2016-17 GPF Ladies FS | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies FS

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
But OMG don't I cringe at her jumping style. That extended leg from a swat position, is just tough to look at.

Don't let Tsareva hear that! ;)

I had a mean thought...looking at that audience...I understand why they went with Satoko. There were no obvious mistakes....

Lzbee

Final Flight
I am delighted with how well Anna skated today, she looked so relaxed and confident especially in the first half and her 3Lz-3T combo was effortless (I do wish she'd fix the entry to that though). She well and truly deserved her score.

Kaetlyn is a great skater and she's on her way to making me a fan but her artistry still hasn't quite grown on me yet. Her scores were held up a little bit today imo considering she had a quite a few pops, I'd have given her about 133 but what do I know.

Poor Elena, she struggled today and you could see her trying to hold in the tears. Hopefully, it doesn't knock her confidence too much since I believe she has a lot more to offer with the right program.

Maria is growing on me. She was lovely today and I think her artistry and speed are improving. Her skating is so smooth and elegant but I would like her to find a little bit of fire in her since pretty princess does get a bit boring after a while.

Whatever you think of Evgenia, she is very good at putting on a performance and this brings in the casual viewers. The bent tano arms seem to creep in when she gets tired but it's very nice to see that they've improved that a lot. After fixing her missed combo in the second half, she definitely deserved to win here. As for the actual score... maybe should have been about 4 or 5 points lower.

Now Satoko... For the first time I'm actually very upset at how the scoring went here. I have a problem with Satoko's jumps in that I often don't realise she's jumped until she's landed because she looks like she's going to do a twizzle. So how can the tech panel see such blatant cheated take-offs and not penalise them?? Her jumps did get better in the second half but they were nowhere near as good as yesterday and comparing them to Kaetlyn's and Anna's, it's completely non-sensical the scores she got. Out of the 7 jump elements she did, Judge 3 gave her +3's for 4 of them, +2's for 2 of them and even a +1 for the underrotated flip. And guess what, Judge 3 also happens to be Japanese. The national bias is just too obvious that you don't even need to do a graphical analysis. That said, I do like her Star Wars program but she definitely robbed someone of a silver and maybe even a bronze. :angry1:

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Crap scoring.

For all the concerns about Miyahara's URs, there should be an equal amount of criticism about Medvedeva's pre-rotations. Both are huge errors. There is no "secret" to their consistency, it's much easier to land jumps if you're spinning on the ice the majority of the time.

The most ridiculous thing is that the tech panel is so inconsistent. I can already see Miyahara getting hammered at Worlds like in Boston after scoring so high throughout the past season.

I ranted yesterday about how an inflated scoring range would allow skaters to win with mistakes and it's exactly what happened with Medvedeva here; the best program today did not win. Pogorilaya should have won the free.

applemango

Rinkside
Now Satoko... For the first time I'm actually very upset at how the scoring went here. I have a problem with Satoko's jumps in that I often don't realise she's jumped until she's landed because she looks like she's going to do a twizzle. So how can the tech panel see such blatant cheated take-offs and not penalise them?? Her jumps did get better in the second half but they were nowhere near as good as yesterday and comparing them to Kaetlyn's and Anna's, it's completely non-sensical the scores she got. Out of the 7 jump elements she did, Judge 3 gave her +3's for 4 of them, +2's for 2 of them and even a +1 for the underrotated flip. And guess what, Judge 3 also happens to be Japanese. The national bias is just too obvious that you don't even need to do a graphical analysis. That said, I do like her Star Wars program but she definitely robbed someone for a silver and maybe even a bronze. :angry1:

Aren't the highest scores automatically removed, anyway? Anyway, too harsh on her robbing someone. She's not to blame.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Satoko getting a plus three on even her best jump already signals that we may have a Sith Lord in control of the senate. Be mindful of your feelings :coffee:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
What irks me about this is that the scoring is so uneven. If the judges are going to inflate scores, they need to do it equally.

