2016-17 GPF Ladies SP | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies SP

Icey

Record Breaker
+ the seats have no backs.
+ and this is a big +, the ticket prices for gold seats were WAY WAY WAY more expensive than Barcelona.

Oh, and the venue is in a crappy area when you compare it to the awesomeness of Barcelona i.e. right next door to 1. the beach 2. a gigantic shopping mall and 3. underground, bus and tram transportation.

It pains me to watch the venue with so many empty seats. :-(

Why did the ISU allow the competition to be held at this venue then? How could they not have foreseen all the shortcomings of the place?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Why did the ISU allow the competition to be held at this venue then? How could they not have foreseen all the shortcomings of the place?

Well, who doesn't love a trip to the Mediterranean in winter. Enjoy the beach ISU Members, ...oops...I mean the rink. :dev2:

Last edited:

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Turned off by the scoring here. Seriously. No wonder i don't follow the ladies senior anymore. i prefer the other disciplines now, especially men--which really made incredible progress. Jin's inclusion would have placed the tech level of this competition through the roof.

For me...Osmond deserves FIRST place. PERIOD.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Spins were always there for Kaetlyn, with level 4's since 2012-13 season. I think some are just now realizing how good she is...SURPRISE!

Level 4's doesn't mean anything, it's about the quality. Her positions and steadiness while spinning has improved. She used to do a weak flying sit spin and now she does a solid flying camel. Sideways position on the layback is better and speed held until the very end. The stretch in the combination spin is better. She has definitely improved in this area. In the past it would be a reason that Evgenia would actually deserve to be ahead, but not anymore. Osmond is now the better all-around skater, when she puts it together perfectly.

Icey

Record Breaker
Haha. I guess I don't mind the skipping to show happiness. At least I understood that! But I still contend that if you are telling a story you should want folks to understand, or why bother.
It's almost demeaning of the choreographer to be so high browed to use some sort of high art, that only the high brow, educated artistic type can understand. I'm not sure skating is the place for this.
Bring it down to the masses plz!
It seemed evident to me through the choreography and her execution of it that she was presenting a girl doing the kinds of play things girls that age do. Bewildered so many don't get it.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I think it's also important to note that world records in figure skating aren't actually acknowledged under the ISU: they're called season's best and they don't carry over after the season ends. This list is used to give skaters their Grand Prix assignments and were previously used to determine start order at competitions. Worlds records are just something that the fans have come up with.

Yes, technically that's correct. The records are listed on ISU's own website though, they just label it something else, with a notation: - The best results achieved in competitions operating under the ISU Judging System are referred to as "highest scores" and "personal bests". The ISU does not currently recognize the highest scores as "World records".

Technicality Smechnicality. Same difference.

Kirei

On the Ice
There is a set series of bullet points for GOEs right? Ideally, each judge should mark the bullet points they think the skater achieved, and then apply the deduction(s). The computer then calculate the final GOE. It would make everything much clearer for the audience and the skaters.
I know it's more time consuming and may not be feasible, but according to the ISU guidelines, it's exactly what judges should be doing. So if they don't allow enough time to do this (say through a regular-speed replay of certain elements a judge wants to take another look at), they are literally making it impossible for judges to do their jobs accurately. So we get GOEs based on a general impression/reputation, which are rarely consistent or unbiased.

Last edited:

Vladimir

Rinkside
Evgenia has the best presentation and interpretation of course. It's not the 'pop' of figure skating, it is art house. An elite art for those who understands what figure skating is all about. It's about truth in every movement, it's about right ballet positions, excellent musicallity - Medvedeva has got all of that. She has the most difficult transitions as well. She is soft on the ice. She is doing everything incredibly easy. Osmond and Pogorilaya are awfull comparing to her. No interpretation, just big, mature bodies, normal speed across the ice - that's all they have.

And by the way OSMOND HAS CLEAR FLUTZ AND SHE DARES TO PUT IT IN THE SHORT PROGRAM!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ yeah.. because Kaetlyn is still working on it, making it better and better while Med uses it only in FS to hide it from the judges ?? just a question not a statement ;)

Vladimir

Rinkside
^^ yeah.. because Kaetlyn is still working on it, making it better and better while Med uses it only in FS to hide it from the judges ?? just a question not a statement ;)

Kaetlyn is not working on it - clear flutz, deep inside edge, same entry as before. Med changed entry in her senior career, no flutz anymore, clear (!) jump. And Med changed her entry in LP for this GPF, you'll see it. So who is working on it? Osmond simply knows that corrupt canadian or pro-canadian judjes in technical pannel will not put her (e) that she deserves. You must put your best jumps in short programm, that'z clear. Med can easily put lutz in SP and get even more points. Pogo can put flip and Radi too. But they don't because they have problems with those jumps. Only Osmond can allow herself to put permanent (e)-jump in SP again and again.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
certainly as osmond has been saved by the judges for years and years.
Kaetlyn is not working on it - clear flutz, deep inside edge, same entry as before. Med changed entry in her senior career, no flutz anymore, clear (!) jump. And Med changed her entry in LP for this GPF, you'll see it. So who is working on it? Osmond simply knows that corrupt canadian or pro-canadian judjes in technical pannel will not put her (e) that she deserves. You must put your best jumps in short programm, that'z clear. Med can easily put lutz in SP and get even more points. Pogo can put flip and Radi too. But they don't because they have problems with those jumps. Only Osmond can allow herself to put permanent (e)-jump in SP again and again.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Evgenia has the best presentation and interpretation of course. It's not the 'pop' of figure skating, it is art house. An elite art for those who understands what figure skating is all about. It's about truth in every movement, it's about right ballet positions, excellent musicallity - Medvedeva has got all of that. She has the most difficult transitions as well. She is soft on the ice. She is doing everything incredibly easy. Osmond and Pogorilaya are awfull comparing to her. No interpretation, just big, mature bodies, normal speed across the ice - that's all they have.

And by the way OSMOND HAS CLEAR FLUTZ AND SHE DARES TO PUT IT IN THE SHORT PROGRAM!!!

I hope you are only a troll.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
just finished watching the ladies

Satoko skates so beautifully. She has impeccable softness in her skating that everything seems so together, so fluid. She should have gotten a couple URs (3T and 3Lo) but everything is just beautiful. She looks confused in the K&C when her scores came up. Who wouldn't? One competition she got dinged on just about everything and on the other, she gets full credit. The lack of consistency in the tech calls are just mindblowingly terrible. :palmf:

Maria is a beautiful skater and don't take this the wrong way but she has the body of a supermodel. Her Lutz covered a lot of ice, her 3T pales in comparison to it especially as part of the combo.

Elena is charming as usual and sells her program like it's no one's business. But her edges were rough and her movements are all over the place for me.

I LOLed at Anna's entrance. Not her best outing but still good! That 3Lz tho was telegraphed more than before.

KAETLYN WAS THE STAR OF THIS EVENT. She has improved so much. She sells her program well. IMO, she deserved to win here. Her 3F+3T was absolutely fantastic.

This is Zhenya's best SP performance. She skates smoother here. It was a beautiful skate from her. Her scores are just so inflated that if she continues to be consistent, she'll break 80 pts by Europeans. I bet she will score 85 at Nationals if she skates like this there. I like her so much but man, she's being held up in an unfair and ridiculous way. She was not better than Kaetlyn PCS-wise and also TES-wise. A 36.66 PCS is a joke. She just doesn't have the skills proportionate to that score. At least not yet. Even tho I'm not surprised at all and knew it was coming, it's still pretty ridiculous.

I've said it before and I will say it again. The scoring system is not the problem but the people who are manipulating it. The inconsistency of the tech calls from competition to competition is confusing people.

Vladimir

Rinkside
KAETLYN WAS THE STAR OF THIS EVENT. She has improved so much. She sells her program well. IMO, she deserved to win here. Her 3F+3T was absolutely fantastic.

This is Zhenya's best SP performance. She skates smoother here. It was a beautiful skate from her. Her scores are just so inflated that if she continues to be consistent, she'll break 80 pts by Europeans. I bet she will score 85 at Nationals if she skates like this there. I like her so much but man, she's being held up in an unfair and ridiculous way. She was not better than Kaetlyn PCS-wise and also TES-wise. A 36.66 PCS is a joke. She just doesn't have the skills proportionate to that score. At least not yet. Even tho I'm not surprised at all and knew it was coming, it's still pretty ridiculous.

I've said it before and I will say it again. The scoring system is not the problem but the people who are manipulating it. The inconsistency of the tech calls from competition to competition is confusing people.

OSMOND'S PCS IS A JOKE! NO CHOREOGRAPHY, ALMOST NO HARD TRANSITIONS. Ok, she had good energy in her programm, didn't fall as usual, but that's all. The scoring system is a problem? Ok, it's a problem just because Osmond has clear flutz in SP, everyone can see it, but not the canadian technical pannel.

What Medvedeva does... it is much more difficult then Osmond's simple and old program. And every pro knows that. Weir, Lipinski, Hamilton etc... Evgenia is almost perfect. Medvedeva has excellent and DIFFICULT choreo, the program has clear story, she feels it perfectly. The transtions are best too.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
OSMOND'S PCS IS A JOKE! NO CHOREOGRAPHY, ALMOST NO HARD TRANSITIONS. Ok, she had good energy in her programm, didn't fall as usual, but that's all. The scoring system is a problem? Ok, it's a problem just because Osmond has clear flutz in SP, everyone can see it, but not the canadian technical pannel.

What Medvedeva does... it is much more difficult then Osmond's simple and old program. And every pro knows that. Weir, Lipinski, Hamilton etc... Evgenia is almost perfect. Medvedeva has excellent and DIFFICULT choreo, the program has clear story, she feels it perfectly. The transtions are best too.

Okay this is too ...:laugh2: :laugh2:

Like Christmas you are Vladimir, only here to offer your opinions but once a year, whether we needs it or not. Stick around and perhaps you will learn something. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

millie

Medalist

I suspect someone is a wee bit jealous of Kaetlyn Osmond and scared that she may beat out your Russian girls....lol....You can read the contempt and hatered in your words.

eta

Medalist
So... did Osmond flutz? I only paid attention to non-jump elements...

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I do not share many of Vladimir's points. But I do believe that Medvedeva brought a lot of technical finesse into the skating which was hardly there before. May be only with Mao to a point. Even Caro with her telegraphed jumps is the previous generation. I like how Kaetlin skates this year - no doubt about her qualities. But she again tends to the previous generation standards.

I know many local "gurus" think that how it should be: 10 second spiral sequences, long skating between elements to accentuate them which includes just plain skating like doing crossovers. But again, like it or not - that's not how it will be in the near future. And Zagitova with Gubanova just proved that: no spare time, no crossover sections, many transitions, many positions, backloading. And then finally quads. 10 second spirals will be left to galas.