2016-17 GPF Pairs FS | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Pairs FS

Ice Diva

On the Ice
T/M winning with overblown PCS for a lackluster, snoozy program - calling it.

And many would completely disagree. T/M's program had some flaws like all the pairs today (and I hate the music) but they have way better speed, skating skills, body positions, lifts and unison than Y/Z. I think Y/Z got lucky - don't think their PCS should have been so high. I found their program slow, lots of stumbles; but they're a new team, so plenty of room to grow. D/R's program way better but just too many mistakes this time around.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
No, that would be the Marine Biologist! ;)

you just want to stare dreamily into the ocean with him while swimming with dolphins.

I just want to know what the heck that commercial is about? I mean it's in English so I feel like I should know.

I really don't want go over to ladies. They are a very rough bunch. Like friends in low places.

andromache

Record Breaker
you just want to stare dreamily into the ocean with him while swimming with dolphins.

I just want to know what the heck that commercial is about? I mean it's in English so I feel like I should know.

I really don't want go over to ladies. They are a very rough bunch. Like friends in low places.

Maybe the reasonable people can stay in here to discuss ladies? :laugh:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Apologies to D/R, who I genuinely like a lot, but I cannot help but state that I am over the moon with T/M's win. Wow! :party2::hap57::hap93: To top it all off, Z/E came fourth and not last, as many expected. Team Mozer (albeit a different one) defended their title. The result messes my predictions up, but what the hell! :laugh:

Vladimir's English:slink: So bad that it makes it almost cute)

Vladimir's English is cute. I think everyone could understand what he was saying and he understood the reporter. That to me is speaking a different language. Criticism can only come from someone who speaks a foreign language perfectly. This seems to be the case. Respect, HR4!

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Not the stellar pairs competition I was expecting/hoping for.

Glad to see T/M win. There is so much to like about their skating, you can definitely see the improvement from season to season. You have to admire them going for the 4Tw even though it hasn't really worked all season. I think they need to work on the final section of the programme. Looking at the protocols they had a level 2 and 3 lift plus the jump issues that could easily be a 140+ programme.

P/Z have done really well this season. I was not happy with how they got together but I like both pairs now. There is something pleasing to the way they skate. There final spin was invalidated not sure why. They deserved there second place.

D/R had a struggle all weekend but they are fighters. They seemed a bit subdued especially her. But when the tech is missing they tend to struggle a bit. compared to the top 2 couples they seemed empty.

Z/e done well. Getting called up at short notice and claiming 4th place, I had them down as a distant 6th. Glad to see S/B bounce back from a disappointing short but they are not quite at last years level, still I have them as a firm Canadian number 2. P/J were a bit disappointing, her jumps were awol and the lifts were a bit messy.

On the whole I would say it has been a disappointing season in senior pairs, to many messy and scrappy performances. Looking forward to the return of S/K in Russian Nationals.

TGee

Record Breaker
D/R was overscored. Y/Z deserved to be second, imho. Happy for T/M, I think their sp is a masterpiece, but LP could be improved, as it is boring in parts.
Vladimir's English:slink: So bad that it makes it almost cute)

HR4....just waiting to hear you communicate in a level 4 difficulty language like Russian, or a level 5 like Japanese.

Volodya was doing fine. Native English speakers have the most tolerant and forgiving ears of just about any major language group, in my experience.....other than perhaps Russians.....

Anglophones really can understand our language as spoken in so many different ways -- although we understand that many English as a second language speakers have difficulty with accents, dialects and folks who don't get the pronounciation and grammar in the version of English that they learned.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Vladimir needs to work on his English though :laugh:

Another one who is fluent in at least one foreign language. Good for you! Which one is it? And why does he need to improve it when everyone can understand what he said? Are there points for speaking English these days :rofl:

bobbob

Medalist
The judges are certainly making progress in their scoring of D/R. They got lower PCS than T/M and Y/Z with all three having programs with a similar number/severity of mistakes.

Duhamel and Radford's lines, posture, unity, etc. are missing, and this program highlights the lack of elegant choreography and lackluster interpretation. I think this year's FS is my least favorite program from them, the style just totally doesn't fit them. Personally, I would give them a similar level of components as S/B.

Honestly, I think their time is up. They will have a hard time finishing top 5 at worlds if Sui Han, S/K, S/M return to competition. Their PCS will continue to decline.