Miyahara should NOT be able to do tiny jumps and get the same TES as Pogorilaya. Whether the judges see the UR or not, Miyahara should have +1 MAX on her jumps. They usually should be 0 GOE. She has other great qualities in terms of choreo, interpretation, and polish. But you can't give her the same marks for her technical content as the other women when the other women go clean. It doesn't make sense. The score is even more ridiculous when the judges don't call her on the URs.

Then, there's Osmond. Someone else said this earlier, but having good presence on the ice- good posture, skating fast, looking at the audience, etc.- IS NOT the same as having good choreo and interpretation. Osmond has good presence but she's still, IMO, less good with choreo, composition, interpretation, and performance execution. Her LP is way less good- it's plodding, boring, and mostly empty except for a few choice facial expressions- than her SP and should be marked accordingly. It's highway robbery for her to get 136.91 (and 70+ in PCS) with the so-so quality of her program and multiple jumping mistakes.

Finally, Mevedeva's obviously outstanding when she's on. But if she's struggling through for her standards (off on her landings, etc.), she shouldn't be knocking on the door of a world record score.

Compare these three to Pogorilaya and Sotskova who were more appropriately scored for what they actually did. I'd have 1. Medvedeva (about 5 points lower) 2. Pogorilaya 3. Miyahara (about 5 points lower) 4. Osmond (about 5 points lower) 5. Sotskova 6. Radionova

:clapper: I could not say better. And I agree with the last point. I would just give Sotskova at least 5 points more - she deserved to break 200 and her called URs were much more dubious than uncalled Satoko's.

But overall an outstanding event - may be the best GPF ever.

Lzbee

Final Flight
Aren't the highest scores automatically removed, anyway? Anyway, too harsh on her robbing someone. She's not to blame.

They are removed but they still skew the results upwards since it allows the normal level of anomalies to occur. I'm not blaming her but she did rob someone of silver. Apparently it's ok to say Evgenia robs medals but not ok for other skaters.

applemango

Rinkside
They are removed but they still skew the results upwards since it allows the normal level of anomalies to occur. I'm not blaming her but she did rob someone of silver. Apparently it's ok to say Evgenia robs medals but not ok for other skaters.

Apparently? I didn't say it's ok for Evgenia to rob medals or any skaters for that matter. Can we not blame the skaters personally for the scoring biases?

Lzbee

Final Flight
Apparently? I didn't say it's ok for Evgenia to rob medals or any skaters for that matter. Can we not blame the skaters personally for the scoring biases?

Like I said, I'm not blaming her. I'm stating what happened.

applemango

Rinkside
Like I said, I'm not blaming her. I'm stating what happened.

Ok I get what you mean but the words you chose does not equal to what you're really trying to say. It sounds harsher. SkaterX robbed medals off another skater is an active action in which the skater actively skewed the scores.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
To be honest, if Evgenia is overscored, Satoko is overscored in a bigger way. Her jumps vs. Anna's are night and day, and she does not have Anna's speed and fluid glide over the ice. I would put Anna for Silver. Satoko's boots always look too heavy, because even when she is not jumping, her feet are very close to the ice. She has some nice movements, but nothing to be compared to Mao or Akiko.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok I get what you mean but the words you chose does not equal to what you're really trying to say. It sounds harsher. SkaterX robbed medals off another skater is an active action in which the skater actively skewed the scores.

I think we should encourage the ladies to start snatching the medals off of each other :popcorn:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Crap scoring.

For all the concerns about Miyahara's URs, there should be an equal amount of criticism about Medvedeva's pre-rotations. Both are huge errors. There is no "secret" to their consistency, it's much easier to land jumps if you're spinning on the ice the majority of the time.

There's not a single judge who EVER penalised Evgenia's jumps because of the pre-rotation, sorry.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Should be easy, considering the medals look like they're made of cardboard :slink:

I think the drama would be next level if at WC the medals were made of gold/silver/bronze foil wrapped chocolates. Considering that after WC they can probably eat chocolate again we may see our first multiple medal winners in an individual ISU event. :dance2:

Last edited: