2016-17 GPF Ladies FS | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies FS

Lzbee

Final Flight
Here's some charts and graphs for analysing individual judges scores for each skater if anyone's interested. I got the scores by calculating them from the protocol with GOE factors.

My personal take-aways from the analysis:
  • National bias definitely exists. The Russian, Japanese and Canadian judges all gave their skaters higher scores.
  • All actual final scores are within 1 point of the mean average of total judges scores. No skater received a lower score than their average so somehow, the high scores are persisting over the lowball scores.
  • Some judges are fighting against score inflation, eg. French judge.
  • Australian judge would've given Satoko the world record and then taken it from her to give to Evgenia... Japanese judge would've given Satoko the world record by a big margin (~3pts) and the Russian judge would've given Evgenia the world record too (>1pt). :disapp:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Very interesting. Just like to add:

If the French judge was "the mean" judge (except to the top two), the Japanese judge was "the nice judge" to everybody but Medvedeva.

The national bias is noticeable: the Japanese judge was "off" by the most points (for his/her own skater), the Russian boosted Russian skaters modestly (except for poor Elena) and really dinged everyone else, and the Canadian judge's deviations were modest in both directions.

Last edited:

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
:dance3: This was a fantastic GPF (especially in comparison to the men...)! Thoughts on each lady:

Elena: Neeeeeeeeesuuuuuuunnnnn Dorrmmma!!!!! Oh Turandot. I kind of miss singing along to Titanic. Elena struggled a bit, but she fought throughout the program and finished strong. Kudos for that 3Lz3T in the second half! I wish her the best of luck at Russian Nationals (it's going to be a bloodbath).
Maria: Her programs are on the snooze-y side for me, but she's an elegant and graceful skater. She's young and can only improve.
Anna: Fire. Absolute fire. Pogo has been skating with so much confidence this season, and I love it. Her coach screaming with joy --> me.
Kaetlyn: Bit of a pop star today. But I really liked her, and it was still a good skate despite the mistakes. Consider me a fan!
Satoko: :party: :party: :party: Her Planets/Star Wars program is, by far, my favorite program among the ladies this season, and it was beautifully performed. Superb and polished skating. Great job!
Evgenia: I'm sadly going to be a broken record all season: great skater, needs better programs.

And yeah...scoring in general across the disciplines are...:confused2: PCS are often lol, and tech calls are very inconsistent. It's rather unfortunate, and it hurts skaters when they don't have consistent or proper feedback.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These scores have almost completely hampered my spirit and enthusiasm for the sport. Satoko and Zhenia are good but their scores are just not on par with my own reality. I'm losing faith quickly in the sport aspect of figure skating and am on the verge of not caring at all. Thank god there is Gubanova to recharge my artistic and athletic spirit animal.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I do not hate any skater. I appreciate all of them. Some just are little bit more boring than others. I persuate if they can do different types of programmes. Evgenia's have been much the same type, imo, including dresses. And I think presentation is a part of figure skaters, but that much acting belongs to gala. But this competition (notice just a fan, without any expert knowledge) would have liked this order:

1. Anna
2. I would have put Satoko's and Evgenia's names to hat and raffle. Clean Evgenia is better than clean Satoko, but this time she was not clean.

The rest are ok. Clean Kaitlyn without pops maybe winner. She is quite popular now in Finland after winning Finland Trophy and being lovely person there.

Many of Russian young talent ladies seem to lose their confidence when they grow, expect Anna, who is going to opposite direction. Let's see what will happen with Evgenia. Hope she will not to lose it.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I haven't read this thread, but I must point out that Medvedeva cheated the second Triple-Triple again and was not called for it, again. Also, I tried to watch her program and give it a fair chance, really. But that footwork sequence is one of the worst things ever in skating and the concept of the program is eye-rolling pretentious. I can't believe this is where we are at and it's receiving the highest scores ever.

It's too bad Pogorilaya missed the ending to her LP, because that was almost the overall best female performance of the whole season. She actually has REAL jumps and program that showcases real maturity.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Kaetlyn'S music the same as Satoko's SP music?

Not sure if anyone responded. Satoko's short is Musetta's Waltz from the opera La Boheme. Katelyn uses several pieces from La B. and one of them is Musetta's Waltz. I love that waltz! :)

Aino

Rinkside
It's boring... We allready know who is going to win at the worlds. I have a ticket that cost a lot of money and feel kind of cheated. I'm hoping Mao will be there, even though she isn't at her best at the moment, she is allways a joy to watch.
The scoring of performance, composition and interpretation of music seems to be very subjective. I would like to understand, why the winner of this competition has clearly over 9 in all these categories and the rest have under 9. What are the spesific criteria?

