2016-17 GPF Ladies SP | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies SP

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The SP was held by Mao Asada after 2014 Worlds, and Yuna had an extra element ;)

Mao WR TES and Evgenia's were pretty close. I think Mao skating in the same event as Caro might have held back her PCS a bit, whereas Evgenia was the class of the field here.

liv

Record Breaker
All the girls skated really well. No falls??? I do not see evgenia almost 4 points ahead, but whatever. It was a good sp competition.

I just wish we would see someone pushing the sport. In the men we have people pushing things and raising the bar... same in pairs.

matcha

Medalist
Your statement is EXACTLY what is wrong with the judging in this sport. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BASED ON REPUTATION IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE BASED ON WHAT THE EFFING SKATER PUTS OUT ON THE ICE THAT DAY.

It's a judged sport. You can call it reputation, or subjectivity. It's going anywhere.

skatespin

On the Ice
Evengia is very talented and she is better than many, but that was not better than Mao's gorgeous Nocturne with a clean 3A at a world championships. I'm not even sure it was better than Yuna's 2010 Olympics SP.

The girl does nearly the same skate every time, what makes this time worth more than last time? Getting points for consistency is a slippery slope and bad for the sport.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Why are so few people in attendance?

Because these organizers messed up big time. Lots of people gave up when they found out that the seats were not numbered, and lots of persistent ones gave up when they had problems with actual buying tickets and/or getting information.

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Like beauty, skating is in the eye of the beholder. Some skaters just float my boat more than others and Medvedeva doesn't do it for me. Next season I want her to skate to a warhorse like Carmen, no more of this little girl doe-eyed schtick. And I want to buy her a sandwich. And outlaw multiple jumps with the hand above the head and call it the Medvedeva rule.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
There's nothing surprising about the scoring here, we all knew this was coming. Most of the skaters are within a few points of each other (except Elena & Maria I suppose), and we knew Evgenia was likely to lead by a few points. Only real surprise might be that Kaetlyn is sitting in second... but Satoko & Anna are only about a point away. We'll see if Kaetlyn can hold it together for the free and stay up there.

MalAssada

Medalist
So's gymnastics, a sport that has a much more objective judging that is also easier to understand.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Enough is enough. Mao's SP at 2014 Worlds is better than this. Period.

Records are meant to be broken.

Even Yuna's scores at 2010 OG were insanely high, but inflating scores is usual at GPF, Worlds or the Olympics. (Yuna herself broke her records many times)

Personally i'm still thinking that Liza Tuktamysheva should have the WR for the SP: that program was clearly made to broke the record and judges gave her lower GOEs than what she got at the Europeans...

Warwick360

Medalist
YuNa had one more technical element than Mao and Evgenia Rules favored Kim actually.

I think Mrs P is talking about the LP WR score. Not the SP. The SP got broken in 2014, making it only 4 years.

AS for the extra technical element (ie, spiral), let's face it, the choreo sequence and the vastly inflated PCS scores more than make up for it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Your statement is EXACTLY what is wrong with the judging in this sport. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BASED ON REPUTATION IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE BASED ON WHAT THE EFFING SKATER PUTS OUT ON THE ICE THAT DAY.

Every judged sport is like this. Kaetlyn was great and earned a fantastic score. Obviously, when a skater who has been defeated once in two seasons skates well again, her scores will continue to build.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I knew she'd get the WR rather sooner than later but I DONT GET IT! How was that better than at SC? or TdF??? And why is her PCS always better than that of the others even when they skate clean as well (f.e. Katelyn)???

She's great, but what's always better about her than everyone else? Consistency shouldnt matter in the moment. I will never understand... :(

She skates like a feather. Today it was even clearer than SC or TDF. Effortless loop, effortless axel. Butterfly. No one in the world can skate like that.