists). Except for the gloves. I hate to say anything negative about such a youngster, but I hope his parents lose the gloves.;) Otherwise, :cheer: Andrew.

I see a young Plushy, Yagudin and Sasha Abt (particularly if you watch his ex from US Nats - pure Sasha through and through). All of whom I daresay had "presence" themselves. But maybe these young skaters are like Rorscharch tests, and we all see whatever we want to see in them...

I like the gloves. :slink:

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
This is insane. How could a guy with 70 TES beat a guy with 90 TES? Is this still a sport? There are so many dodgy things in Shoma's score. The should-be-2T 3T, the 10 point gap in PCS. It's just disgusting. I really think Boyang is the rightful winner. Shame on the judges!

While I can see where you're coming from judging from Shoma's and Boyang's FS, other factors that led to Shoma edging out Boyang:

1) It was just the FS that Boyang won; Shoma had a 12-point advantage from the SP
2) Shoma's PCS was just 3 points higher than what he got at JGPF (and 6 points lower than what he got in 4CC though that's a senior event)
3) supposing Shoma got around the same PCS as he did at his JGPF FS, he'd still have a 2-point lead against Boyang (for what it's worth, Boyang had a 6-point increase in PCS from his JGPF)
4) The 3T<< call is probably dodgy, but we're not the technical caller in the event (it did look more like a botched 3T to me than a 4T, planned elements aside).

Disclaimer: I love both Shoma and Boyang but I think the result was just right. (To be quite honest though, I think Sota should've come in 4th, but he wasn't a big disaster in the SP compared to Nathan so he had the advantage carried over from there, too). And in the end, it's just us couch judging here in the forum. ^^;

apple123

On the Ice
While I can see where you're coming from judging from Shoma's and Boyang's FS, other factors that led to Shoma edging out Boyang:

1) It was just the FS that Boyang won; Shoma had a 12-point advantage from the SP
2) Shoma's PCS was just 3 points higher than what he got at JGPF (and 6 points lower than what he got in 4CC though that's a senior event)
3) supposing Shoma got around the same PCS as he did at his JGPF FS, he'd still have a 2-point lead against Boyang (for what it's worth, Boyang had a 6-point increase in PCS from his JGPF)
4) The 3T<< call is probably dodgy, but we're not the technical caller in the event (it did look more like a botched 3T to me than a 4T, planned elements aside).

Let's have a look point by point:

1. Shoma shouldn't have that much lead in sp. The GOE for his 3A and 3Lz is ridiculous, and the 4 point gap in PCS is just too much.
2. Don't compare PCS at different competitions. Just tell me how exactly the 10 point gap is normal when a guy had pulled off the skate of his life and the other guy had a subdued skate.
3. Nothing to add about the 3T. It should be downgraded to a 2T. Simple as that.

Now tell me who is the rightful winner?