Has it allways been like this? I think I'm going to start watching some other sport instead.

And finally an opinion: I think if Anna succeeds technically, she should win at worlds. I also like Kaetlyn, she should also be at the podium.

Last edited:

elif

Medalist
It's boring... We allready know who is going to win at the worlds. I have a ticket that cost a lot of money and feel kind of cheated. I'm hoping Mao will be there, even though she isn't at her best at the moment, she is allways a joy to watch.
The scoring of performance, composition and interpretation of music seems to be very subjective. I would like to understand, why the winner of this competition has clearly over 9 in all these categories and the rest have under 9. What are the spesific criteria?

Has it allways been like this? I think I'm going to start watching some other sport instead.

And finally an opinion: I think if Anna succeeds technically, she should win at words. I also like Kaetlyn, she should also be at the podium.

You can give your ticket to me, I would like to see performances of skaters rather than looking only final results to see which skaters surprised us. :laugh:

This sport survived Patrick Chan winning splatfests. Worrying about Medvedeva's gold series is very funny.:laugh:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Here's some charts and graphs for analysing individual judges scores for each skater if anyone's interested. I got the scores by calculating them from the protocol with GOE factors.

My personal take-aways from the analysis:
  • National bias definitely exists. The Russian, Japanese and Canadian judges all gave their skaters higher scores.
  • All actual final scores are within 1 point of the mean average of total judges scores. No skater received a lower score than their average so somehow, the high scores are persisting over the lowball scores.
  • Some judges are fighting against score inflation, eg. French judge.
  • Australian judge would've given Satoko the world record and then taken it from her to give to Evgenia... Japanese judge would've given Satoko the world record by a big margin (~3pts) and the Russian judge would've given Evgenia the world record too (>1pt). :disapp:

Thank you for posting, very interesting! Yes, the national bias is hardly deniable... but it's not as if some of the other judges' scores are making me want to applaud them either. The french judge had Satoko over Anna by over 10 points! The australian judge is just inflating everyone like crazy... and it seems the american judge really doesn't like Evgenias program. I think I'd agree most with the korean and czech judges out of this group.

Regarding Evgenias program, I know it has been talked to death already, but what really irks me is how did her team think this was a good idea? No matter where you are yourself on the 'this is fine' to 'this is offensive and disgusting' range, wasn't it crytsal clear with that topic + execution (VO in the steps) that there would be a lot of people saying the latter? Even if you think they're just being over sensitive, wasn't it 100% foreseeable it would be there? So why are you giving this to a sweet 17-year old girl to execute? I've talked to non FS fans about this, just saying that it's there and roughly explaining the program... and every reaction ever was 'well, why?', or 'wow, stupid'. And that's exactly what it is... a god dang stupid decision by her coaching team. And stupidity irks me.
I really hope Evgenia will decide to try a different choreographer next season. It's unlikely, given it's the olympic season and her scores, but one can hope. She'll win everything anyway, so I really hope she'll do it with good material.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I actually quite like the music of Evgenia's FS. The piano piece is nice and fits her airy skating. I think most people don't even realize what it's about. In german Eurosport they never mentioned it, and the voiceovers, if you're not really listening you won't get it. I certainly wouldn't know if I hadn't read about it here on GS. No matter what, the judges go with it. They either don't care or they like it.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
She'll win everything anyway, so I really hope she'll do it with good material.

This. It's obvious she's the chosen one no matter how the others perform and if she makes a few mistakes. At least give her good material for the next season because winning with a crappy program is just giving her huge talent injustice. She's so talented but her programs are just sooo pretentious, not to mention recycled with different music.

voolfee

On the Ice
I must point out that Medvedeva cheated the second Triple-Triple again and was not called for it, again. Also, I tried to watch her program and give it a fair chance, really. But that footwork sequence is one of the worst things ever in skating and the concept of the program is eye-rolling pretentious.
Omg, people, from where you have so much anger and hate? :no: Medvedeva is a clean winner of this GPF and didn't cheated nothing. For cheating please watch Miyahara's performances.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Omg, people, from where you have so much anger and hate? :no: Medvedeva is a clean winner of this GPF and didn't cheated nothing. For cheating please watch Miyahara's performances.

The german commentators said that Evgenia's jumps are higher than Anna's. It didn't seem that way, but can anyone in the arena confirm?

I think it's a turnoff for the casual viewer because Evgenia fell. It just disturbs the whole program and even if she did the combo later on, it just seems weird that the most visible error is not reflecting in the score. I know why, we all know why it is like this. But it won't get this sport new fans, if a skater can do whatever and still win with a record score and a huge margin over her competitors.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
my small and unimportant opinion abut performances produced is that Anna was from other galaxy, period. I really don't know much about technical specifics/requirementsas ignoramus am I, so I won't touch overscoring/underscoring/carrots, sticks, stones subjects. I know it's embarassing, because tech score is a major part of success/defeat of single skater and being well-oriented in that definitely expands perspective and makes comparisions more clear and justified. I only can make my opinion on actual skate, perfromance put on ice and in that terms Anna outskated everyone for me - from majestic, regal presence, vivid, engaged interpretation, drama and flare in expression amped just right for the music and choreography to ice coverage and flow in movement.

She showed a ray of pure, dramatic and poised perfection - this was probably her best FS performance ever, the unity between music, her skating, expression on her face, in her body was astonishing. I really love the way she emotes, interprets music, choreography - she's doing it in a very mature, sophisticated way, with this majestic carriage on ice, not being painfully literal or over-the-top. It's more of 'impressionist' kind of portraying he program: she's been given with music, choreography, costume, but on ice she creates something very unique, individual by using her expression, way of movement, innate drama flare she has, colouring the frame given with various shades. There were oments more lyric, reflective alongside very dramatic and sensual ones, this program - so fabulously executed - really shows her range and versatility.

Her presentation never felt so strong and profound for me, maybe only SP at Boston Worlds can be close - it could be due to powerful jumps, fast, musical spins/steps or both, mixing it with such strong interpretation.

And the highlight of this skate was how satisfied she was, the warrioress with so bumpy road, but with newly acquired nerves from fine steel. The reaction from her and her team was priceless, the way the both held Anna's hands waiting for score, Tsareva's excitement and this other man smile and pride oozing from him (who is he as he seems for me some kind of 'lucky charm' for Anna?) and so much of happines after score was showed.

whatif

Medalist
The german commentators said that Evgenia's jumps are higher than Anna's. It didn't seem that way, but can anyone in the arena confirm?

I think it's a turnoff for the casual viewer because Evgenia fell. It just disturbs the whole program and even if she did the combo later on, it just seems weird that the most visible error is not reflecting in the score. I know why, we all know why it is like this. But it won't get this sport new fans, if a skater can do whatever and still win with a record score and a huge margin over her competitors.

First of she did not fall! Secondly she invalidated a step out on that missed combo by adjusting her already packed second half with the replacement combo.

As for her jumps, I do not listen to many commentators, but TAT and Tara always mention that her jumps are her strongest asset. She can crack them up like nothing.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
First of she did not fall! Secondly she invalidated a step out on that missed combo by adjusting her already packed second half with the replacement combo.

As for her jumps, I do not listen to many commentators, but TAT and Tara always mention that her jumps are her strongest asset. She can crack them up like nothing.

Exactly, TAT and Tara, and many many tech panels Medvedeva passed understand the sport much better than self proclaimed local experts who play the same tiresome tune over and over again and even make special threads for that. I don't even need IMO for that.

Medvedeva is a much better jumper than Satoko. Full stop. And this is important because Satoko is second and without one random UR call (there should have been much more than that) she would get more than 220.

Although Zhenya is undeniably the best skater in the world now my heart was with Anna, though. She is a true diva and she connects emotionally. It's also amazing how she improved her consistency this season.

whatif

Medalist
Although Zhenya is undeniably the best skater in the world now my heart was with Anna, though. She is a true diva and she connects emotionally. It's also amazing how she improved her consistency this season.

Anna and Zhenya are equally strong. Both have their strengths. Two completely different schools. Anna is more old school, Evgenia reflects the new era. Tough job for judges in the future.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not sure if anyone responded. Satoko's short is Musetta's Waltz from the opera La Boheme. Katelyn uses several pieces from La B. and one of them is Musetta's Waltz. I love that waltz! :)

No, nobody answered my question before you and I totally forgot I even asked! Usually I search Wikipedia this kind of info, but I must've gotten distracted. So thanks!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

I stand corrected. She did not fall. I'm sorry. For some reason I remembered it that way.